PDA

View Full Version : Which Prop? Cleaver or Chopper?

Lethal
02-23-2011, 05:36 AM
Hi I am in Australia and have had a Bullet 1750 lightweight with a 220HP Yamaha for the last 25years, it has a jacking plate with the cav plate up 4.5 inches and I run a 23inch Laser 2 prop for social skiing giving me a top speed of about 85mph at the rev limiter of which it gets to easily. I am looking for a prop just for fun to give me top end speed and would like to know if a cleaver style or chopper would be the go thinking about 28inch. Your input would be fantastic. Cheers.

Liberator*21
02-23-2011, 06:11 AM
Cleavers are associated with speed and if that's what your looking for than a cleaver is the one. A cleaver would not be a great all around prop. The hole shot with a cleaver sucks, but once it's on plane the speeds comes quickly............

Carter Powell
03-06-2011, 02:47 PM
since you are already running a round ear prop I think that a chopper would be the most likely candidate especially if your rig handles Ok with the curent prop. Choppers will usually pull a skier out of the hole very well, acturally much better than some thru hub props. I would think that trying the same pitch that you already have would still net you a higher top speed just because of it will be a more efficient prop on the top end. You want to stick with a big ear chopper versus a small ear chopper.

Best wishes, Carter Powell

Lethal
03-28-2011, 05:45 AM
I found the cleaver to be the better prop choice after testing both..........I could plane from 1500rpm and up but with the chopper could not go below 2300rpm cleaver also had a great top end. Chopper wanted to point the nose to high.

HStream1
04-01-2011, 06:07 AM
I found the cleaver to be the better prop choice after testing both..........I could plane from 1500rpm and up but with the chopper could not go below 2300rpm cleaver also had a great top end. Chopper wanted to point the nose to high.

Choppers are a bow lift prop design. Cleavers are a stern lift prop and like Gary mentioned come on for top end.