PDA

View Full Version : EFI and electric prime pumps

QuarterHorse
03-21-2011, 10:09 PM
So I hated the idea of the primer bulb in my OMC set up, so I used an electric fuel pump to feed the motor. That motor failed on me, so I went with an EFI Merc fishing 2.5 200. I know it's got an onboard fuel pump but was curious if I could still use the in boat fuel pump to feed the high pressure pump. Wasn't sure if the low psi pump would keep up with the high psi pump on the motor, but figured the volume SHOULD be adequate.

Thanks all

tj309
03-21-2011, 11:13 PM
I am not an OMC guy but if you are trying to replace the sqeeze bulb with an electric fuel pump it should be just fime as the Merc guys will say. The motor fuel pump will only pump what the motor actually needs - the bulb just gets fuel to the motor pump and then its the motor's job to suck fuel - kind of like priming a pump. Exactly like priming a pump.

Bottom line - you can replace your bulb with an electic fuel pump and never worry about that again.

QuarterHorse
03-22-2011, 08:42 AM
I may have confused you. I now have an XRi 200 but I want to make sure the onboard pump isn't trying to pull fuel through the new pump I put on since they will both be running at the same time.

tj309
03-22-2011, 08:53 AM
Should not be a problem.

QuarterHorse
03-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the reassurance!