PDA

View Full Version : running a boat shop

wierdkid
11-03-2002, 11:17 PM
I have to do this project for my economics class where i have to find all the costs for running a business of my choice. being the boatnut i am i decided to do a marine performance shop on the order of something like sharkeymarine. so the question is: what kind of stuff would i need to run a shop where i would be tweaking marine engines of all sorts, rigging, and doing fiberglass work? also, what are the going rates for common jobs like engine rebuilds, hanging engines, rigging, and the like?

if anyone could give me the information it would be greatly appreciated.

eautosales
11-04-2002, 12:55 AM
try rick racer i bet he would help

but most repair shops rates are provided by a flat rate manual.
example ya look up what needs to be changed like for instance a starter ya find the times it should take out of the book & multiply by the hourly rate & that is the cost of the labor & most parts are sold at manufacture list. i run a auto repair shop & thats the basic way to operate, if ya need any help i will try xsvector@aol.com
;) good luck

LaserModVee
11-04-2002, 07:35 AM
Try BK, racer, dan agnew, Jay Smith, or US1

wierdkid
11-04-2002, 09:15 PM
for the help. i'll try yo get in touch with those guys

BathTubBabe
11-06-2002, 04:05 PM
Hey, Good Project.

Here is a couple of things to keep in mind when doing cost for your shop. I am sure you know most of this but I did a similar project when I was in collage so I couldn't help putting in my two cents worth. I hope you don't mind. A shop always has a running tool bill or charge line going. If your just starting then you will be purchasing tools or equipment weekly till you get most of what you need. This could run into thousands of dollars. It might not be as much with marine engines but in the auto business it is a constant expence if you do repairs on engines, figure on a monthly tools bill. In actually if your opening a business then chances are you have been collecting tools, so you would probably have most of the basics but will still be buying tools here and there as you run across something you need but don't have. If your planning on having an inventory then that could be a very high expence because they are 1000s and 1000s of parts. The best way to do that I would think is to decide on an amount of inventory you want to keep in stock and then if need be you can break it down to the types (gaskets, pistons, and so on). You would also have a parts bill or several because not anyone place carrys everything you need. Most of these accounts would be cash based or you would write checks for parts on a daily, weekly, monthly or even per delv, it depends on how each supplier wants to set you up. Being a new business they probably won't set your business up for credit lines at frist or you will have to purchase a certain amount till they see how relibable you are and how much volume you do.

Ok, I am stopping :eek: This has turned into a large post. I didn't realise it would till just now. If you need any help feel free to email me.