PDA

View Full Version : Pro Boat Stiletto Tunnel

Skeet 2
05-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Has any one tried the new Stiletto Brushless Outboard Tunnel Hull by Pro Boat? It looks pretty quick in the youtube videos .I am thinking about buying one ,any input would be great. See it at ProBoat.com.:)

motorheadbishop
01-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Bought a stilletto boat about 7months ago...
Its cool runs great, but got tired of it pretty quick, runs about 45mph.
Sooooo I bought a brand new Velineon 3600kv and made a shaft bushing for it and
ran a water cooler around it... went up 4* in pitch in the prop...
ALL I can say is WOW!!!! You gotta drive it, come outta the hole at about 1/2 throttle
do a few laps and when you shower down on the throttle its more than it can take...
Have not GPS'd it yet but I've had it probley 80-85mph on 2 lipo's batteries before it wants to blow over...
It has more Rpms to go but can't get enough room to open it up with out flipn it by given it too much throttle to quickly...
Nothin like seen a full tunnel aired out comin right at ya and the outside sponsons are just bairly tappin the water! (SWEET!!!)

joed
01-07-2012, 05:16 PM
so how much was that con version

motorheadbishop
01-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Bought the motor off ebay... 110.00??? I Think....
Run stock Esc, its water cooled (opened up water holes to flow more water)
Took about 5hrs. to fabricate the conversion... But works great... (Unlimited throttle!!!)

2.5-21
01-12-2012, 06:18 AM
Any video?

BULLETRM
01-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Sounds cool,like to see some video as well

motorheadbishop
01-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Broke the drive shaft last time out...
Just ordered a new one should be here in about a week...
Always thought it would be cool to mount the go-pro on it!!!!
I'll get the new driveshaft in it and get some video of it soon...

Tom Foley
01-15-2012, 08:07 AM
There is a race in Melbourne today , take a ride up if you want to see the real deal !!

fichrman2
01-15-2012, 04:40 PM
There is a race in Melbourne today , take a ride up if you want to see the real deal !!

That or ride on up to RiverView for the WinterNationals in a few weeks-
140+ drivers/ 430+ boats 4 days of racing / a buttload of classes and talent from all over the country and then some .

Andy :cheers:

Mark Poole ModVP
01-15-2012, 10:29 PM
The Stiletto is a direct copy of the last tunnel boat that Tommy Lee built. ( I race with the guy that has the original wood boat) I am not suprised to hear that it runs and handles well. From what I have heard the heavy engine that it comes with is not ideal and the boat runs better with a different engine/lower unit set up.

hira2
03-05-2012, 08:56 AM
:reddevil:Has any one tried the new Stiletto Brushless Outboard Tunnel Hull by Pro Boat? It looks pretty quick in the youtube videos .I am thinking about buying one ,any input would be great. See it at ProBoat.com.

4fiddyR
05-18-2012, 01:46 PM
I just got mine today. Man it is a sweet little toy. The leading edge of the prop is damaged though. It will still go, but I hope they will send me a new prop.

I haven't assembled it yet, but planning on running it AND my real boat tomorrow.

rhickox
08-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Cant beat it for the money. Had mine bout 7 months and it's been really fun. Sand the bottom and spray with sandable primer, then wetsand lightly wit 600 or 800 grit paper. Makes it slick as eel crap. I upgraded to a Castle Creations 120 amp ESC and 2 MAX AMP 150C 11.1 volt batteries. All I can say is, it takes some time to get use to all that extra power!!

lakeella
10-20-2012, 11:57 PM
Has any one tried the new Stiletto Brushless Outboard Tunnel Hull by Pro Boat? It looks pretty quick in the youtube videos .I am thinking about buying one ,any input would be great. See it at ProBoat.com.:)

This motor is all that hull can really handle $32
Tacon 3660-540L-11T Brushless Motor 2200KV
http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m212-3660-2200kv-11t.html
Also get a CNC'd prop around 42mm $20
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=cnc-4214250

Run this on 4S and it'll scream. The highest KV you really want for 4S is 2200 to be realiable. anything higher and you'll eventually burn up ESC's

4fiddyR
10-22-2012, 09:43 AM
This motor is all that hull can really handle $32
Tacon 3660-540L-11T Brushless Motor 2200KV
http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m212-3660-2200kv-11t.html
Also get a CNC'd prop around 42mm $20
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=cnc-4214250

Run this on 4S and it'll scream. The highest KV you really want for 4S is 2200 to be realiable. anything higher and you'll eventually burn up ESC's

Mine is box stock and I am running on 4s LiPo and it hauls the mail.

I got to run it a few times last summer, but it does not like waves. I hit a wave, and the front end went under, as soon as the antenna went under water, I lost radio signal, and the motor went full throttle. The boat drove to the bottom of the lake, points down, and stayed there. It was in about 6 feet of water, so I swam out to get it, but, once I got out there it took a second for me to get the nuts to grab it because the prop was still spinning furiously. Once I did grab it, I held it so the prop stayed in the water so it didn't over spin the bearings or something. Once the transmitter reconnected with the receiver, it stopped.

At that point, I decided to read the manual, and I learned that you have to calibrate the ESC with the receiver or something by using the bind plug. Once I did that, I tried playing submarine with it again and did not have the problem. I am still a little nervous though because I am afraid it will take off and hit somebody.

lakeella
10-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Mine is box stock and I am running on 4s LiPo and it hauls the mail.

I got to run it a few times last summer, but it does not like waves. I hit a wave, and the front end went under, as soon as the antenna went under water, I lost radio signal, and the motor went full throttle. The boat drove to the bottom of the lake, points down, and stayed there. It was in about 6 feet of water, so I swam out to get it, but, once I got out there it took a second for me to get the nuts to grab it because the prop was still spinning furiously. Once I did grab it, I held it so the prop stayed in the water so it didn't over spin the bearings or something. Once the transmitter reconnected with the receiver, it stopped.

At that point, I decided to read the manual, and I learned that you have to calibrate the ESC with the receiver or something by using the bind plug. Once I did that, I tried playing submarine with it again and did not have the problem. I am still a little nervous though because I am afraid it will take off and hit somebody.

You can test your failsafe by turning everything on and then throttle up and hold it while u turn the radio off. Motor should stop. Are u using the stock radio?

4fiddyR
10-22-2012, 10:14 AM
You can test your failsafe by turning everything on and then throttle up and hold it while u turn the radio off. Motor should stop. Are u using the stock radio?

Yep, spektrum.

lakeella
10-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Yep, spektrum.
Dx2e?

4fiddyR
10-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Dx2e?

Sorry, I don't remember the model number. It is a confusing space-age looking thing with dials all over it.

pyro
02-16-2013, 07:33 PM
I want one of these, but it looks like they may have discontinued them. Waah!

rhickox
02-17-2013, 04:46 PM
After a lot of blow overs and roll overs with more power added and endless setup changes, I decided to purchase a boat that was more stable in the turns and top end. Ended up buyin an Aquacraft VS-1 all wood boat. They are sold as a boat only kit with all parts except the nitro outboard that is recommended for power. So I bought an outboard leg assembly minus motor and the electric motor conversion kit. Same Castle 120 ESC and a Leopard brushless motor... There is a huge difference in handling, cornering and top end. These are beginner boats.. If u really want to go fast, handle cornering and a boat that will handle higher speeds look into the LYNX tunnel. They are expensive, and made by a well known racer.. LYNX does have a website with contact info.

Trimmed Out15
02-18-2013, 10:15 AM
What about putting that esc and motor in one of their geico cats? Better handling and ruff water capabilities?

rhickox
02-18-2013, 11:10 AM
The Geico boat without a doubt would be much more stable cornering and on top. I can't speak from experience with the boat, but am pretty sure it would handle more power better than the Stilleto. I also have a 42" Catamaran fglass boat with a little hot rod 26cc gas engine and it is more fun than the other 2 I have. Its much easier to get set up correct, fill it back up with fuel and go back at it for another 30 minutes or so.

Trimmed Out15
02-18-2013, 11:42 AM
I also have a Gas cat which I love but was looking something smaller to take out on my real boat just to play around with while at the beach. I dont like bringing my gas cat and setup on the boat with us, its too big.

http://i48.tinypic.com/jkhxfq.jpg

Trimmed Out15
02-18-2013, 11:44 AM
Im new to the electric world, always ran nitro and gas, how long does it take to charge the batteries for the electric stuff now? I dont know much about it at all.

pyro
02-18-2013, 12:22 PM
20 to 45 minutes, depending on the current output of the charger. Lithium polymer is the standard for anything electric. They need special care-- Vehicles that use them have cutoff circuitry to stop them from being run below minimum voltage to prevent damage (usually 3.3 or 3.7v per cell) They use special chargers that balance the series cells in the pack to the same voltage. They need to be stored mostly discharged (around 3.8v per cell) to prolong pack life-- You only charge them up if you intend to run them. The charger can run them down to storage voltage with balanced discharging before you put them away. The packs are $25-$60 each depending on quality and mark-up. The chargers are around $40 and require a high-current 12V power source (plug-in supplies are available on Ebay for $20-$30.)

pyro
02-18-2013, 12:25 PM
I had my eye on the ProBoat Stilletto because it's ready-to-run, needing only regular flex-shaft greasing. I work for a living, and spare time is hard to find, so I don't have the time to build kits or order parts form multiple sources. I just want something for the sandbar on calm days that hauls ass and corners hard. Charge it and run. ;)

I already have a Traxxas Villain IV for rough-water days. You can't hurt that boat, but I've blown it over a few times coming off waves into a headwind.

fichrman2
02-20-2013, 09:58 AM
If u really want to go fast, handle cornering and a boat that will handle higher speeds look into the LYNX tunnel. They are expensive, and made by a well known racer.. LYNX does have a website with contact info.

Good luck getting your hands on Lynx right now, Carl has the molds back, but production has been slow coming and he has previous orders and pre-orders to fill first once they start up. You want one of the BEST running tunnels around right now- with outstanding cust service and just great people to deal with-
Look up Shawn Junker @ VisionCraft Boats. We are VERY tunnel heavy in our dist. and I can speak from experience after seeing and driving most of em. I love my ModVp version :cheers:

Andy

pyro
02-20-2013, 04:31 PM
I think I'm going to score a ProBoat Blackjack 29 for this summer. Looks like a good out-of-the-box performer, and a little less quirky than the outboards.

Trimmed Out15
02-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Decided to go with the Motley Crew Aquacraft 29" cat, ill let u know how it goes

pyro
03-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Got my Blackjack 29 yesterday.

They claim 50 mph out of the box on 6s power.