rob vaughn
11-15-2002, 06:04 PM
Here's an 86 LTV......

Bill Gohr
11-18-2002, 12:32 PM
Is from 1983 when I ran OMC's

AnthonySS
11-18-2002, 12:51 PM
photo BILL...not to mention some good driving too!!

Bill Gohr
11-18-2002, 04:09 PM
was the lightest boat I've ever seen or owned. You couldn't step on it, you could lean on the sides if you were careful. Tiger had to call me and tell me that picture was from 1988. He would be the only one who knew what it weighed, rumor was 400lbs. I know it was light cuz he and I picked it off the trailer by ourselves and leaned it against the house. You could do no wrong in that boat. I wished I kept that one but I was always afraid it would peel apart around me.

AnthonySS
11-18-2002, 04:15 PM
BILL...yep pretty cool...

did you race it and what class....??

must of been pretty fast with the mod 1 on it??

Outboards Unlimited
11-20-2002, 08:10 PM
I have an 82' 380 Laser with a modified 2.5 on it that I still race and use for pretty much everything. It was laid up lite but not quite 400 lbs. mine was made for mod VP and you can walk on it if you are carefull. I wanna hear more about yours.
outboards unlimited

Outboards Unlimited
11-20-2002, 08:16 PM
bill,,, your mommy and daddy let YOU run OMC's when you were 14 years ond. huh.:rolleyes:

JWTjr.
11-20-2002, 11:54 PM
That boat was originally built special by Roark for Joe Burgess, who raced it in 1981/82 before moving on to tunnel classes. Those around then know that Burgess was one of the best V-bottom drivers ever, certainly among the top 10 (he was killed in '83 I think, running in an AMRA race). The 380 in the pitcure weighed a little over 400 pounds. It was extremely thin especially in the deck. We sold it to Bill when I was at HydroStream in 1988 or early 89 (I won't reveal for how much, too many might faint). Howard bought it in 85 or so and it was stored in the back yard at 'Stream (next to one of Fred Bowden's 34x Stoker SSTs, the one used to create the first HST bottom in winter 1987) until we started to run out of money and had to sell everything we could to survive. When we went to pick it up to put on a trailer to take down to Gohr's it had already been damaged from sitting upside down on cinder blocks and 2x4s, the 2x4s had punched through the deck in two places (like I said, thin).

Enough history for now.

JWTjr.

eautosales
11-21-2002, 08:20 AM
bill do you have a photo of the deck of that boat i think i might own the twin to that boat

AnthonySS
11-21-2002, 08:32 AM
...THANKS for history lesson on the Laser and the HST too...

Very interesting!!!

BTW....You owe me a call:D

Bill Gohr
11-21-2002, 09:47 AM
To that boat I believe was white, there were 2 of them. I ran that boat drag racing at the island. It had several powerheads on it. The best for dragging was the 2.6 with 3 carbs and everything else done to it that could be done. It was faster on top with the 6 carb engine but in 750 ft the 3 carb would out punch the 6. I was gonna put 6 small carbs on it but never got around to it. Actually, we ran that boat against my allison drag, had my buddy Charlie drive the laser against me. The Ally would get the Laser out of the ditch but you couldn't give the Laser any room cuz it was coming hard. I have pics of that boat with the hood off with the 6 carb motor on it, actually I think theres pics of the 2 of them side by side. I'll have to find them.

Euro, I may have pics of it from the front I'll look for them too. THe boat was painted red white and blue by my sponsor and I'm told it's still around.

OB UNL, no not 14. I had my first Hustler when I was 16 though. It had a 1500 short on it which I converted to an XS. Then I had numerous Streams, then Allys. That was the only Lazer I had.

Raceman
11-21-2002, 10:05 AM
"OB UNL, no not 14. I had my first Hustler when I was 16 though. It had a 1500 short on it which I converted to an XS. "

Well Bill, it looks like your parents got you off to the right start. What possessed you to make that wrong turn in life? Since you finally woke up and came back black, I assume you won't be going back.

Bill Gohr
11-21-2002, 10:41 AM
listen to our parents.......do we?

Outboards Unlimited
11-21-2002, 11:06 AM
I listen to my parents because sometimes they are much smarter in wisdom than is often projected. I started driving my 380 Laser when I was 15, but it became mine when I was 18. My dad sort of trained me on it with a merc 175, then when I was 18 we put a 200 on it, and now I built a 230+- 2.5L. Any way, any parent who lets a kid drive a fast boat , and the kid can live to tell about it 5- 10 years later is a good parent in my opinion!

rob vaughn
11-21-2002, 11:16 AM
We come from the same flock(so to speak),I started at 13 and am still here.....
Now I have two kids and wonder why in the he?? he did it,my four year old girl has already seen 80 mph and loved it, I tried to scare her(just a little) but it back fired.... Enjoy!!!!!!

Bill Gohr
11-21-2002, 12:48 PM
bustin my chops about the OMC's but luckily for me I got to see both sides of the fence at the right time. My dad had both when he was younger so I got weened on both. I worked on omcs when I was a kid then went to work for a guy who raced for merc and got to see all the cool merc stuff from the 70's. Then I went back to OMC stuff for a while and then OMC hired me. Then I went back to Merc cuz OMC quit racing. I got alot of **** at the big "O" about having a Mariner drag on my Ally and working there. I told them give me an OMC that does the same thing and I'll take off........Obviously it's still on the boat.

eautosales
11-21-2002, 05:34 PM
mine is red & white you cant walk on the deck or it will crack & it looks like it has a hood scoupe type design molded in the deck
similar to an early 80's z28
is the boat a lazer?it was from long island & had a 1500xs;)

Outboards Unlimited
11-22-2002, 11:14 AM
I too was raised on omc's and mercs. My laser actually had a 3L omc looper on it before the merc 175 2.4.. My dad was raised running morcs and omc's,, but yet our strongest racing motor is still a worked over , and over , and over Jonny rude ,, even better than my merc 260!

Bill Gohr
11-22-2002, 11:27 AM
What I meant about not listening was, my dad always told me when I had my XS and stuck it more than once. You guys think you know more than the factory, they tell you to turn it 6200, and you think you can go out there and spin 7500 and it not break.....Of course I never listened......

Outboards Unlimited
11-22-2002, 09:35 PM
thats like I said, sometimes parents have more knowlege in their wisdom than they sometime project. My dad has watched me hastle with boat projects that I am having problems with and he can sometimes see a simple solution. I bet you wish that you had listened just as your motor stuck huh. or maybe not,,,,, nice pic by the way.
jeff