PDA

View Full Version : gas price protest

jag
04-23-2001, 11:24 AM
I just read on another board about a way to protest gas prices. Seeing how we can't stop buying gas this sounded like a logical way to protest. Exxon and Mobile are the two leading gas companies and there setting the prices for there competition. So as long as we keep buying from them they can keep hiking up there prices and there competition will follow. So if we stop buying our gas from Exxon and mobile maybe they'll have to lower there prices to keep competitive.

Like I said I read this on another board it makes sense I don't know if it will work or not but the word needs to get out for it to work so tell anybody and everybody....We need to try something the prices are going up way to fast and that means the price of everything will follow with it.

Ron V
04-23-2001, 11:31 AM
I think something else that may help is this: The gas companies count on high volumes around holiday weekends in order to screw us. What would happen if everyone slowly built up the supply they need for the holiday weekend, in portable cans, weeks in advance and then bought nothing during the entire holiday weekend, when they've jacked the prices up another 50 cents or whatever. Imagine if they sold NOTHING, or next to nothing, during one of their holiday weekend scams?

Things are looking bad in IL already. Already up to $1.80 for the cheap Clark 87 octane and they are saying they cannot afford a temporary gas tax elimination for the summer like last year.

Mercrauder
04-23-2001, 03:29 PM
Agree...In Denmark 1$ for 1 litre...!!!
gaz companies are in too much control...!

04-23-2001, 03:58 PM
We never did meet up last summer. We got to get together and do some running this year, maybe do some boat swapping for grins! Drag boater Tom Wright wants to meet you too, the three of us from Kazoo need to get together and tell some good stories!! I usually go to Barton Lake, want to hit Gull soon too. Let me know!

Euroski
04-23-2001, 04:44 PM
Until something else is found to replace gas, wer're just SCREWED! Remember when all the environment protesters killed wide spread use of neclear power reactors? Wonder if they were all young CEO's of the oil companies? I am just about finished with a nuke powered turbine to replace my Merc. I figure as soon as I find about a pound of uranium I am ready to turn my Merc ET-28 to 10,000rpm! Look out...

Techno
04-23-2001, 06:50 PM
I don't think it was the protesters that killed nuke power. It was thier inability to build them cheaply. the last one was 1-2 billion over budget.
On top of that almost all of thier safety rules are based on prior events.
A safety item. A plant used a candle to check for drafts after some insulation work, there was a draft, it sucked the flame into the wall and eliminated thier primary and secondary control wiring which was run through the same area. the plant wasn't designed for a mechanical shut down and only the expertise of the operaters allowed the plant to be shut down. Now there is a rule for Nuke plants to use non flammable draft detectors
The industries idea of redundancy leaves me wondering when you can run your back up diesal pump and take the electric primary off line to do maintenaince on it. This was done with the NRCs approval(the fuel was bad and was plugging the filters faster than they could clean them, they had to bring tankers in to keep the diesal running). What would have happened if they had needed a secondary system?

My idea of redundancy was the steering controls on my ship. 1:The bridge had two cables running on opposite sides of the ship. 2:Secondary con had two more run in different areas of the ship 3: Damage control central had a wheel with two cables run in different areas as well. 3: Steering control with the engines. 4: manual control of the steering rams from the steering rooms(2 rooms 4 hydralic pumps) 5:Manual pumping of the hydralics to move the rudders.
This is a bit more than needed but if you count all of them you get nine different ways of controlling the steering.

It got 12" to the mile (nautical I think) and could reach highway speeds. but not with that economical of Feet/gallon milage.