PDA

View Full Version : 1997 25 HP Evinrude

chris
04-23-2001, 08:30 AM
Got my Bay skiff out this past weekend for the first time since September. It ran fine from the boat ramp to my pier (approx 1 miles) and then upon idling up to the pier the heat alarm went off. I allowed it to cool down an then ran it up and down the river for about 5 minutes at 1/2 to full throttle, no alarm and then while idleing back up to the pier, alarm is sounding again. Put it back on the trailer.
Now I suspect I need a new water pump impeller? Is this correct diagnosis in that the flow volume is too low at low RPM.

Ideas on procedure for replacement? Going to try to buy a manual tomorrow.

Thanks

chris
04-25-2001, 08:15 AM
Called local shop and they suspect the thermostat and a water pump replacement as they are only good for 4 years Max which I have now reached. The thermostat replacement is rather involved so I'll be taking it to them for that and might as well have them do the water pump as well.....Damn I thought I was all ready for fishing and skiing this year and look what happened in two weeks.....both my boats are on the blink!

Whatever happened to the days when a Johnson/Evinrude would run year after year with no more maintenance than plugs and new lower unit gear oil???

Bill Gohr
04-25-2001, 08:58 AM
Impeller would be the most common cause of this. Those engines had problems with the water deflectors in the block. That would cause an overheat also. If you neded either one of these it would not work and then work later as you stated.

chris
04-25-2001, 09:30 AM
This water deflector is a maintainence item or a design flaw? The motor has always run properly until now. In other words should I have the water deflector replaced as well?

Starting to think 4 years is all a Johnson/Evinrude is good for in our NWO, progress saturated world of today for a guy like me that needs dependable outboards.

Thanks for you input.

Bill Gohr
04-29-2001, 09:34 AM
They are rubber dams in your colling system. Sometimes they get moved or if you overheat the engine they can melt.....