PDA

View Full Version : antfouling paint removal

bsullivan403
01-21-2011, 08:23 AM
What is the best way to remove antifouling paint? I was looking at the peel away that you paint on and then pressure wash off but i've never used it before. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

delawarerick
01-21-2011, 08:36 AM
Media blasted is the best and easest. You probably have someone local check his previous work. Rick

amityray
01-21-2011, 04:28 PM
What is the best way to remove antifouling paint? I was looking at the peel away that you paint on and then pressure wash off but i've never used it before. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I used the peel away marine. It works but messy as hell and you may have to redo some areas. It works best when it warm out. When your done you still may have a "tint" of color left if the boat is white. I just wet sanded with 1000 and it looks new.

keomotorsports
01-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Petit makes a bottom paint remover.. I have not used it so dont no how good it works..Blasting works well but make sure they know what there doing..

Smoking Joe
01-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Here in NZ we either use Soda blast or scrapers. If using scrape method take the corners off the blade with a grinder. This will help stop gouges and allows you to run up against strakes. Good luck.

Bies
02-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Anchor paint has a stripper called Skim,and when done can be neautralized with water

hammertool64
03-06-2011, 09:36 PM
I run a fiberglass shop in NC and I purchased an attachment that goes on my pressure washer that allows you to use a sand with it. This gives you the sandblasting tech without all the dust. This system works really well but you will still have to final sand and buff hull to get a factory gel finish. I have also run into having to re-gel if person sanding boat to prep for bottom paint was to heavy handed. The attachment cost around 125.00