PDA

View Full Version : Need more stern lift

Maritime_Eng
11-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Still paying with props on my 22 Center Console and need more stern lift. I have a 24 pitch stock Bravo One that works well but runs a little nose high. What style prop would give me the best stern lift?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

specboatops
11-29-2010, 12:34 PM
I would think A Trophy would give you plenty of lift all around.....just my 2 cents worth.

Chris

baddjonny
11-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Try a plain 4 blade merc alum prop about $135 plus hub kit great stern lift little to no vibration or steering torque the blades have a ton of rake and you have to run a flat or offset trim tab on my friends old 23 foot thunderbird it was a amazing no more bow up then plain off now stern lifts with bow and it's a straight up and go 4 blade also cruses better (lower rpm) same speed.

my 2
jon b

Mr. Demeanor
11-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Don,
The biggest stern lifters you will find are the Mercury Revolution 4's. I have a 21 and a 23 pitch Rev4 for sale. Both are like brand new. The 23 would probably work very well if your RPM is right with the Bravo. Rev4's are very big wheels and almost cleaver like in their stern lift. Very popular center console propellers as well.
Give me a call at 941-375-1369 and lets see what we can figure out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/MrDemeanor/Props%20for%20sale/23rev42.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/MrDemeanor/Props%20for%20sale/23rev41.jpg

Mr. Demeanor
11-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Don,
Looks like both props are sold (go figure) but give me a call anyway. I have access to a lot of props you can try and we can probably get you a Rev4.

Maritime_Eng
11-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Don,
Looks like both props are sold (go figure) but give me a call anyway. I have access to a lot of props you can try and we can probably get you a Rev4.

Figures, just got back from the gym. Just curious what are you asking for them? I think a 23 would be an interesting prop to try.

Mr. Demeanor
11-29-2010, 10:03 PM
I usually get about $400 for a REV4 in great shape like that one. I am very good friends with Ken Reeves who owns www.Propgods.com He has a testing program and I can probably get you something to run for the cost of shipping it. Give me a call tomorrow.

Maritime_Eng
11-30-2010, 10:17 AM
I usually get about $400 for a REV4 in great shape like that one. I am very good friends with Ken Reeves who owns www.Propgods.com He has a testing program and I can probably get you something to run for the cost of shipping it. Give me a call tomorrow.

Thanks for the offer but I think I found a few props locally that I can test! Hopefully will be able to test them within the week! Thanks for all the help.

Mr. Demeanor
11-30-2010, 07:21 PM
I was talking to Ken today and we spoke about your request for stern lifting props. Basically he said the Bravo is the best stern lifter with the Rev4 being right there. One may performa better than the other on any given application. A 23 Rev4 should pull the same W/O rpm as a 24 Bravo or very close.
Is the boat porpoising (many CC's seem to porpoise alot) ?

fast fun 2
11-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Not trying to start anything...but REV 4s give me tons of bowlift, and it even says lots of bowlift on the box they come in. Acceloration, low slip and bow lift. I think a cleaver may be best for you Maritime

Maritime_Eng
11-30-2010, 10:10 PM
I was talking to Ken today and we spoke about your request for stern lifting props. Basically he said the Bravo is the best stern lifter with the Rev4 being right there. One may performa better than the other on any given application. A 23 Rev4 should pull the same W/O rpm as a 24 Bravo or very close.
Is the boat porpoising (many CC's seem to porpoise alot) ?

Our Diesel test boat seems to run a little bow high and if we running full throttle the boat begins to porpose a little. Our engine is a little big for the boat and I was hoping that I could find a prop with more stern lift than the bravo. Here are a few videos of the boat running.
http://www.megoutboard.com/video.php

As of right now the boat does not have trim tabs or any other handling improvement devices and dont want to install them if I don't have too.

I am going to try a Hydromotive Q4 in the next week or so and then a Rev 4 and see if there are any improvements.

Mr. Demeanor
11-30-2010, 11:37 PM
Not trying to start anything...but REV 4s give me tons of bowlift, and it even says lots of bowlift on the box they come in. Acceloration, low slip and bow lift. I think a cleaver may be best for you Maritime

I just happen to have a Rev4 box in my hands and what it actually says is "Brings power, top speed and lift with incredible traction and acceleration." It says lift, not bow lift.

Heres my take on it. The Rev4 is a stern lifter and a bow lifter. It seems to carry the whole boat higher IMO. I think the "incredible traction" allows you to trim this stern lifting prop out higher resulting in increased bow lift. This shouldnt be confused with a prop providing natural stern lift IMO.
I have acualy pics of my cav plate running at the same trim angle and speed with different props and you can see the Rev4 carrying the stern higher.

Maritime, my Fountain porpoises. It runs VERY bow high. Contrary to what you would think, it porpoises less with a neutral or slightly bow lifting prop. I think it stops the prop form fighting the natural bow lift of the hull. You just dont know until you try. Ken is also a Hydromotive dealer. I run a Hydromotive Quad IV-X on my Fountain. I tried the Quad IV and it hated it. The Quad IV acts very big for its pitch IMO at least on my boat it did.

baja200merk
11-30-2010, 11:46 PM
I would trade my 25 trophy for that bravo tomorrow. I can ship you the trophy if you like it send back the bravo if you dont like it just cover shipping :thumbsup: