PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Prototypes

mk30h
11-11-2002, 06:36 PM
I thought this may drag up a few interesting pictures from archives out there. My dad told me of seeing a few prototype mercs in the late 50's at Beaver Dam, opposed 4 cylinders, radial engines, V engines. Also heard tell of a V6 Chrysler, 4 inline Champion, and an inverted V twin outbaord that Carl K proposed to build with Bombardier in the early 70's after leaving brunswick controlled merc.

Outboards Unlimited
12-04-2002, 12:09 PM
Man that thing looks like crap. I would hate to even think of what is under that cowl.

Raceman
12-04-2002, 01:10 PM
Mk30, is that picture supposed to be an old one?

Hydrovector
12-04-2002, 01:22 PM
the transom brackets are off newer mercs!

Raceman
12-04-2002, 08:13 PM
Good eye HV. I didn't notice.

Bruster
12-06-2002, 08:17 PM
Put a set of 300X decals on it. Look familiar?

sosmerc
12-06-2002, 10:59 PM
I notice that appears to be the current style 3/4 cylinder lower unit as well as the late style clamp bracket. "The Day the Earth Stood Still" comes to mind. (you know...the guy that walks out of the flying saucer and down the stairs with the army soldiers all pointing their guns at him) Very far out!

Outboards Unlimited
12-07-2002, 07:07 PM
just like the 300x, except the lower unit, aluminum prop, cowling, merc decal, and that weird eye looking thing,, yep just like a 300X!

Designed for use on mars,, ya know theirs supposed to be H2O up their !!! Merc will fit in nicely!!

sosmerc
12-07-2002, 07:19 PM
I think this is Merc taking the "lost in foam" casting technique to the extreme!! Everything is cast in one piece...there's no need (or way) to open the hood. When it quits it makes it very economical to throw away. Merc will even give you 5 cents to recycle it back to them when you are through. No controls or wires needed either...everything gets communicated to the engine through that big eye. I hope it still works when it gets wet!

Backfire
12-07-2002, 10:38 PM
I think you need to lance that boil on the side, the whole thing looks like it 's ready to split down the middle.
Backfire ;)

Bruster
12-07-2002, 10:59 PM
The SS prop is probably painted black, (like the OMC's) and I said put 300X decals on it, see, all most the same.
Mercury was simply taking "global economy" to the next level.

sho305
12-09-2002, 12:50 AM
Kinda looks like some big chunks of plastic down the leg to me....

mk30h
12-15-2002, 09:59 AM
Now this is rare

mk30h
12-15-2002, 10:04 AM
This engine could outrun the KG7H.

Mark75H
12-15-2002, 11:58 AM
I don't think there is any solid evidence of the CC being any faster than a KG7. If there is please scan it and post it.

The Mk25H prototype has an interesting story behind it, 8 others were destroyed, the one survived.

Ron Hill
12-15-2002, 12:32 PM
I never, ever saw that Mark 25 prototype. Looks like a cool deal. What was the gear atio of the foot?

My dad once bought all the part to put a tiller arm on a Mark 20 H. H e also made a 2 extension to make it a "long". An old fisherman buddie had a Rockholt BU and he made it look like a fishing boat with poles and his dog on board...would beat most boat on the river at the time...But somebody broke in his shop and stole the motor. I alwasy felt someone could easily take the 2"raiser out but probably would have left the tiller....I'm not saying this is the motor, as this one also looks to have a different cavatation plate from stock...

We had a Modified 25 with Quincy "two horns" ran well in "B" alky. Hubbel welded pads in the head, my dad opened the carb and reed block and made a floatless carb from a Carter. We ran it on a '59 A-B Sid Craft, no fin, 3/4" tunnel bottom...quite a ride...but dIdn't get to drive it. My dad thought it too fast for me..only my brother could drive it. The reedblock came loose on heat and spun around (No center main needle like the 20 H)... So, between heats my dad heated the cast with a small tourch, spun the reed cage in place. Then tapped the crankcase and reedblock with a "Farm" bolt. tighted it and it ran perfect.

Charlie once told me there were some 25's with padded cyclinder blocks....ala the famous Don Christy BSH Block of 1963...

So, after Phoenix, a big money race, we sold it for a profit...got $250.00, not bad for a fishing powerhead and a sandcast Quickie!!! Spring 1960....I think.

Raceman
12-15-2002, 05:45 PM
I've never known what the deal was on the tiller handle on the 20H's. Someone had a picture of a restored one on a hydro with the handle. It may've been on Bruce Hazlecamp's old webpage. Mayby he'll notice this and comment.

Mark75H
12-15-2002, 09:34 PM
The tillers were added by restorers who thought the ads showing the short tiller were factual, I think there may once been a factory display 20H with the handle as well. Definitly not the way they were sold or raced.

More and more incorrect stuff is being done like this because of stuff like the old ad.