PDA

View Full Version : Prop scratches

Robertrosen
12-10-2010, 08:15 PM
I did a search for removing scratches on props but did'nt find anything. I have some scratches on a prop that I just bought, almost looks like someone took sandpaper and lightly scuffed the outer 1/3 of each blade. Is there a way to remove or lessen the about of scratches? It's a tempest Plus

200VEGAS
12-10-2010, 08:27 PM
maybe that is better. maybe it throws back the water better ive seen worked propps on here done like that. i think they where choppers

staylor
12-12-2010, 12:32 PM
If it's dull finish/scuffed on the high pressure side of the blade only then it was probably reworked that way. I have a Tempest Plus reworked by Rich Boger that has a dull strip on the high pressure sides about 1 inch in width. This was something Rich did while finishing up the cups and is probably to be there to make the prop bite better. It appears to work well on my Tempest, since it was losing it's bite in rough water and after rework runs much better. It is possible to re-polish this, but if you round off the very sharp edge on the high pressure side of the cup then you'll probably notice some extra slippage at high speed and on turns. Many competition props have a very dull, even rough finish which is said to add a bit of extra holding power in turns. If the prop really looks bad then you should consider having it refinished at a prop shop who specializes in high performance props. It is possible to do the rework yourself, but without the proper specialty belt sanders and polishing equipment it will take a long time to duplicate what a prop shop can do pretty easily.
Doug

Robertrosen
12-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Ok thanks for the tips, I might just send it out.