PDA

View Full Version : one of my father inlaws toy's

sands
11-06-2002, 02:57 AM
This started out on the post your motor thought I would just start a new thread to tell the story.

My father in-law was about 18 years old and went to a race at lake havasu and watched a marathon race I think. He wanted his boat just like the one that raced at havasu a malinari that must have been Bill Sirois #998.

Well many years latter he started looking for a malinari and found one in Austin Texas. When he bought it had gold paint on it that was coming off. With a little work he was able to get all the gold paint off and back to the original color of yellow and black. Then rebuilt the transom and added about 10" of set back with the new transom. He had one motor waiting to be used and we had to take the other one off the fun deck (the old glastron deck boat). He rigged the boat this summer and just getting it dialed in. These are the pitchers I have from this summer I will be going home thanksgiving and plan on getting more pitchers of the malinari and the other toys too. Hope you like He will get a kick out of what everyone has to say. Thanks. Steve

sands
11-06-2002, 02:59 AM
more pic

sands
11-06-2002, 03:03 AM
the bad boys out back.

BK
11-06-2002, 07:14 AM
So,the original boat was yellow and black? Did it have twins on it?

I do have some other pics of boats that ran Havasu in the 1970's, but there were quite a few yellow and black ones. Do you know which year this one ran?

Bill Sirois - 1970 Havasu Classic Outboard World Championships:

Powercat
11-06-2002, 12:32 PM
I remember that several of the Molinari boats that were part of the Glastron/Merc Team in the early 70's were Yelllow and Black..
I worked at Glastron in Austin at that time and they used to store many of the raceboats in the styling shop where I worked. Since this boat was found in the Austin area I bet it was one of those from that batch.
Danny Leger

at100plus
11-06-2002, 12:45 PM
Anyone know what this boat was? I was told it was made by McDonnel Douglas, then I met some racer later and he said it was a McDougal and he used to own it and race it. He lived in Barnegat NJ I think? Look familiar to anyone? I wound up busting the rear sponson on the left side and sinking it on a beach on the Mullica River. I was 17 at the time. It was cool it had square holes in each side of the cockpit apparently releive air and prevent blowover....

Hooty
11-06-2002, 01:42 PM
I worked at Glastron from '64 til '67. Jerry Wilhoit and I rigged and ran the first Molinari Galstron had. It was a wooden boat built in Germany. I kept it at my house for a year because Hammond and them had it stored outside. We begged Hammond to build a fiberglass one and let us take to Havasu but he said "no". Said the Switzer Wings would blow us off the water. A year or so after I left, Hammond damn near killed hizself at 100+ in one. That's why they would only sell 'um to people with "racing experience".

c/6

Hooty

Raceman
11-06-2002, 01:50 PM
Sands, that's a really neat boat. My only question is, why on earth would he add extra setback??????? All those old tunnels of that era had tons of lift in the tunnel (big built in angle of attack) combined with a rocker design on the bottom of the sponsons, and were a blowover waiting to happen stock. I hope he'll be super careful with it.

motexas
11-08-2002, 06:01 PM
My dad bought a Molinari/ Glastron from the factory in Austin with the serial number of #12, back in 1970 (?). This one was rigged with a V drive and a partially built big block which he finish building in his shop back home. There were only two built this way that we know of.

The other one was bought by a friend of his with the serial # of 11. When #11 was bought he attached an adjustable wing in front to help with downward force, because at 100 mph there had to be no wind or my dad said the boats would blow over. This boat as far as we know is still sitting in the bottom of one of the lakes in San Antonio. The boat blew over at a 100 mph pass and the only thing that they figured was that the cables on the wing broke and caused it to go airborn. My dad lost a good friend.

My dad kept his for a while and sold it to a guy in El Paso TX, do not know where it ended up at. My dad and uncle have a bunch of pictures, when I get down to visit I will get some copies and post them.

Hooty
11-08-2002, 06:22 PM
That's interesting,motex. I had no idea they built any inboard Molinaris, but like I said, I left before that. I'll bet they did honk! Yep, they would kite. Hammond, the guy I refered to earlier who blew over was the president of Glastron at the time. What lenght were they? Single seat? I'd like to see the pixs. Post 'um.

c/6

Hooty

motexas
11-08-2002, 09:28 PM
Hooty, the boat was 21', single seat, pretty much like the twin outboard pictured here. My dad's boat was yellow and black like this one, but no race number, just the circle where the number went. My dad said he bought the boat from Hammond and also met Reggie Fountain for the first time there. I will post the pictures when I get them. I remember the boat, but mostly because if the pictures, Because I was so young, I do not remeber the runs my dad made, but talking to him and my uncle they said it was a blast.

MOTEXAS

Hooty
11-09-2002, 08:12 PM
At those speeds in that boat, I'll bet it was a blast. I guess Hammond's still alive. He and a bunch of the old Glastron people had a get together this last summer but I'm sorta persona non grata with most of them so I passed on the invite.
I'm really looking forward to seeing your pictures when you get 'um.
I've got a '79 Speedliner with a 200hp 'rude I piddle around with now. It's not the fastest but for an ole fart like me, it's fast enough.

c/6

Hooty

Outboards Unlimited
11-11-2002, 11:51 AM
The yellow and black molonari at the top of the screen has the set back so that the trim can be used more acuratly. The weight might Appear to be very far back, but you CAN NOT see where we mounted the fuel cell, and battery. Oh by the way , I am the molonari guys son. Any way, we do have a little too much set back to suit us, so we are gonna cut some off. The boat will certainally FLY though. It carrys REALLY high and runs about 69- 70 mph at 3200ft elev. We have only tried the brass 26's in the pic.

Outboards Forever!!

motexas
11-20-2002, 09:40 AM
Hey Hooty here are a couple of pictures of my dad's boat. When I talked to my dad he said his was serial number 12 which I said before, but he said the other made with the V-drive was either 11 or 13, which according to him is till on the bottom of Braunig Lake south of SA TX

motexas
11-20-2002, 09:41 AM
And one more Picture

Powercat
11-20-2002, 07:38 PM
Were these rigged with the Holmon/Moody 427 Ford motors? Seems like I remember that was where they got the engine assemblies from.
Danny Leger

Outboards Unlimited
11-20-2002, 07:51 PM
I heard that a guy around austin had a 427 v drive set up in our molinari before we bought it. I dont think it was like that from the factory though. We of course took his aluminum mounting brackets out and glassed up the holes, built a transom for the twins to live on.

Jeff Lytle
11-20-2002, 08:03 PM
Then Da Wife, Da Mortgage, and den Da Kids !! One Day........

motexas
11-20-2002, 08:51 PM
The best i remeber dad saying both boats had 427's. When he got his the motor was not assymebeld, so he finished building it and stuffing it inside of the boat at home in Seguin, TX.

Hooty
11-20-2002, 09:16 PM
Seein'as how the engine wasn't assembled I don't know who's it was, but I wouldn't be supprised if it was a Holmon-Moody. Hammond was real tight with those guys. They supplied Glastron with a overhead cam 428 once but it had too many bugs so we sent it back.

That really is a tough lookin' boat. Don't you know it was a full-time job driving it? No diddly-jackin' around with the stereo I'll bet.

c/6

Hooty