PDA

View Full Version : Hey Raceman,Do you remember a boat called an Ebko?

KG4
07-09-2001, 05:54 PM
It looks just like the carlson boat but it is flat in the back.My dad purchased a new one back in the early 70s and it was a piece of **** but the cool part is he found his old boat last year and it had a sign on it that said free boat and trailor so i picked it up it needs alot of work bu i am going to restore it for my boys

Raceman
07-10-2001, 07:14 AM
No, never saw that one that I know of. Get us a picture.

Way2Fast
07-17-2001, 04:38 PM
The Ebco tunnel was made in the midwest. My memory fails me when I try to remember where. It was 15 feet with a rounded bow and had a full tunnel which was fairly deep for a 15 footer. (not like the carlson contender, which was almost flat at the rear) My buddy owned both the Carlson with a 150 inline and an Ebco with the same power, later to be increased to a Johnson 235 V6. The Carlson's top speed was around 60 and pounder your guts out. The Ebco was made extremely light and was a match for another friends 15' Viper with like power. Thbe Ebco rode very smooth and would corner as if on rails. It was a bitch to get on plane, almost impossible with the 235. The speed secret was to mount the engine so the midsection was well up inside the tunnel with only part or the bottom prop blade in the water at speed. The first (and hopefully the last) boat that I blew over, was the Ebco with the 235. Back in the late 70's at Time Trials on the North Shore of Long Island. Hit a series of three rollers in extremely windy conditions. At 80+ the boat kited, did a complete flip in mid air and landed right side up. The whole bow blew out but I was able to idle back in. Never did get to see how fast that little tunnel could have gone!!!

freddyspens
03-01-2005, 08:27 AM
lol, this is an old thread..... hey just out of curiousity, does anyone have a pic?? ill try to find one and if i do ill post it... thanks in advance
sean

crazy horse
03-01-2005, 10:13 AM
There was a dealer for them in Fenton years ago. They had a 14.5 half tunnel , A 15 ft. full tunnel and I think two models larger than that. I haven't seen one around here in years. They weren't build very well and they were not fast. I looked at the 15ft. back in 73 before i bought my Viper a year later. My viper had 10 mph on the fastest one that ever came out of Galligers marina (spelling?)that sold em back then.

Goofis2
03-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Hey Crazy Horse,
Do you remember Jim Martin from Fenton? Drove a Hustler v-bottom, with an OMC on it. Drag raced it around your area.

crazy horse
03-01-2005, 07:48 PM
I can't put a face with the name. There was a handful of guys that ran out at Holliway back then from around here. Several of the marinas back then were setting up boats to run out there. I still remember when they raced three time a year. Man, Do I miss that. :(

freddyspens
03-01-2005, 11:30 PM
man- i really wish i could find a pic. i really want to see what these boats look like. the 15'er in particular cause i will hopefully be fixing one of these up in the near future.... ill be sooo happy when i finally have something in the barn to be working on :D

Fulltilt
03-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Ebco? Read on here they were layedup heavy and were dogs! :p I know where there is a 15ft Ebco garage queen on Secord lake. It doesn't really look much like a Carlson to me. Been watching for it to go up for sale, but so far not!

Man I miss those dragraces. I went to the last 3! Last one I took a girlfriend and had an ok time, but the first 2 turned into a party at the budweiser tent! :cool: Probably led to their demise! :(

Fulltilt
03-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Actually there might have been one more race after that and I'm not 100% sure it was budweiser! :o Probably shouldn't have driven myself home! :)

crazy horse
03-05-2005, 03:59 PM
The one that looked like a Carlson splash was the smaller half tunnel model, I think it was 14'6". I had a buddy that had a 75 omc on one and it was a dog. There was one of the 15 foot full tunnels for sale about five years ago over on Baldwin rd. west of Grand Blanc. That's the last one I've seen around here.

77STREAM
03-06-2005, 04:10 AM
There's one for sale on M-50, about 30 miles West of US-23. At first glance, I thought it was a Hydrostream Panther, never having seen a Panther in person. A unique looking boat though, and not in bad shape either! On another note, Dar (Fulltilt), where have you been hiding??!! :confused:

boatermike
03-06-2005, 08:30 AM
i have 2 ebko stingers. one is currently being rigged with a chrysler 120 and the other is a bare hull.i plan to extremely over power the bare hull as it is in excellent shape having been recently been redone from top to bottom front to back.

Fulltilt
03-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Pete!!!! Me hid'in?? I thought your wife took your computer away! :D
Also, you're the one who says he's gonna call!? Talked to your boss last week. I guess he quit Oakwood now he comes into our office more often! :(
Got a new prop, Now I'm gonna need that dual cable steering. You still gonna help with setup! ;) Call me sometime! Maybe we can get boatermike and some of these guys to meet at Hollaway this summer! Maybe Crazyhorse will bring his Viper to the parking lot(don't have to put it in the water) so you can see why I like vipers so much.

crazy horse
03-06-2005, 06:06 PM
I'd have to run if I hauled it out there. I have a 14X30 worked Hill cleaver I'd like to lean on, There a lota room out there. I don't think I would try to run one of my SSM's, I'd have to bring one with me just in case. O'yea and some nice cleavers. :D

boatermike
03-07-2005, 06:28 PM
and try to bring as much with me as possible.

boatermike
03-07-2005, 06:31 PM
as far as water depth i think holloway is decent. a couple shallow places but right down the middle is very good water. although there seems to be more than a fair share of dead heads.

side note, has anyone seen the old guy at holloway in a home made tunnel boat with bridgeport power? he made it from wolmanized plywood and it is crazy fast. i wonder if he is a member here?

Fulltilt
03-08-2005, 06:00 PM
I saw a boat like that in Davison at a gas station a couple years ago.

Fulltilt
03-08-2005, 06:07 PM
I'd like to see that Ebco with the Chrysleer out there! How much is over powered? I don't live very far from Hollaway. Cookout at my house after?

boatermike
03-08-2005, 06:16 PM
its not overpowered at all the chrysler is a 120 hp, the other ebko i have might get twins
holloway get together sounds real good

72EbkoStinger
10-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Someone asked where Ebko boats, like the Stinger where made. They were manufactured in Hastings Nebraska.

- Dave

freddyspens
10-07-2005, 05:52 PM
i cant believe no one has any pics of one of these boats!!! i have looked a number of times all over the internet and i have not been able to find one.. someone offered me one of these boats, i think the full tunnel, in the spring for free i think but had to buy the trailer.. i never heard back from him and i was not able to get a hold of him.. i was excited to have such a cool very rare boat, im sure it would a lot of fun with a v6 merc on the back...-- sean

oh, and if anyone can post a pic please do. i only got to see a very poor quality scanned pic and i would love to get to see one...

pyro
10-07-2005, 07:49 PM
Old thread, but to cover a couple of points:

77STREAM: (if you're out there) Where did you see an Ebko for sale? M-50 30 miles West of US-23 is right where I live. I did not see this boat for sale back when you made that post. :confused:

The wood boat with the Bridgeport on a 12" mid is owned by an older guy named Loel. He's with the Michigan Hot Boats, and he has built several wood boats. That one was built in his garage over the course of a winter. It is the boat parked next to mine on the Hardy Dam Photos thread. Very cool...

-Chad

freddyspens
10-07-2005, 10:09 PM
i believe that is the 16ft tunnel he built unless i am confusing him with another guy but that boat is supposed to be BAD ASS... i wish i was ready to buy a boat when that was for sale(if thats the guy)... i would have been smoking pretty much everyone on this lake.....well, almost -sean

72EbkoStinger
10-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Guys,

My 72 Ebko Stinger is in good original shape. I can post all the pictures you'd like to see. It's not perfect, but it does have the original windshield which I see missing on a bunch of them. I did replace the black interior a few years back. (Black vinyl in a boat??? Looked great, but man, it was scalding hot in the summer).

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Dave

freddyspens
10-09-2005, 04:45 PM
hey dave, thank you very much, i would love to see a couple of pics, it would be nice to be able to see what the boat even looks like.. i am interested in what the bottom of the sponsons are like and the tunnel depth.. how fast have you had yours and with what power?? thanks again..-- sean

LakeRacer99
10-11-2005, 09:54 AM
I know this is an old post, but if you all need Ebko Stinger info...try the search function. I have posted some pics of the 2 that I used to have. One sold to Bassman and the other to Boatermike.

Here is a shot of Boatermike's Transom...Tunnel height is about 5 inches if I remember correctly.

freddyspens
10-11-2005, 04:14 PM
hey lake racer, i have hit the search button a number of times looking for pics and info on these boats,esp a few monthes ago after someone had posted up to me that they had one for sale-- i never really found anything and i definately never found any pics except maybe one i think that was a far away shot and of poor quality.. never know maybe it missed something i guess... anyways, thanks for the pic-- sean

LakeRacer99
10-12-2005, 07:22 AM
Sean...

There are lots of pics here…be sure to click on djyox’s link for pics of his boat also.

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37804&highlight=ebko+stinger

freddyspens
10-12-2005, 11:59 AM
cool, thanks-- i have punched in ebko and stinger a number of times and never came up with anything which i thought was weird cause i had seen a few different posts mentioning them through the years.. i know i have had many times where search just goes to "page not found" as well... anyways, thanks for the link...-- sean

oh, and i want one of them!!!

Meatbasher
10-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Well this is a super old thread but I figured I'd throw my hat in the ring..... You can see some pics and a good story behind a Ebko Tunnel here http://ebkostinger.blogspot.com/

KG4
10-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Looks great!

LakeRacer99
11-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Meatbasher...thanks for the link to your blog. great pictures too. That is exactly how I wanted min to look restored. the white one was repainted and the gold one was still flake.
I guess there is one less here in MO now that you've hauled it back to OR.