PDA

View Full Version : Wheelers-4x4 or 2x4?

Rocket
11-10-2002, 09:09 AM
I'm looking a t getting something to pull my boat in and out at the race's next year.
My question is, Do you have to get a 4x4? or will a 2 wheel drive 4-wheeler pull 1600 lbs. boats up and down the boat ramp?

I am thinking like a 400 hp or more. maybe a Yammaha 660 rapter!

:confused:

FCnLa
11-10-2002, 10:07 AM
A two wheel drive ought to do it, no sweat. Unless it is one of those slick/steep ramps. You might encounter some probems when wet.

I think I would go ahead be safe and get a 4X4. I have a Yami Big Bear. It has a low range that will pull a heavy load.

If I was using it on concrete/asphalt I would try to get one that you can shift from 2wd to 4wd. In 2wd it would be easier to turn (because of no drive line wind up) and would not wear tires as bad. You could be safe and pull it out with 4wd.

Happy hunting!:)

Gordie Miller
11-10-2002, 12:03 PM
It MUST be 4WD and at least 400cc. I've helped push a bunch of 2WD ones over the years. You'll regret it every time you use it if you don't.

Rocket
11-10-2002, 12:10 PM
that's kinda what I figured!
But if a golf cart (gas) can do it, why can't a 660cc two wheel drive 4-wheeler?

I realy don't want a 4x4 (I like the racing type 4-wheelers) but if I am going to get ANY stress from 2 wheel drive, I will start looking for a 4x4.:eek:

Fasteke
11-10-2002, 09:55 PM
The Yamaha Big Bear 4x4 is the BEST. We have two of those, and you can't stop them. The Yamaha's run forever. Our old Moto 4 2x4 is 17 years old and is still in great shape. Just turn the key and away you go.

stvhelm
11-10-2002, 10:11 PM
I have a 660 raptor. there's no place for a hitch. besides that first gear is to tall, you'd wind up smoking the clutch. it idles in first gear over 5mph. otherwise its one mean machine.

airide18
11-10-2002, 10:27 PM
For a 2 stroke raptor its to much for the engine to handle.
Those types of engines arnt made to pull heavy loads.

stvhelm
11-10-2002, 11:05 PM
the Raptor is a 4 stroke engine. it has gobs of torque.

Rocket
11-11-2002, 02:27 AM
What about the Wolverine? Good for pulling Boat? Good for fun?

Gordie Miller
11-11-2002, 12:32 PM
Tough to have your cake and eat it too. You can still have fun on a utility 4 wheeler, but it's all but impossible to make a fun/race 4 wheeler into a utility machine.

airide18
11-11-2002, 08:11 PM
Man and i always thought the raptor was a 2 stroke.:confused:

eautosales
11-11-2002, 08:15 PM
BUY A 4X4 SOME RAMPS ARE NASTY

sho305
11-14-2002, 11:28 AM
2wd only works on great ramps. IMHO, I would only buy a Polaris if you are not racing. Screw that shifting, and the scrambler is pretty fast for casual trail riding. I think it would pull a boat, but better to get the sportsman one with low range. A 300cc with low range will pull until it spins. They have good suspension yet, and all have push-botton 4x4. Also have large protected foot area. I checked out the new twin a guy here has, I like lots! 700cc!
http://www.polarisindustries.com/aboutUs/news/default.asp?articleid=B463B9BB-034A-49B9-AD5D-FB05CD4000FA&newsHeadline=Polaris+Sportsman+700+Twin+Named+%0D%0AATV+Magazine%26%238217%3Bs+%26%238220%3BATV+of+t he+Year%26%238221%3B%0D%0A

See everyone chasing Polaris with automatics now. Plus they are more American than others, and the 700 is the first American motor. You can pull the front of that smooth monster right up.

Above is just my opinion, but note the quads are limited by weight mostly for those who never run one. Unlike a tractor, they are light and spin. Hard to pull on sand at all, hard to get traction and that is why 4x4 is very nice. I rode a 400 scrambler and could powerslide corners, then hit 4x4 and blast through mud and snow. Having the instant choice is great. 2wd worthless in more than 6" snow here as well. If you have racks, you can put weight on there to pull better. Talk to people about them to find out what works for what.

Golf Cart-is not the same. With only 11hp it rarely spins with the big tires. Imagine a 10hp garden tractor pulling, and that is about right, except the clutch will not gear down quite as far with the big tires. May be better with an adjustable clutch. I can get 30-35 on a level road after winding it out for a while. Without the power of the quad you are limited, but can go many places a quad can, and have more fun doing it in comfort. I can pull my empty 17' trailer out of the crappy RR tie ramp fine. I pulled a 15'? fibergalss out with two guys pushing. With more power it would spin as it has an open diff to keep from tearing the yard up; yet I could put some weight in back too. It makes no tracks on grass with the huge knobbys. I don't need a helmet really, and anyone can hop on it--no any two can and more if I want a rear seat.

I can pull my 17' 930lb Merc 150 Checkmate around the yard and park it anywhere. It goes up hills slow, but will do it within reason. 20hp and posi would be great. If you are not in mud/ice/& beer, it will take about any trail you can stay on the seat on(or if the average wife was riding with you). I have drove over bare RR tracks and 12" logs. It is more fun than anything, and safer I think due to generally lower speeds. Takes off good to 25mph or so. I run it every weekend, and have not gone through 10gallons of gas this summer. You can find one for $1k yet maybe, and $430 for the quad tires/wheels/caps/stems. I did the lift myself.

Note you can get 18" knobbys for the little go-carts that are the same size as a stock cart tire. With this size, you will have more pulling power. I think with some weight in back if needed, you could easily pull a 18' OB ski boat out of a good ramp that was not too steep. The knobbys get better grip on pavement too, as they are soft and have a big contact patch. You could go anywhere you don't hang it up on the frame. Will slow it top speed a little if not aired up harder. You will run out of rpms at top speed with the little tires anyway, as my 22"s gear it up some.