PDA

View Full Version : 87 YT V King top speeds

MUDSHARK
03-04-2011, 04:26 PM
I just bought another Hydrostream last weekend and have been behind the wheel one time since then. Boat is solid and has stock interior with a nice windshield and a 2.5 that has probably been ragged a little too hard once or twice. I was just wondering if any one else that has one of these hulls could give me some pointers on top speed I could see with this set up. It has a hydraulic jackplate with 6 inches of setback. CLE lower with stock 200 gears, 20inch old school ridgeback mid, and a 2.5 200 power head. Turns a 27 mazco at 6900 and 84.9mph. Took it to the swannee last week and it was so easy to drive and seemed to have some more in it as far as top speed but I wanted to know if speeds in the mid 90s are atainable with this 2.5 carb motor. All the streams Ive had have been V hulls and this is the first YT for me.

rdkvector
03-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Absolutely, I'd try a 30p cleaver on it.

Dave Strong
03-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Knew a guy with one had a stock 2.5 245hp Carb motor it ran 94mph at 3000' and best prop was Mazco RE3.

Dave

wideglide55
03-05-2011, 07:55 AM
29 pitch RE-3 but go easy on the trim over 90

syclone01
03-08-2011, 11:04 AM
my friend had a yt valero bowrider..he was 89mph with a 3.0 looper, srx 29 prop. He had to have a little work to the prop and it came alive. I think he was running 10" of setback to get the bow up without too much trim....

transomstand
03-08-2011, 11:19 AM
I would either add a cone to the CLE, or switch to a sporty. You're getting near blow out speed for a stock CLE.

Those boats will run 100+ with a good setup and enough power.

MUDSHARK
03-08-2011, 01:03 PM
The CLE has a cone on it but I would love to have a sporty. Im saving up for a new motor and would like to run a 260 but thats money that I dont have right now so I will run this old carb motor to death. Went out yesterday and raised the jackplate up a little higher than my first run. I got 88.4 @7100 with the 27. The local pawn shop has a nice Mazco 30 that im goin to buy before the weekend. Looks like a nice prop and i hope it gets me in the 90s. I noticed that too much trim on this hull can be dangerous and it seem like there is a fine line between getting the nose up a little and getting it up way to high. Im still getting the feel of this style of hull its my first tunnel v but I like it. Nice stable ride thru chop but still makes most people that ride in it with me pretty scared. I love to drive but hate to ride! Not that it matters to me but my last few hydrostream threw a nasty rooster tail, the yt doesnt have as high. Not much taller than the motor. Is that because of the prop or the hull? Is 6in of setback good for this hull or should I use more. I have a wedge that i could put in but didnt think it would affect much its only about an inch thick at the top. Either way I really love this boat. It is in the nicest original condition Ive ever seen. Wish I could figure out how to put pics on here but Im not that good with the computer. If i could figure how to do it with my Iphone it would be no problem.

Dave Strong
03-08-2011, 01:30 PM
The Mazco will give bow lift with even less trim, found altitude a big deal on tunnels. Boats that can run cleavers at sea level work better with chopper style once you get up over1500', loose a bit of hp and air and water tend to thin out a tad giving less lift.
Your set back must close if the roost is same height as engine, the lower the better. Get someone to vid or take pics of you running, ideally the prop shaft should be parallel to the water with the bow at its best attack angle. CLE's will run over 100mph as long as no poss trim is needed, the more trim needed the quicker they blowout.
Good luck have fun and use the saftey gear, Vest and Teather.

Dave

transomstand
03-08-2011, 01:35 PM
I would think a 30 Mazco would put you over 90. Yes, too much trim can give you a real bad day, I've not had the pleasure of a blowover, but a number of my friends have.

I wouldn't expect a tall rooster from that hull, so I think you're in pretty good shape. Keep bumping the engine higher, it will go faster, just watch the water pressure. The numbers you report indicate your setup is basically good, just needs some tweaking.

transomstand
03-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Don't be in a hurry to dump the coned CLE, some guys like them better than Sportys (I might be one of them)

Dave Strong
03-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Don't be in a hurry to dump the coned CLE, some guys like them better than Sportys (I might be one of them)

Who's cone do ya have.

Dave

wideglide55
03-08-2011, 01:42 PM
30P may put the 200 right to sleep.

Sonik
03-08-2011, 01:43 PM
On the contrary, I think you need to run far far away from that coned CLE. :D I'll send you my address so you know where to "dump" it off. :thumbsup:

MUDSHARK
03-08-2011, 01:52 PM
The CLE is good for now. I wont be dumping it anywhere other than the river on a bad day. Not sure what cone is on it. Just bought it the other day it came on the boat. Goin to the Suwannee this weekend and I cant wait.

transomstand
03-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Who's cone do ya have.

Dave

I've got a Bob's, tweaked by Ronnie.

Dave Strong
03-08-2011, 02:13 PM
I've got a Bob's, tweaked by Ronnie.

:thumbsup:

Dave

brockshydro
03-12-2011, 11:23 PM
http://www.screamandfly.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=226249&d=1295986504mine is an 87 vking yt with a yamaha 150 prov turning a mazco re3 5800rpms running 84.6. it has 4 inch setback with hydraulic jack plate and have ran it about 1.5 inch above the pad after that the number tend to fall off and rpms went to high. also full interior boathttp://www.screamandfly.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=203719&d=1240956843

MUDSHARK
03-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Yea I remember running that red YT in the Tail Race last summer and the year before that. I had a green,silver and black Velaro im sure you remember. I got another prop for the Yt on friday but didnt run it by myself. With two people in the boat 88.4@6900 with a 30p Mazco O/S. the prop would blow out every time over 7000 no matter how much trim or height on the jack plate.

MUDSHARK
03-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Tried the Mazco O\S 30 and didnt like it. It would blow out around 85-88 everytime. Ran best when I had the jackplate real low. Im going to try a 26 yam drag and see what kind of numbers I can run. I hope to turn it around 7500. I was so close to 90 but have no use for a prop that slips at those speeds. Why did it slip? Do all cleaver style props have that characteristc? Its a 14 1/2 30pitch. Slipped bad out of the hole and top end. Could never find the sweet spot for it. Its for sale, I will post it on the props section 8 out of 10 on the scale. It should be good for someone.

syclone01
03-15-2011, 10:20 PM
mudshark, talked to you saturday...I have a friend that had a valero yt...he had good luck with the omc srx 29 prop, had to have a good prop guy do a little work to it, but it really worked well after that. I was in the black laser ltv, with my friend sean, he's the one that had the valero yt as well.

wideglide55
03-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Cleavers are best used on very light boats and for top speed only,cruise speed and holeshot usually suck on most Hydrostreams,stock SRX props are not very good either,they need work by a good prop guy,on the other hand Mazcos work very well on Hydrostreams in most cases.They have great holeshot with awesome bowlift,look at brockdhydro he is running 85 with a 150,that says it all.I had a stock Merc chopper and my Daytona ran 85 on the limiter,Mazco RE-3 gained me 11mph with no change to set-up whatsoever.A Hoss or Spinelli chopper would work also.

MUDSHARK
03-16-2011, 12:05 AM
Yea I will try to get my hands on a RE3 or a SRX. You can never have to many props. I m still trying to find what works best for ME. I would still like to try a Yamaha drag, never had one of those props befoe.

MUDSHARK
03-16-2011, 12:12 AM
That Black Laser was looking good on the suwannee.

200valeroyt
03-16-2011, 09:19 AM
My yt was a bowrider, so I'm not really sure how much more weight I had on the bow? But, the balance with more setback and a 27srx that had been cupped/rolled, made a big improvement. Good looking yt! I loved mine, until it delaminated!

JWTjr.
03-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Cleavers are best used on very light boats and for top speed only,cruise speed and holeshot usually suck on most Hydrostreams,stock SRX props are not very good either,they need work by a good prop guy,on the other hand Mazcos work very well on Hydrostreams in most cases.They have great holeshot with awesome bowlift,look at brockdhydro he is running 85 with a 150,that says it all.I had a stock Merc chopper and my Daytona ran 85 on the limiter,Mazco RE-3 gained me 11mph with no change to set-up whatsoever.A Hoss or Spinelli chopper would work also.

this is spot on. Unless you're running a comp or otherwise very light hull, with very little load and a lot of power, a cleaver will not be your best choice.

syclone01
03-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Mudshark, maybe in the next few weeks i might take my boat down to the suwannee . If i do i'll bring my 27 and 29 srx, they both have had a little work done to them and you can try them.

MUDSHARK
03-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks so much for the info about the props. This is just a different hull for me and I didn't have any idea what prop would be best for it. I would love to make another run down to the Suwannee and a prop test would be awesome. I'll be busy with work for the next month and then a Vegas Trip coming up but I will be looking for some nice props with at the eight price. Got a friend that can get any new prop at dealer cost and I think I will have him order a 27mazco re3. Any good prop guys in the Gainesville or Jacksonville area?

syclone01
03-16-2011, 01:43 PM
gene at REMCO in lake city is very good with a prop, he's been there done that. I think he had a yt hull running over 110 back in the day with a 2.4, nothing was stock and he had it jacked to the moon, transom water pickup etc....I've used him, as well as several friends.

MUDSHARK
03-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Sweet, Im in lake city pretty often and I will check him out. Thanks alot.