PDA

View Full Version : Hook

NPW
11-17-2002, 04:47 PM
Can anyone tell me the easiest way to put an Allison type lip on a pad?the hull was blue printed per suggestions from this board several months ago and the hook was removed,performance was lost,lift was lost we're just trying to get back as good as it was before.We've tried differant set ups with no gain.Any suggestions will be appreciated......NPW

BenKeith
11-17-2002, 07:02 PM
Wayne,

I believe I would slide it back on the trailer some, scuff the last foot with 120 grit and then take some of them throw-a-way brushes and start building a tapper with coats of clear gel. You should be able to put a coat about every 45 minutes - 1 hour if you have a way to keep it warm. Mix Duratec in the last coat or add the wax to seal it. Once you get enough build up, let it cure a day or two and then use a hand sanding block and work the tapper to regain the hook.

I sanded the hook out of my Stratos also. I haven't been able to run it WOT to see if it did the same or helped, so I may be doing the same thing. Skeet said a friend sanded the hook out of this Javilin (same designer Stratos) and lost five mph. The above was my game plan to replace it if it didn't work.

NPW
11-17-2002, 08:05 PM
Keith,
that Javelin is the one I'm working on now.Its my sons..Better luck on your stratos..Its a real pain in the butt working on one on the trailer,lying flat on your back..If wasn't so heavy would roll her over,my luck would drop her.. Good leason learned,be careful whose's advice ya take..:mad:

vector mike
11-17-2002, 08:12 PM
If you are building any kind of a hook into you bottom be sure to use some type of fiber in the resin. Resin by itself is brittle and could crack or even worse fall off. I have done 2 Hydrostream bottoms and had good luck at making them flat with no wedge on them. It must be the type of hull that you have not to see a gain in speed by making it flat. I personally talked to the people at Hydrostream and they told me to see more MPH I needed to remove the wedge and fill in the pad. So I did and it worked great. They told me that the reason for the wedge was to help it get on plane when back when they made them they didn't have the big HP motors that they have now. :)