PDA

View Full Version : Electric jack plate actuator

Mr. Demeanor
12-14-2010, 06:03 PM
I have been working on a design to convert my manual jackplate (which has almost zero setback) to an electric one. I need to keep it as light and simple as possible with as little setback as possible. I am thinking about using a single Lenco trim tab actuator for the lifting mechanism. The engine weighs about 300-325lbs and the actuator is rated at 750lbs.
The actuator will be mounted in the center under the engine with the bottom through bolted through the transom and top attached to the engine via a bracket. I will have to fabricate some beefier brackets for the ends of the actuator.
Just curious if anyone has built anything like this or what you guys think of the idea?

Bruster
12-14-2010, 06:32 PM
I like the idea, but I think the Lenco stuff is way undersized for this application. How about a Mercury trim & tilt unit like they used on the 2000ish 50 HP mercs?

Mr. Demeanor
12-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Too heavy. When you think about the beating a trim tab takes I think it would be fine. I found a company making electric jackplates for 2/3 cylinder motors and I can see in the pics the actuator is a Lenco. Even if I had to go with two Lenco actuators it would still be lighter and a more simple design than electric hydraulic. I still need to call Lenco and get some info.

Bruster
12-15-2010, 08:47 AM
One Lenco may be 4 lbs lighter, 2 Lencos will probably weigh the close to the Merc P/T unit. By the time you figure out how to make mounting brackets the simpler is no longer an argument. You'll probably want to buy 2 sets when you order these so you have the needed spares real handy. Just because someone else uses the plastic Lenco dosen't mean it's a good choice. Something else to think about when you think of using 2 Lencos is they are 100% mechanical and if 1 gets ahead of the other (and it will) it will work against the other cylinder, further complicating that simple solution.

rustnrot
12-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Who is the company that makes the 2/3 cyl lifts?

Mr. Demeanor
12-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Who is the company that makes the 2/3 cyl lifts?

http://tsgcustom.com/Electric.aspx

XstreamVking
12-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Jesus, that one gheenoe had 5 lenco rams on it.... Lenco must be jumping for joy and counting their money, at the sight of that rig.... Too much crap on a little boat. Slow little boats, ok... Demeanor, at the speeds your boat goes, I wouldn't trust the lenco rams. If it failed, what would happen at 80 mph? You really need to use something else. The lencos are just balls in a track. jmo...

rustnrot
12-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Mr. D, I trust you found this page with links to some fab photos. I notice he does use two lencos. I think I might only use it to determine where the motor should be while running then bolt the side bolts tight.

http://www.tom.research.ucf.edu/pic/Jack%20Plate%2050%20Hp/

PS, what jack plate do you have now?

Mr. Demeanor
12-15-2010, 08:15 PM
I spoke with the guy who builds those jackplates today and he felt one actuator would be pushing it but two would do. I am still exploring options here. This isnt something I am doing until late winter. If I have to go with two then one hydrualic ram with the pump mounted in the boat to offset the weight is probably a better idea. I have worked a lot at getting weight off the transom with this boat and the boat responds well.

The jackplate I have now is a old (but bought new in the box about 6 months ago) TH-Marine that has very little setback. My plan iis to modify it with guides/bushings where the bolts are.

Mr. Demeanor
12-15-2010, 09:30 PM
So what are my options for a small ram (like an I/O trim ram or two) with a remote pump as small and light as possible? One similar jackplate I saw that got me going on this had two i/o style rams and an onboard pump.

Mr. Demeanor
12-15-2010, 09:30 PM
So what are my options for a small ram (like an I/O trim ram or two) with a remote pump as small and light as possible? One similar jackplate I saw that got me going on this had two i/o style rams and an onboard pump.
I only I need a few inches of lift at the most. Two inches would be huge on my boat...even an inch would do the trick.
This looks like a smalll remote mountable pump but at 900lbs of lifting force still seems like overkill.
http://www.apimarine.com/api_catalog_2008/page32-33.pdf

XstreamVking
12-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Cnc jackplates have a all in one ram and pump setup on their plates. Google cnc jackplates for photos, looks promising for a light system, would be strong enuf and prob could re-fit to yours....

Bruster
12-16-2010, 09:56 AM
I have a really short travel double acting trim ram off of a late model Merc S300/F1 12" mid. It is compact, has about 2" of travel, great mounting, super heavy duty and weighs 3 lbs. I also have a couple of Merc pumps with solenoids and mounting brackets. All you would need to fab are the mounts to attach the ram to your Jack Plate and have the correct hoses made and some control wiring.

I only I need a few inches of lift at the most. Two inches would be huge on my boat...even an inch would do the trick.
This looks like a smalll remote mountable pump but at 900lbs of lifting force still seems like overkill.
http://www.apimarine.com/api_catalog_2008/page32-33.pdf

rustnrot
12-16-2010, 10:45 AM
The goal here appears to be a power lift that has very, very little setback and since no commercial one is available, to make one's own, correct?

Also, what is the number of the TH Marine "nil" setback plate you have? I looked -- doesn't seem like they make it anymore.

Mr. Demeanor
12-16-2010, 02:38 PM
The goal here appears to be a power lift that has very, very little setback and since no commercial one is available, to make one's own, correct?

Also, what is the number of the TH Marine "nil" setback plate you have? I looked -- doesn't seem like they make it anymore.

They have not made it for about 15 years. I was talking to one of thier techs about 6 months ago about bulling one and he remebered he had a brand new one, still in the unopened box, sitting in his garage. I bought it! I have had quite a few people ask about mine and offer to buy it. SOMEONE SHOULD BUILD ONE!!!!!!!! And if EONE would build one, build so it cn be made hydrualic by just adding a ram/pump. I think that would be a slam dunk.

Bruster, I will get with you about your parts. Thats sounds like a winner.