PDA

View Full Version : balance

joelsob
01-13-2011, 10:49 PM
SO I HAVE HAD THE SAME ALLISON RR FOR ABOUT 20 YEARS NOW

THE FIRST MOTOR WAS A MONTY LOOPER V-6 ON A BOBS JACK INVERTED AND RUNNING A 26 ALLISON DRAG CUT MERC CHOPPER THEN AN AIYSEN 27 AT 8400

WHEN I NAILED IT IT WOULD ALMOST FLIP OVER BACKWARD UNTIL I PUT ON AN ALUMINUM " WHALE TAIL' THAT WAS GIGANTIC

IF I TRIMMED WINDING OUT IT WOULD ACCELRERATE TO THE PAD HIT AND GO INTO THE ALLISON CHINE WALK.....YOU WERE DONE

I TRIED 50 LB BAGS OF SHOTGUN SHELL LEAD UP FRONT..IN THE BACK SEAT JUST ABOUT EVERYWHERE....THEN I REALIZED THAT TRIMMING FOR BOW LIFT WAS NOT THE TRICK...
...ALLISON GAVE ME A ...'LEVERAGE SPACER" WITH THE PROP WHICH PUT THE PROP ABOUT 2 INCHES FARTHER BACK ON THE SHAFT..
I DID NOT NEED ANY TRIM OUT THE BOAT FOUND ITS BALANCE. RUNNING LEVEL

..SO AFTER RUN AFTER RUN AFTER RUN FINALLY FINDING THE BEST TOP END I LEFT THE TRIM AT THE BEST SPEED, WHICH WAS ALMOST NO ROOSTER TALE AND ALMOST JUST LEVEL WITH THE BOTTOM TO THE TIP OF THE CONE

I TIED IT DOWN WITH A ROPE AT THE BEST TOP END LEVEL AND SET THE TUCK UNDER PIN, FOR SAFETY TRIMMED DOWN,

AND ENDED UP WITH ONLY ABOUT 1/2 INCH OF TRIM TRAVEL.

.I KEPT THE BOAT IN BALANCE FROM TRIM UNDER TO TRIMMED OUT AND COULD NOT OVER TRIM WHICH PUT THE BOAT OUT OF BALANCE CHINE WALKING..

ABOUT 6 MONTHS OF A COUPLE RUNS A WEEK AND FINALLY FINDING IT THAT WAS ALMOST 20 YEARS AGO

SO NOW I DECIDED TO GO THE ORIGINAL ERA STOCK 1992 175 60 DEGREE, 100 LBS LIGHTER AND THE BOAT BALANCE IS GREAT

AND EACH TIME OUT STILL TIED DOWN TO ABOUT LEVEL AND SEEING 30 + POUNDS OF WATER PRESSURE GO UP ANOTHER 1/8 INCH AND KEEP FINDING ANOTHER 100 OR SO RPM AND A MILE AN HOUR OR 2 SEVERAL TIMES SO FAR

I CANT REALLY OVER TRIM TIED DOWN LIKE IT IS

AND WITH A K-10 ON A SEASTAR PRO HELM ITS STILL RUNNING STRAIGHT AS AN ARROW..

MY REASON FOR THE POST AND KINDA' A QUESTION IS WHERE DO YOU STOP GOING UP?................ IT SEEMS WITH THE BOBS ALLISON CONE ITS NEVER GOING TO BE WATER PRESSURE.

.AND i'M JUST ON THE REV LIMITER WHICH I'M GONNA' CUT OUT

AT 88 MPH NOW AND BALANCED LEVEL AND STABLE

2 1/2 BACK ON THE INVERTED BOBS JACK...

..HOW MUCH ABOVE THE PAD CAN THE BOBS ALLISON NOSE CONE RUN BEFORE????

I WANT TO STOP SHORT OF 1/8 TOO MUCH AND KEEP WANTING ANOTHER MILE OR TWO ON EACH 1/8TH UP... SO HOW HIGH ABOVE THE PAD IS STILL IN REALITY??? I HAVE THE SAME GEARCASE THAT RAN 100 WITH THE LOOPER

NICE AND FRESH FROM BOB'S AND KINDA' WANT TO KNOW WHEN TO QUIT GOING UP

FUJIMO
01-14-2011, 08:24 AM
On most Allison's Joel, its as far up as water pressure will allow. Cone or no cone. Its just a matter of having enough skeg at this point. Many times larger skegs need to be incorporated. This is why speedmaster gearcases have such large skegs. Sometimes swinging a slightly larger diameter(& pitch) prop becomes neccessary, to keep in touch with reality, lol. When your pressure starts falling off, your at the end of the road. Now, if you can create a method to feed the water intake(s) additional water, you can go all the higher. A little trick that few know about, coming from the racing world, is to screw a small L-shaped piece of aluminum(or stainless) to the bottom trailing edge of your transom, just ahead of your gearcase, that is bent up ever so slightly, aimed at your water intakes. The waterflow(slipstream) will adhere to the bottom edge of the curved metal surface, as it leaves the transom. Amazing how well it works, and won't sacrifice any speed. Use this idea when your at the point of loosing PSI & getting too hot. Hope this helps. (p.s...Did you go to last weekends car show/auction at the armory on Sunrise.?)

joelsob
01-14-2011, 09:48 AM
hello fujimo.thanks for writing back......i like scream and fly to be able to talk and find out without causing a mistake because I was not there yet..

I know the angle aluminum trick from my friends actions from years gone by and your are right that little trick is a really good one.

I plugged and filled the nose cone to have only 3 holes not 5 and still twist the water pressure gauge all the way around

then used a chain saw chain file to radius in the slots. so the water has a nice path coming in

..and I filed the skeg with a bias towards the props downswing instead of sanding the skeg to a v point, thinking some more water would run down the props bite side

the allison pad has a small turndown at the backside of the pad and for now I dont want to drill. for any small extension.

.allison makes an interesting plate...a skid planer which bolts to the jack plate and basically fills the gap back to the cav plate so at top end its clear...its mostly for low to midrange acceleration.. dont need that for now

now my skeg is stock 200 gt with a welded in torque tamer by bobs and they know that a nose cone for an allison is put on for an allison.

what I dont want is blowout but it seems like I can keep going up and I'm careful to only try 1/8 at a time.

with a stock 29 sst rx it comes out fast and hooks up...but now at flat out I think im on the rev limiter but its soft and just quits winding up at about 6000.....

I forgot the trick with the optical ignition to bypass the limiter..

...as I almost remember you cut one of the orange black power coil wires and put b+ back in to the pack..
I did this back in 93 when I ran a 60 degree...when you went to start it would only light up as you released the key, and slow and quickstart were gone.
I dont want to get a cdi pack which I think has no limiter...

so I'm up another 1/8 from the last run..

I go to markum on a weekday afternoon every now and then I saw you are from fort laud....

maybe we meet up one day!!! about 3 pm...

I had the good time of going to cadillacs OFF and got some videos.... I put them on you tube ....joelsoutboard.

if you listen close you can hear the revlimiter just softening the rpm.

I sure would like to try a 30..but there are no 30 sstrx which is so good and runs so straight not sure what another blade configuration will do

so i'm run by run by run trying to squeeze the last few mph out of that stock 175, and looking for the absolute best top end rigging setup..

and I gotta' admit I need over 90 to be satisfied

thanks for writing

joel......
one little step at a time

I cruised by the car show on my little buell, and cruised the lot I did not go inside...once I saw the red 63 split window vette' out in the lot Iwas in heaven

Mr. Demeanor
01-17-2011, 11:13 AM
If you have the 5 holes intake Bobs nosecone you can plug the two upper/outer holes and pick up about 1/4" more height. I plugged mine by tapping and installing two stainless allen head set screws. If it doesnt work you can easily go back. I did not have to make the three remaining holes any larger.