PDA

View Full Version : Sport Utility ATV

at100plus
11-06-2002, 12:59 PM
Well boating season is over, and I find myself once again, missing my snowmobile but since the snow always sucks, wanting an ATV.

Last year I looked at the Polaris Scrambler 500 all winter on Ebay, but I'm just not sure that I would like it, (being a former 1999 Banshee owner). I like the looks of the Wolverine better, but I'm afraid the mere 15 hp 350 4 stroke is a bit weak. The other 4x4s like the Recon and the Grizzly are too damn big, might as well buy a Jeep.

So it's narrowed down again to the Wolverine and the Scrambler.

I like to have a fast quad, but I also enjoy putsing around on small trails, and I want to ride in snow. I'd also think it's cool to have a small plow to do my driveway and the neighbor's here and there but don't intend to use it for heavy workloads.

So what is the best quad for me?

Airboater
11-06-2002, 06:41 PM
Everybody down here is selling there 4wheelers and buying golfcarts and putting liftkits on and adding bigger tires and fancy wheels.I havent seen any 4wheeldrives yet but they go pretty good for an electric motor.:cool:

at100plus
11-07-2002, 12:06 AM
WHY? Electric golf carts or gas? Are they good off road?

Revinrude
11-07-2002, 01:34 PM
Hi,Mike I work at Kawasaki of Putnam part time
we sell Polaris, Yam and Kawa ATV's
I would suggest a Yamaha Kodiak 400 or 440
Liquid cooled, on demand 4X4 (this makes it good for sport ridiing in 2WD or work in 4WD)
about the same size as a wolverine,
we sell a ton of em and i hate to say it about a jap product but the Yamaha stuff is bullet proof
Or on the other side of the coin buy a Yamaha
Warrior 4 stroke 2WD elec start it would be ok to move some light snow etc but a much better sport machine.
Hope this helps Jim

Jim MacAdams I bought your 225 Rude Vindicator from you

at100plus
11-07-2002, 02:06 PM
Jim,

My buddy bought the Kodiac 400 and I rode it. It's a nice machine, but I found it strange that it seems to be one speed. Does the thing have a transmission? It just revs and never seems to shift. I wasn't really impressed with it's performance either.

If the Wolverine had a more powerful engine, that would definitely be my choice. I've ridden a Warrior, and it ran decent, but I heard they are a little faster than the Wolverine. The Wolverine is only 15 hp right.

Raceman
11-07-2002, 10:27 PM
Mike, I've got several old ones that've been around here for years, since my son was interested. There's an old Banshee and a couple of 250R Hondas. Several years ago I bought a new Wolverine and I really liked it. I sold it after only a year because we just weren't using it. It doesn't have the big hit of the other 3, but sure was fun to ride. I didn't realize they were only rated at 15 HP. It sure felt stronger.

at100plus
11-07-2002, 10:36 PM
How much for the Banshee? I had a 99 and I did all the goodies. Then I sold it when I realized I had 8 grand in something that you beat on, get muddy and scuff against trees...

Is the Wolverine capable of plowing?

Revinrude
11-08-2002, 08:07 AM
Mike, the wolverine will plow . Yes15 HP on the
cert of origin but ive never seen any other specs on this engine, rember torque does the
plowing not horsepower.
If you do buy a plow, buy a Moose brand plow
avoid the Cycle Country ones as they are junk.
The Kodiak has a belt type trans like a sled
so thats why it dosnt seem to shift, check out the ,03 models they dropped the price on the 400 Kodiak and added a 440 to the line.
The warrior is a really sweet sport machine for the dough plenty fast 350cc w/electric start
I have never seen one with a plow though.
After a banshee everything else will seem pretty tame! :eek:

Jim

at100plus
11-08-2002, 08:26 AM
The kodiak didn't seem to wind up before taking off like a sled though. Is it a centrifugal clutch??

I wish I could have a raptor with a front drive. :cool:

Revinrude
11-08-2002, 09:11 AM
Mike, yea it's a cent clutch probably a different setup than a sled (rpm engagement point etc) plus a 2 stroke verses a 4 stroke.
Now were talking, 660 Raptor on demand 4X4
w/ High Low trans for the plowing. :D

It's tough trying to find an ATV that will do it all
sport and utility, seems when thy try to build a rig to do both it dosent do either well.
example, any dual sport motorcycle.

Still don't rule out the wolverine or the warrior.

Jim

at100plus
11-08-2002, 10:17 AM
Well the Wolverine is peppy right? and there are some mods that can be done to bring out those 15 ponies aren't there? I'm seriously considering this one or the Scrambler. I think the Scrambler is faster, but I don't like the fully auto. It's a bit heavy too and I've heard bad things about "on demand" 4wd.

Revinrude
11-08-2002, 11:28 AM
Mike the wolverine is plenty peppy as is , also you are right about the mods there is plenty more power to be had from that engine.
Head Pipe and silencer K&N Filter charger almost any Warrior mod will work on the Wolverine.
We sell Polaris ATV's and I just bought an '03
Polaris 600 Touring sled so this will sound a bit strange, but DON'T but a Polaris ATV you will not be happy in the long run.
Also don't let stories about EARLY on demand 4X4 scare you as long as you are buying '99 or later Yamaha or Kawasaki Honda etc your all set.

Jim

at100plus
11-08-2002, 02:01 PM
Just saw a 2000 400 EX locally. He wants $3800 and it's in good condition with a few aftermarket goodies. I might offer him $3300 and say the hell with 4 wd. What do ya think? They make tires that work well in snow for 2wd quads don't they?

Revinrude
11-08-2002, 03:05 PM
Sounds good, yes they make some very aggressive tires that would work great in snow
see if your local dealer is a parts unlimited dealer then take a look through their catalog
for some new treds. you can also get chains if you want to go that route.
see if you can find out how often he changed the oil and filter. sounds like a good price EX 400 is a great machine

Good luck Mike let me know if i can help any more Jim

stvhelm
11-08-2002, 06:39 PM
dude get the raptor. you'll be pissed when i kick your a_s all over the trails if you dont:D "GONADS" man.
I just got in from tearing up the trails behind my house. I ran into some horseback riders and got yelled at:p I turned around and nailed it when i looked back the horse was standing on 2 legs. Was FUN

at100plus
11-08-2002, 06:44 PM
Helmut,

I just rode the 400 EX. I talked him down to $3600 w/o cash in hand. I might even be able to knock him down to $3500. That's a pretty good deal isn't it? The kid is quiet overweight, and believable. He says he didn't ride it much and it doesn't seem to be used much. It's got a DG front bumper alum rear wheels, a heavier rear shock, and shockwears.

Fasteke
11-10-2002, 09:58 PM
Greatest thing on 4 wheels. The Raptor is VERRRY quick, but the Banshee sure moves through those power bands. Whatever you do, stick with Yamaha - can't beat them.:D :D
The Big Bear is great for a work ATV.

at100plus
11-10-2002, 11:06 PM
Picking up the Honda on Tuesday. I would get it tomorrow, but of course, it's Veterans day and the bank is closed. I can't think of any way to get certified funds when the bank is closed...Dammit.

Can't go wrong with the Honda.....the four stroke is easier to maintain and keep together, and it's better in the tight trails.

stvhelm
11-10-2002, 11:16 PM
when are we going riding. my boats really pissing me off. I lost 3 mph from august to november. I thought the cold air is supposed to be faster. I'm tired of thinking about it. I need to go beat on something else. my poor taurus is gettin the beat'n now. i cant afford to break that.

at100plus
11-10-2002, 11:38 PM
I'm off Wednesday and Thursday this week, then Tues/Wed, then Mon/Tues and finally Sunday two weeks from now. Can ya get a weekday off?

Barefoot Bob
11-10-2002, 11:40 PM
I have a 2000 400 EX, full skids, K&N filter, jet kit, White Bothers pipe, DG front bumper and Sidwinder stainless rear sprocket.
I can stick side by side with a stock Rapter. My buddies Rapter has all the goodies I have on my EX. He can blow right by me on the open road. But he eats my dust in the woods. The EX is alot easyer to get through the trees.

Pretty good for a little 400cc:D

at100plus
11-10-2002, 11:43 PM
That's where I like to ride. One thing I hated about my Banshee is always having to feather the throttle to tame the thing in tight woods.

Rocket
11-11-2002, 02:20 AM
Revinrude, I like the looks of the Wolverine better than the Kodiak. What are the main differances? Is the Wolverine full time 4 wheel drive?

Thanks!

Revinrude
11-11-2002, 07:24 AM
Rocket,
Wolverine 350cc 4 stroke full time 4 WD w/ standard transmission (clutch and toe shift)
Yamaha calls it a sport / utility machine.

Kodiak 400 or 440 cc 4 stroke on demand 4 WD w/handle bar switch full automatic trans like a sled W/ hi lo range
Yamaha calls it a utility machine that can be sport ridden.

Mike good luck with the Honda sounds like a
good deal.

Jim

Rocket
11-11-2002, 09:29 AM
Revinrude, So is the Wolverine powerfull enough to pul my STV in and out of the water at the races? Are they fast? Is it strange to ride with the full time four wheel drive, like does the front end bind up?

Who makes the EX?

Revinrude
11-11-2002, 10:25 AM
Rocket, I think it would be ok for pulling the STV in and out, Yamaha only rates it to pull 728 lbs but I think the Kodiak would be better but also more expensive.
The Wolverine is not that fast, ever ride a 200 Blaster ?about as fast on top but without the 2 stroke accelleration (sic)
The full time 4WD makes the machine want to push the front end and not turn thats why most if not all manufacturers are going to on demand 4X4 because it's better for sport riding

Honda makes the EX models and they are excellent.

Jim

at100plus
11-11-2002, 02:19 PM
I know you need a soft compound tire with a deep lug that is far apart, but any make/model suggestions for snow tires? Do those skis work that bolt up to the front axles? I want this ATV to double as a snowmobile!

Barefoot Bob
11-11-2002, 04:29 PM
They do make track kits that look real cool. I was thinking about it for the EX. But they are very expensive. You might as well just pick up a cheap sled for the deap stuff. I run ice screws in the tires of the quad for winter. It really hooks up on ice and hard packed snow. As long as you stay on hard snow your fine. The bad thing about the screws is they dull real fast if you hit dirt or grass.

I run on the frozen Minnesota river. The snowmobilers really look when they pass me and I am doing 60MPH

Rocket
11-12-2002, 12:43 AM
OK, Stupiod Question? I the EX 4 wheel drive? Could it pull boat ramps? :confused:

at100plus
11-12-2002, 01:03 AM
No, and I doubt it

Barefoot Bob
11-12-2002, 08:16 AM
No reverse on the EX, The Yamaha Rapter has reverse but both machines have a clutch.
More for fun than work.

at100plus
11-12-2002, 10:31 AM
TOYS TOYS TOYS:D

at100plus
11-12-2002, 10:32 AM
Crappy weather is not so crappy anymore!:cool:

Revinrude
11-12-2002, 10:46 AM
Mike, it looks great ! Nice ride, now go have some fun;)
Remember pin it and leave it:D

Jim

at100plus
11-12-2002, 10:55 AM
Now if I only had some time to ride it. I'm running around like a maniac:rolleyes:

Barefoot Bob
11-12-2002, 11:30 AM
I had to go and look if mine was still here:D

at100plus
11-12-2002, 11:53 AM
Is it still there? I hope it wasn't yours I stole. Big mouth of mine I had to go and post pictures :eek:

at100plus
11-18-2002, 11:59 PM
What a great machine the 400 EX is. If it only had reverse, it would be absolutely perfect.

I went riding today in North Jersey - W. Milford New Jersey. My friend lives up there. He has a Kodiac 4X4.

When we got started, I thought I was going to need a 4X4 too. The trail was wide. There was about 1 1/2 inches of snow, which was nice cause I felt like I was on the snowmobile trails. There were alot of rocks to negotiate, which meant most of these trails were 1st and 2nd gear only, and alot of creaping over rocks.

I was amazed at how well the 400 EX creaps slowly over rocks, trees and other obstacles. It doesn't mind going slow, yet it will wheelie at the blip of the throttle and run flat out right behind a Banshee.

I could never have done this ride on my old Banshee. The EX had great traction, and I never got stuck. There was one really really steep hill that I came to a stop on. I rolled back a bit and then hit the elect start, and blasted up the rest of the way. The 4x4 Kodiak got stuck in the same spot on that hill, and he had a helluva time getting up it.

The EX is light, easy to manuever, and the best handler at speeds on the trails. Great for jumping too.

Thumbs up to the Honda 400 EX. I know for sure now that this is the perfect ATV for me.

Barefoot Bob
11-19-2002, 08:12 AM
I really like mine, and I am waiting for Honda to come out with a new one. Something with unbeleivable power to eat all of the compatition up. Yhe 400 is still the king when it comes to manovering in the woods though.