PDA

View Full Version : 300x Exhaust Mod

Liberator*21
04-01-2011, 05:27 AM
Let's get ready to "RUMBLE"..........:reddevil::reddevil::reddevil:

Always did exhaust mods on my previous motors because I do like the sound of a big motor with a Tuner in it and now since I've got one of the big boy's I thought I'd do an exhaust mod project to the stock mid on my 300x. It's a perfect choice because of it's massive size and flat back not to mention it's cast very stout. I wanted to have it look like it came that way from Merc. Word of caution to anyone wanting to do this, there is an area at the bottom in the mid the you don't want to cut through because it's a cast reenforcement. So here's my version of an offshore 300x mid.............What cha think ?????????

BEFORE:
http://i56.tinypic.com/117z5zo.jpg

AFTER:
http://i56.tinypic.com/j5h5zt.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/2qjzw9s.jpg

native2
04-01-2011, 05:34 AM
Looks cool... Bet that sucker sounds awesome.....,

Liberator*21
04-01-2011, 05:40 AM
Looks cool... Bet that sucker sounds awesome.....,

Hope to fire it up Saturday and maybe get a sound clip.........:reddevil:

tux974
04-01-2011, 05:49 AM
Very interesting, looks great :thumbsup:

opsdave
04-01-2011, 06:14 AM
Gary

That's gonna turn a lot of heads at the dock when you fire it up! Gotta love the sound of a 3.0 with a tuner :thumbsup:

Liberator*21
04-01-2011, 06:25 AM
Gary

That's gonna turn a lot of heads at the dock when you fire it up! Gotta love the sound of a 3.0 with a tuner :thumbsup:

Gonna fire it up tomorrow Dave. I did notice last time I had it fired (before the exh. mod) that the exhaust is allot deeper in sound than the 250 EFI w/a Tuner was. I think it's because of the larger ID volume of the 300x mid since the compression was about the same on the 250 w/the 300 heads. The inside of the 300x mid is a Grand Canyon in comparison to the std. EFI mid's.

opsdave
04-01-2011, 06:30 AM
Gary

I know it's been a while, but how do you think the sound of the MAD/Wolf compared to the X?

mrcrsr
04-01-2011, 06:44 AM
that thing has got to be loud, lol!!!!!!!!!!! sweeeeeeeeet!!!! should sound good gary, i didn't have the heart to cut mine. i would've run the boat first, the offshore mid w/ just trimming out the bottom is fairly loud(my captn steve's boat has the bass mid that we modded and its nowhere near as loud as mine) i'd be curious to see how loud your boat is!! can you see the tuner thru the hole? i remember that the mid has some internal dividers and didn't remember if the back was open to the exhaust

Liberator*21
04-01-2011, 06:50 AM
Charlie, I can't get enough of the sound. No water cop issues here with the sound either, besides it would only be heard when trimmed up and or at W.O.T. while on plane.

When looking through the exhaust window the Tuner is right there in plane view. Like I said, I'll see if I can get a sound clip Saturday. The video portion of the clip will not be much to see as the motor is set to break-in mode...(heavy oiling in progress).....can you say Holy Smokes...........LOL.

Fish
04-01-2011, 07:57 AM
gary, that looks really cool and bet it sounds bad azzz.

Liberator*21
04-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Thanks, I have great hopes that it'll blow my mind...............check back next week for a sound clip.

dogeatdog
04-01-2011, 08:23 AM
I like it! Was it hard to do?

Hoovershark
04-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Do u think you will get any performance benefit by cutting the relief hole over a stock mid with the tuner?

Liberator*21
04-01-2011, 08:49 AM
I like it! Was it hard to do?

The most difficult part was to locate where the bottom cast stiffener rib was located. You "DON'T" want to cut into that as it provides case strength across the bottom horizontally. Other than that, I did it in a couple of hours having all the tools needed at my disposal.

Here's the tool and material list:
Roll of blue painters tape (for drawing the lay out on)
Roll of duct tape (for the jig saw to ride on)
6" flexable scale (line lay out)
Sharpie (marking lines)
Flat washer that 1/2" OD (marking corner radius x 4)
Center Punch (locate centers of the 4 radius)
1/8" drill bit and a 1/2" drill bit (pilot hole and finish hole)
Jig Saw w/a new fine tooth blade (cut from hole edge to hole edge)
Half round file (general shaping)
Air Die Grinder w/some 120 grit sand rolls (finish edge & radius work)
And lot's of patience in shaping straight and smooth to look like it was cast that way as OEM...........

Liberator*21
04-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Do u think you will get any performance benefit by cutting the relief hole over a stock mid with the tuner?

Performance gains..............LOL, absolutely NONE.......But damm it's gonna sound bad a$$...........

rock
04-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Looks really good. Did you also cut the tuner on the inside?. I'll bet that does sound cool.
Rock

Liberator*21
04-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Rock,
It's got a HydroTec Tuner in it, not a stocker.............LOL.

rock
04-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Isn't it a fairly major modification on a 300x to change the tuner?
Rock

Liberator*21
04-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Pull the P/Head, Pan Plate, Exhaust Adapter Plate........not that bad...........

cooterhan
04-01-2011, 12:58 PM
That is going to be ear bleeding loud... 300x is an already loud engine as it is, especially when run with a over hub prop and lifted high which im guessing yours is. It would have been nice to do a write up with pics. In for the sound clip!

Liberator*21
04-01-2011, 01:13 PM
I have options on hand if ear bleeding loud becomes the case.........LOL, but then again, that's the way I like it.........LMAO. You have to remember that it's going to be the loudest when trimmed up idling around and at W.O.T, and when at W.O.T, it usually not a problem inside the boat. As for your suggestion on a write up, I can still do a write up (how to section) on this mod. I'll see what my weekend holds in store for me and if time permits I'll put something together with pics and details...................stay tuned anyway, sound clip should be posted by Monday. I'm turn'n the key on it this Saturday.

Your in Sarasota, and I'm Ohio, that should work so just open your window Saturday about noon and listen for it............LOL.

Dave Strong
04-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Gary, love your atitude.:D You should block the hole off one time just to see if you do gain some from opening it up.:thumbsup:

Dave

Liberator*21
04-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Hey Dave,
Thanks for the compliment, I've always been a firm believer in;

Go Loud, Go Proud....:reddevil::reddevil::D

I'm working on a block off cap in my spare time and it'll be ready when it come time to put the hammer down in case I happen to be boating somewhere and the H2O police doesn't like what they hear. Motor needs to complete the Break-In mode before any serious running starts to happen. I'm gonna fire it up on the hose tomorrow and grab a sound clip I'll post later this weekend.

Dave Strong
04-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Nothing wrong with a little sound improvement, like they say " Loud pipes save lives ":D:reddevil:

Dave:cheers:

lightspeed
04-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Gary That Looks Sick Keep Us Posted,,,Nice Job

mrcrsr
04-02-2011, 06:37 AM
Performance gains..............LOL, absolutely NONE.......But damm it's gonna sound bad a$$...........

i just spit coffee all over my keyboard, lol!!!!!! that made my morning!!!!!!!! i like your way of thinking, i just pulled the mufflers out of the camaro w/ the turbos because it was too quiet!

Liberator*21
04-02-2011, 07:21 AM
i just spit coffee all over my keyboard, lol!!!!!! that made my morning!!!!!!!! i like your way of thinking, i just pulled the mufflers out of the camaro w/ the turbos because it was too quiet!

Charlie,
You may be my twin seperated at birth...................LMAO...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ok, Here we go, crank it up baby.......pardon the smoke, still in Break-In Mode.................:reddevil::reddevil::reddevil:. The sound on this clip doesn't do the mod justice, it's Freak'n Scream'n Loud............Goal accomplished..........:cool::cool::D

Click the Pic:

http://v7.tinypic.com/29nxeag_th.jpg (http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=29nxeag&s=7)

Madtown
04-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Looks factory & bet that is going to sound awesome at WOT.

river rocket
04-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Great work! Very tempting. Do you have a DB meter? I would be interesting to tape it off and do a before and after.

Kick AXX write up on your other post.

Liberator*21
04-06-2011, 04:59 AM
Geoff,
"VERY TEMPTING" is correct, I was, and I did, LMAO !!!!!:reddevil::reddevil:
I do have a DB meter and if I remember to take it with me first time out on the water, I'll see what it reads. In the garage all exhaust ports are open and there's always a little echo. In the water only the new exhaust port would be above water when trimmed up a little idling around, on plane they'd all be open and above the water line.

Thanks for the compliment on the write up, it would have been better if I'd have taken the pics as I did the actual mod but I was to pumped to get -r-done and crank it up........LOL.

Liberator*21
04-06-2011, 05:01 AM
Looks factory & bet that is going to sound awesome at WOT.

Madtown,
Thanks greatly appreciate it, and yes it does sound "KILLER"...........:reddevil::reddevil::reddevil:

NAVISPEED1
04-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Gary congrats, that sounds awesome!!!!
Great job!!

Ivan

Liberator*21
04-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Gary congrats, that sounds awesome!!!!
Great job!!

Ivan

Thanks Ivan, appreciate it.......

Liberator*21
04-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Per the advise of running with it open vs. closed and performance results, I made a exhaust cap to run it like stock and if noise is a problem on a given body of water, I'll have a plan "B" :p:p.............

FlatSleek
04-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Thats Awsome Gary:cool: Looks like I've got some cuttin and grindin to do:D how far up from the bottom edge did you start the opening? I've thought about two rectangular holes but I think your design looks better on the Hippo mid and also probably has a deeper sound:thumbsup: Great job on the cover plate too , hope you dont have to use it though:D

opsdave
04-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Thats Awsome Gary:cool: Looks like I've got some cuttin and grindin to do:D how far up from the bottom edge did you start the opening? I've thought about two rectangular holes but I think your design looks better on the Hippo mid and also probably has a deeper sound:thumbsup: Great job on the cover plate too , hope you dont have to use it though:D

Here ya go! Should tell ya all you need to know.

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?232404-How-to-300x-Exhaust-Mod

Liberator*21
04-12-2011, 04:55 AM

Thanks for the compliment :thumbsup:, the mod is pretty easy to do, just take you time with it..............you'll love the deep throaty rumble idling around.............LOL.

tux974
04-12-2011, 05:21 AM
Gary, Very nice job on that step down blockoff plate!! I can see you did not take the easy road making that :thumbsup:

opsdave
04-12-2011, 05:37 AM
Gary, Very nice job on that step down blockoff plate!! I can see you did not take the easy road making that :thumbsup:

I don't think I have seen Gary take the easy road on anything that he has laid his hands on.........

Great job as usual Gary :thumbsup:

Liberator*21
04-12-2011, 05:47 AM
Thanks Tux & Dave, much appreciate the remarks.

I'm too much of a perfectionist I guess, and the fact I have a machine shop in my garage helps as well. I've always figured that if it's worth doing, then it's worth doing it right.............or why bother at all..........

tux974
04-12-2011, 06:00 AM
I don't think I have seen Gary take the easy road on anything that he has laid his hands on.........

Great job as usual Gary :thumbsup:

:iagree: Labor of love :D

Thanks Tux & Dave, much appreciate the remarks.

I'm too much of a perfectionist I guess, and the fact I have a machine shop in my garage helps as well. I've always figured that if it's worth doing, then it's worth doing it right.............or why bother at all..........

:iagree: I truly believe nothing in life is perfect, all we can do is work to get it close ;):D:thumbsup:

Liberator*21
04-12-2011, 06:27 AM
Tux..........well said indeed............:thumbsup::thumbsup:

FlatSleek
04-12-2011, 09:36 PM
I just had to do it:D Thanks for posting the info on the other thread Gary:thumbsup: that made it much easier, only took about two hours plus a half hour or so to do the sanding and paint where there was a blistered area at the bottom of the mid. The sound is definitly much more throaty than stock:cool: and as far as the noise at idle speeds it's not a problem as long as very little positive trim is used but with the jackplate up and a little trim it sounds great, yeah I had to go for a ride when it was done:eek: sounds better on plane too. the only thing I did different was to use a 7/8" hole saw at the corners and didn't get out the air tools. just the hole saw, jig saw, half round file and a piece of sandpaper.
OpsDave Thanks for the link to the other thread:thumbsup:

opsdave
04-12-2011, 10:09 PM
I just had to do it:D Thanks for posting the info on the other thread Gary:thumbsup: that made it much easier, only took about two hours plus a half hour or so to do the sanding and paint where there was a blistered area at the bottom of the mid. The sound is definitly much more throaty than stock:cool: and as far as the noise at idle speeds it's not a problem as long as very little positive trim is used but with the jackplate up and a little trim it sounds great, yeah I had to go for a ride when it was done:eek: sounds better on plane too. the only thing I did different was to use a 7/8" hole saw at the corners and didn't get out the air tools. just the hole saw, jig saw, half round file and a piece of sandpaper.

Looks good!! I sure it sounds amazing!! As soon as I can get my hands on an offshore mid for a good price I'll be doing the exact same mod :reddevil:

Liberator*21
04-13-2011, 05:01 AM

FlatSleek,

You da man................ Great job, hope your pleased with that little extra rumble. Looks good using a bigger drill in the corners, looks like it should have been there from the start......:thumbsup:

Dave,
I know your want'n a 300x mid now for sure..................LOL.

Dave Strong
04-13-2011, 10:55 AM
:thumbsup::thumbsup: Interested to see if it makes a diff on performance, you sure went to a pile of work to use it once. LOL:eek: Its gotta help acceleration.:confused:

Dave:)

Liberator*21
04-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Dave,
I didn't know if you were addressing me or FlatSleek........I for one will have mine open 99.9% of the time unless made to do other wise depending on where a local water patrol may object.

I would think acceleration would benefit from the free unrestricted flow, above that I doubt anything else would benefit.

Dave Strong
04-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Wounder if it will help on top because of your tuner?

Dave

Liberator*21
04-13-2011, 11:23 AM
The "TUNER" will help all around but would it help because of the new exhaust port............don't know and can't say for sure. I will test out the motor with the exhaust port open and again with the cap on it. Your gonna have to wait awhile, 240 minutes of double oil break-in mode I gotta get over and done with first............LOL.

Dave Strong
04-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Well get driving that thing, then we will know for sure. :eek::D

Dave

Liberator*21
04-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Well get driving that thing, then we will know for sure. :eek::D

Dave

As soon as I get some desent weather, I'll be all over that.........:p:D

Greg G
05-07-2011, 07:14 AM
TTT for an update!

Liberator*21
05-07-2011, 07:57 AM
Greg,
Still swamped here, gonna be at least another week or more before water levels drop enough to expose some ramps. I will post when I do get it out.

Dave Strong
05-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Then give it some time to get rid of all the crap floating just under the surface.:eek: That junk tends to be hard on lowers, props, hulls, etc.;):D

Liberator*21
05-07-2011, 11:45 AM
I hear ya Dave, like the picnic table followed by some 55 gallon drums and a log here and there for good measure I saw last week floating down the river......:eek::eek::eek:..........

Dave Strong
05-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Ya get some crazy stuff at real high water levels, years back at Cougar reunion seen something in water beside boat doing around 85ish. Went back to look, was a 100' section of barbwire fence poles and wire, that would have been a real ugly deal if I had hit that. Made many slow passes to check for junk after that before turning up the wick.

Dave

Liberator*21
05-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Well, another wet and cold weekend has come and gone and I'm still waiting to get on the water. Besides all the flooding around here, docks are gone, ramps are still underwater, this weather is the pits, so rediculas.......mid 80's & sunny for a few days, then more rain, then back to mid 80's and rain, then onto low 50's and rain..........when oh when will it ever stop ????

Trying to pass the time, I figured I'd also close up the 2 OEM exhaust dumps at the bottom of the mid. This now limits exhaust routing to out the back and/or down through the prop. It'll probably help in the sound department as well since the exhaust will take the path of least resistance (out the back) when in the water.

Hiline
05-16-2011, 06:40 PM
This is great to see and good pictures and thread.
I'm going to do this but want to see if you lost any bottom end power before I do it. In the early days when you opened up too much exhaust,the bottom end power suffered quite a bit, but I'm thinking with the 300X and its big TQ numbers it probably wont be a problem.
I'm waiting to see what happens and Thanks!
Tony

Liberator*21
05-17-2011, 04:58 AM
Tony, Hang in there man. As soon as the flood waters recede around here and the ramps are once again visible, I'll be out on the water and I'll post up the results along with a video clip or two.

Hiline
05-17-2011, 09:54 AM
Ok Gary, thanks and yes we are all waiting for your results.
Nice work!
Tony

FlatSleek
05-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Well, another wet and cold weekend has come and gone and I'm still waiting to get on the water. Besides all the flooding around here, docks are gone, ramps are still underwater, this weather is the pits, so rediculas.......mid 80's & sunny for a few days, then more rain, then back to mid 80's and rain, then onto low 50's and rain..........when oh when will it ever stop ????

Trying to pass the time, I figured I'd also close up the 2 OEM exhaust dumps at the bottom of the mid. This now limits exhaust routing to out the back and/or down through the prop. It'll probably help in the sound department as well since the exhaust will take the path of least resistance (out the back) when in the water.

Gary how did you close the OEM dumps? Sucks that you cant get on the water yet:( I haven't noticed any increase or loss of power since I cut my promax but it sure does sound good:cool: it actually sounds kind of like a small block chevy idling down the canal. Curious to see what your x with the tuner will do performance wise with and without the block off plate.

Liberator*21
05-18-2011, 05:22 AM
I closed the OEM dumps using some 1/8" x 2" x 2" aluminum angle. That area is not a 90 degree fit so I took an impression of the angle with a big chunk of clay so I could measure the angles and profile I needed to duplicate. That gave me the exact angle and contour for the fit. Then I just started to work the aluminum angle with a torch, brass hammer and a radius block to shape it for a near perfect fit. Trimmed the edges and radiused the corners so nothing stuck out from the sides of the mid, also had to trim down the side that fit the vertical surface from 2" to around 5/8", so you'd end up with an angle piece about 1 1/2" x 5/8, the 5/8" side is flush with the bottom of the mounting surface between the mid and L/Unit. Drilled and tapped one 10-32 hole in each vertical side of the mid in the middle of where the dump opening is, drilled one clearance hole in each angle applied some high temp black silicone to all the faces that goes against the dump face and mid sides, bolted it up using loctite 242 on the screws. Once it's bolted up the silicone bead squeezed out, wiped it down along the edges for a smooth sealed fit. You can't even tell anything has changed except for the head of the button head screw. I did paint it all black prior to installing it and painted the screw head too.........it all disappears that way. The face of the aluminum angle is slightly bigger than the dump opening so the silicone has a sealing surface all the way around. Sorry I didn't take any pics while doing this mod :o:o, it just didn't occur to me till afterwards.........

Since I didn't take a pic, I made a sketch for your reference;

http://i55.tinypic.com/303dyc3.jpg

Dave Strong
05-18-2011, 11:36 AM
To bad your so far away Gary, water is low here, if you get the urge to go on road trip LOL you got a place to stay.

Dave

opsdave
05-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Poor Gary........... All dressed up and nowhere to go LMAO!! You should have got out the helmet and snowsuit and got your break in done before this never ending monsoon started 2 months ago. It's starting to get old!!!

Liberator*21
05-18-2011, 11:49 AM
To bad your so far away Gary, water is low here, if you get the urge to go on road trip LOL you got a place to stay.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks a bunch, greatly appreciated. Who would have ever thought that I'd be able to go boating in Canada before I could here..............LOL.

It's been a very ugly 2011 around these parts to say the least and I like so many others have had my fill of it. The wife is actually thinking of having me commited because I spend to much time in the garage sitting in the boat turning the steering wheel side to side making motor noises..........:eek::eek::eek::o, yep I've gone over the deep end and the only cure is going to come with better weather.......:D

Dave Strong
05-18-2011, 11:56 AM
My Dad kept water level records of the lake from 1956-2010, high water always comes from last week in June to first 2 weeks in July. From ice off the level goes up 5 1/2' on average but has been as high as 7 1/2'.

Dave

Liberator*21
05-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Poor Gary........... All dressed up and nowhere to go LMAO!! You should have got out the helmet and snowsuit and got your break in done before this never ending monsoon started 2 months ago. It's starting to get old!!!

Thanks for your sympathy there Dave.....:p:p.........LMAO too.

I'm not as fortunate as you are by having a big boat project underway that helps make these bad weather days go by quicker....;).....LOL. Like you said it's getting very, very old, I know your weather is basically the same as ours. Just when I got my shorts and Scream & Fly tee's out of winter storage, the temps drop like a freak'n rock.

What the hell ever happened to Global Warming, where is it when ya need it..........:mad:

opsdave
05-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Gary
I'm so glad my boat is in pieces at the moment. I would be going just as nuts are you are waiting to run the boat. I have to drive over the Ohio River every morning on my way to work........ Drives me nuts just looking at the water!

Liberator*21
05-18-2011, 12:03 PM
My Dad kept water level records of the lake from 1956-2010, high water always comes from last week in June to first 2 weeks in July. From ice off the level goes up 5 1/2' on average but has been as high as 7 1/2'.

Dave

I wish that was the only increase in water levels around here. Ohio River normal pool is around 28' it been holding around mid 40's for a few weeks now after coming down from 55 feet. That 25+ foot increase over pool tends to make everything dissapear........LOL.

FlatSleek
05-18-2011, 03:24 PM
I closed the OEM dumps using some 1/8" x 2" x 2" aluminum angle. That area is not a 90 degree fit so I took an impression of the angle with a big chunk of clay so I could measure the angles and profile I needed to duplicate. That gave me the exact angle and contour for the fit. Then I just started to work the aluminum angle with a torch, brass hammer and a radius block to shape it for a near perfect fit. Trimmed the edges and radiused the corners so nothing stuck out from the sides of the mid, also had to trim down the side that fit the vertical surface from 2" to around 5/8", so you'd end up with an angle piece about 1 1/2" x 5/8, the 5/8" side is flush with the bottom of the mounting surface between the mid and L/Unit. Drilled and tapped one 10-32 hole in each vertical side of the mid in the middle of where the dump opening is, drilled one clearance hole in each angle applied some high temp black silicone to all the faces that goes against the dump face and mid sides, bolted it up using loctite 242 on the screws. Once it's bolted up the silicone bead squeezed out, wiped it down along the edges for a smooth sealed fit. You can't even tell anything has changed except for the head of the button head screw. I did paint it all black prior to installing it and painted the screw head too.........it all disappears that way. The face of the aluminum angle is slightly bigger than the dump opening so the silicone has a sealing surface all the way around. Sorry I didn't take any pics while doing this mod :o:o, it just didn't occur to me till afterwards.........

Since I didn't take a pic, I made a sketch for your reference;

http://i55.tinypic.com/303dyc3.jpg

Thanks Gary:thumbsup:

Hiline
05-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Gary,
When do you think the testing will be..before I start cutting??
Thanks,
Tony

Liberator*21
05-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Gary,
When do you think the testing will be..before I start cutting??
Thanks,
Tony

Tony,

Heading to the lake Sunday & Tuesday to try to get the motor out of break in mode. Hope to have a couple of clips to post when I get done.

Hiline
05-28-2011, 07:59 PM
That's fantastic, I'll be waiting to see how it goes,and good luck!
Tony

Liberator*21
05-30-2011, 06:34 PM
My bad, I met Monday & Tuesday, not Sunday..........anyway, went out today and had issues, motor wouldn't go above idle. Got home and tore into it and found my low pressure fuel reg was not putting out any fuel............sucks. So got that fixed and I'm heading out again tomorrow, hope it runs tomorrow better than it did today.............

Liberator*21
06-01-2011, 05:13 AM
Guy's,

I've been out twice and had fuel issues both time out...:(:(.....sucks. Won't do anything but idle. Step on it and BLAAAAAAAAA, nothing. Here's the latest post on the fuel issues;

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?235448-300x-No-power-off-idle (http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?235448-300x-No-power-off-idle)

With that being said, I feel I found the major problem and I'm off again this weekend to try it again, third times a charm (I hope)............LOL.

Liberator*21
06-04-2011, 12:30 PM
FINALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Went out again this morning and did donuts at the lake for 2 hrs. at more than idle I might ad.................LMAO. Ran perfect except I'm gonna have to keep my eye on water temps, it runs @ 150-155 at 5K RPM with 125 deg. stats. Water tube is in the mid fully exposed to the exhaust temps. Water pressure is good @ 12-14 PSI at 5K. Now mind you that the water is being super heated by having the tuner in the mid as well, so I'm sure that's got a little to do with it. Not real happy about the mid dulling because of the tuner/heat, but then again I guess that's the price ya gotta pay. Polishing compound brings the shine right back, but sooner or later that's gonna take it toll too. Running a 5K it's loud as "HELL", but I'm love'n it so there's no problem. EGT's are showing 945 degrees (avg) @ 3500 RPM and goes to 1045 deg. (avg) at 5K RPM.

All that aside, it was a great relief to jump in, stab it and were gone............ Drag 4 28P way, way to small. Comes out of the hole like a 19P. Next time out I've already got a 30P on and I'll take my 32P Pro ET as well. Didn't get any video, damm Flip Camera battery was dead, I forgot to put a charge on it last night........my bad !

I'm now a very happy boater !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Strong
06-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Glad to see you fixed it.

Dave

Liberator*21
06-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Thanks Dave, it felt good to be able to do a little more than idle..............LOL.

Liberator*21
06-06-2011, 03:42 PM
I finally got a video clip to post but I can't get it to work, it's from TinyPic.........anybody got any clues. I copies and pasted the link but nothing works.

<EMBED height=420 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=440 src="<a href=" http: v7.tinypic.com player.swf?file='np442e&s=7"' target="_blank">
http://v7.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=np442e&s=7">

buddie
06-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Nice :D

<embed width="440" height="420" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://v7.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=np442e&s=7"><br><font size="1"><a href="http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=np442e&s=7">Original Video</a> - More videos at <a href="http://tinypic.com">TinyPic</a></font>

(Grab the "HTML for websites" code and paste it.)

Liberator*21
06-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Ok, tell me how you did that based on what I posted ??? And thank you by the way, greatly appreciate it. Here it is on PhotoBucket. If you got a subwoofer on your PC speakers, your gonna love this...............:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/th_VID00001.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/?action=view&current=VID00001.mp4)

river rocket
06-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Is that a fishing pole? Sounds great!!!!!

Dave Strong
06-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Sounds good, maybe one day have someone record a flyby pass to hear how it sounds from shore.
How you going to put hrs on that motor if your fishing instead of driving?

Dave

Hiline
06-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Gary,
Sounds great, so did you try any test results with it open and closed by chance? I was just wondering if it helped in RPM's or how it did out of the hole compared to when it was closed up.
Thanks for all the input.
Tony

Liberator*21
06-07-2011, 05:10 AM
Sounds good, maybe one day have someone record a flyby pass to hear how it sounds from shore.
How you going to put hrs on that motor if your fishing instead of driving?

Dave

Dave
Geoff,

You guy's caught that fish'n rod in the corner of the boat didn't cha..............LOL. Had to pass the time from full hot motor to total cool down and run it again. By the way I didn't catch a thing............LMAO. Later this summer I'll have a fly by video done, just glad to have a running boat again.

Liberator*21
06-07-2011, 05:14 AM
Tony,

Didn't put the cap on because it wouldn't have shown anything since motor is still in break in mode and my RPM's are limited. I will do that once I get out of break in mode and report back. I really don't feel that there's going to be any recordable difference because if there is any it would be so small that weather and water conditions could mask that. Only a Dyno run would be able to show a true difference with controlled conditions being exact each and every run.

Hiline
06-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Got it, I forgot your doing a break in on the motor.
I'll just watch this thread for updates.
Thanks again!
Tony

Liberator*21
06-17-2011, 06:27 AM
Ok guy's out of break in mode and here's the latest results:

Exhaust "OPEN" or "CLOSED", there was "NO" noticeable difference what so ever in launch and or time to reach 5000 RPM. I used 5000 RPM as a baseline for reference only to get a consistant data point at which to stop. I had a co-pilot with a stop watch as I handled the driving. Stop watch starts when I mat it and as soon as my co-pilot see's 5K on the tach the stop watch is stopped. This was done with the exhaust mod open and then again capped/closed in one day so temps and humidity don't come into play.

Still don't have any top end data as I'm still playing with prop's and my time is limited to the few days off that I get now and then. I'll continue to post back here as prop testing continues and I'm able to do this test again with the best prop suited for my application.

Thx,

Hiline
06-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Thanks Gary for the update,now I'm off to do this to my twin 300X's!
Tony

Liberator*21
06-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks Gary for the update,now I'm off to do this to my twin 300X's!
Tony

Tony,

Your gonna love the way it sounds. Post up a video clip when your done..............

Danno
09-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Very nice Liberator*21!

I have wanted to do this since I got my 300X's, the first day we put in the water my wife says" go ahead and start it" and i said "It is"! Wholly crap they are quite compared to our twin Drags!

Have you noticed any ill effects with your Mod? And do we have to change turners or will the stock ones work fine? What about backing up, does it choke the motor? Did you need to plug the std. relief ports?

Danno

Liberator*21
09-22-2011, 05:00 AM
Very nice Liberator*21!

I have wanted to do this since I got my 300X's, the first day we put in the water my wife says" go ahead and start it" and i said "It is"! Wholly crap they are quite compared to our twin Drags!

Have you noticed any ill effects with your Mod? And do we have to change turners or will the stock ones work fine? What about backing up, does it choke the motor? Did you need to plug the std. relief ports?

Danno

Danno,
That's the reason for the mod, too damm quite......No ill effects what so ever. You can use the stock can, just cut off at the casting line (5" up). I went with a HydroTech tuner for that extra "bark". If you go with the aftermarket tuners you'll also need to run a Simon Poppet Diverter or the motor will run a little warm. If I had to do it again, I'd just cut the stock can and cut the window in the mid..........you'll love it !!!!!!!!

Danno
09-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Nice, guess I know what i'm doing next! Do you need to cut down the tuner? or is that for added bark? Any idea what it will sound like w/o cutting the tuner?

Liberator*21
09-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Nice, guess I know what i'm doing next! Do you need to cut down the tuner? or is that for added bark? Any idea what it will sound like w/o cutting the tuner?

Without a cut to the can or going to an aftermarket Tuner it's not going to sound any different than "BONE STOCK". Get on Eric Simon's site and look up the install instructions for the Poppet Diverter, it will show you where to make the cut to the stock can, here's a link;

http://www.simonmotorsports.com/poppet/poppetinstall2.html (http://www.simonmotorsports.com/poppet/poppetinstall2.html)

The pic is refering to the casting line. So get out your Saw-All and go to work......You won't be disappointed, trust me on this one specially with twin 300x's. I'll agree there's nothing like the sound of 2.5 Drags cackling away at idle, but the 300x's sound like a big block should, nice and deep.

Danno
09-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks man, you are a big help, I can't wait!

Danno

Liberator*21
09-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Everytime you lite those motors up, your gonna draw some looks............like WTH was that !!!!!!!!!!!!

Let us know how your mod turned out and post up your pics a video clip too..........good luck and can't wait to see and hear it............:reddevil:

Dave Strong
09-22-2011, 08:41 PM
No substitute for displacement, more so as the hulls get bigger and weigh more. The old 2.4 Bridgeport works great on a less tha 500lb bare hull. Remember when Cougar started to put 300 PM's on the 21's, it made them a allround way betterboat after they got the set right.
Remember the first time live at the F1 races, the sound of those 2.0L wound out on the straight was the coolest thing I ever heard.:D
Nothing wrong with the sound of your Gary, just a bigblock cool but different.:thumbsup:

Skater 32
09-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Here is the Tuner mod I did on my STR 375 HP EFI strokers

Liberator*21
09-24-2011, 04:51 AM
Thanks for the pics, it clearly shown the casting line as the cut line. There is a distinct sound difference in the exhaust between cutting the can and changing to a tuner, I've done both.

The cut can method will yield a slightly tinny sound were as the "Tuner" will yield a very deep sound. The difference being that when a Tuner is used, the entire mid is a sound chamber and a big one it is, with a cut can, the sound is held in a much more restrictive tube thereby changing the pitch.

parkerkyb
10-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Nice!!!!

ROS280
03-25-2012, 12:10 AM
Looks cool , I am thinking about doing this now to

Largemouthlou
03-31-2012, 07:05 AM
I know ya love it Gary!!! :D

Liberator*21
04-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks man, you are a big help, I can't wait!

Danno

Danno,

Did you do the exhaust mod yet ????? Just though I'd touch base with ya and see what you thought.

Danno
04-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Danno,

Did you do the exhaust mod yet ????? Just though I'd touch base with ya and see what you thought.

Not yet, we had snow flying last week, so its hard for me to wrap my brain around boating! But I will be doing it shortly.

Danno

Liberator*21
04-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Snow......sorry to hear that........burrrrrrrrrrrr.........LOL.
I'm love'n the early summer weather we've had here. Great to hear from you again, stay in touch and let us know what you think after the mod, better yet post up a video clip........:reddevil:.

Dave Strong
08-16-2013, 10:25 PM
Snow......sorry to hear that........burrrrrrrrrrrr.........LOL.
I'm love'n the early summer weather we've had here. Great to hear from you again, stay in touch and let us know what you think after the mod, better yet post up a video clip........:reddevil:.

Why you swearing like that this time of year, the snow will come soon enough. :eek::D

Liberator*21
08-22-2013, 04:56 AM
Why you swearing like that this time of year, the snow will come soon enough. :eek::D

Hey Dave, how ya buddy what's with this reply ??????????????? I think the dates are all screwed up, I did notice some A-HO posted up some spam on this thread and it was finally deleted.

Dave Strong
08-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Just doing the work thing, in Calgary right now had to take the dog for his 8 week x-ray after his knee surgery all good.:smiletest: Back home today then back to work tomorrow, hope to get the BAJA gear case back together on Sun. Kinda hoping for some extra speed with Buds stainless coating,:D:thumbsup: hope no stupid things come up, been waiting to do this for a few weeks but things keep coming up and putting things off.:( Had frost in the areas around Calgary the other nite so best get on it before the water gets hard.:eek:

Liberator*21
08-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Glad to hear the pooch is doing well Dave. Frost already, sure don't like hearing that already. If Bud did the work there's surely some extra speed in there somewhere....lol. I've been fight'n some injector problems but finally got it straightened out, 3 & 4 had weak springs in them causing poor launch but ran plenty fat at WOT. Its always something ain't it. Currently I'm working on my new intake project, hope to bolt it up and run by mid Sept., wish me luck as I know I'll probably need it......lol.

rivernaked
03-28-2014, 07:43 PM
What prop you running on the boat

Liberator*21
03-29-2014, 05:24 AM
30 & 32P Drag 4

rivernaked
03-29-2014, 01:31 PM
You have one you wanna sale??

Liberator*21
04-09-2014, 03:28 AM
You have one you wanna sale??

Sorry, not at this time..

badassbayouboy
07-09-2014, 10:40 AM
This is an awesome thread I have a 225 3.0 25" shaft want more noise lol what do y'all think about just drillin 2 or 4 3/4 holes around da same area of my mid

Liberator*21
07-09-2014, 12:07 PM
This is an awesome thread I have a 225 3.0 25" shaft want more noise lol what do y'all think about just drillin 2 or 4 3/4 holes around da same area of my mid

It's been done before...... "BUT" , word of caution is need here. The 300x mid section is the strongest one out there and a standard 3L mid won't even come close to the 300x's strength. With that said, if you add holes to your std. 3L mid your going to increase the chances of cracking as you've now weakened it, I'm not saying it will crack, just wanna make you totally aware of the ramifications of what your wanting to accomplish. May the water gods be with you in your quest for sound..................:D

badassbayouboy
07-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Saw this on a mota for sale in buy & sell fourm from here wasnt gonna go dat big

Liberator*21
07-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Saw this on a mota for sale in buy & sell fourm from here wasnt gonna go dat big

LMAO.........the holes aren't even straight......:nonod:. I total understand what your trying to do but my caution still applies.

badassbayouboy
07-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Yea dat was my first thought as well lmao is dere an alternate spot u would recommend?

JohnR
07-09-2014, 01:35 PM
I cut the tuner down on my 20" 3.0 250 and it sounds nice without being obnoxious and doesn't require compromising the mid. I don't know how then tuner on a 25" is set up though. You might want to start a thread asking about cutting a 25" one down.

Liberator*21
07-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Yea dat was my first thought as well lmao is dere an alternate spot u would recommend?

I know you want it and want it bad.......but sorry, no recommendations from me as I wouldn't do it on a std. 3L mid, to risky.