PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat help for 79 Vector

cmk23
04-30-2011, 06:51 PM
I have a 1979 HydroStream Vector. Red metal flake with silver metal flake is the color. The gel coat is wearing thin on the top of the boat, it looks kinda chalkie in some spots, and in some if you run your hand over the boat it is rough to the touch and you can feel the metal flake. My question is this, the boat has been completely redone, new core, stringers, transom and floor, new interior and carpet..... is there anyway that I can fix the gel coat fairly cheap? I like the color and can not afford to have a new metal flake job done. I've tried different waxes, compounds, restorers and such. The last I tried was from 3m and helped some but not a fix. Is wet sanding or just spraying on an automotive type clear coat an option? Thanks in advance for any help!

gregpro50
04-30-2011, 07:06 PM
I shot my Varmint with clearcoat and it looks like a new boat again.

There are some pics in my thread. http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?215645-My-Varmint-project

mtaylor530
05-19-2011, 05:27 PM
from my unprofessional experience....lol the gelcoat is not smooth because the top surface that is sealed has wore down and opend the "pores" so to speak. you could add more clear and then sand the high spots over the metal flakes to make it smooth. My boat wasnt metal flake so i just wet sanded the the finish smooth again, of course I had enough of the gelcoat intact still. you might not have enough.

afr
05-19-2011, 05:36 PM
where is mayo fl if your not to far from punta gorda bring it by and let me take a look at it