PDA

View Full Version : Doing my L/U, paint prep..Acetone/MEK ?..

Robby321
11-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Hear a lot of Acetone, but hear little MEK..(Methyl Ethyl Ketone)....Acetone is a fast dry, MEK, is a slower "evap"..does the same job. but for sure, do well ventilated, or a cartridge mask! Or the "buzz, ya never saw coming!":eek:..makes ya stupid!:thumbsup:

Gorilla0178
11-27-2010, 11:32 AM
I always use acetone, it cleans really well. What other prep are you doing? Acid wash, prime, ect?

Robby321
11-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Still sanding it down, ways to go, plenty time. Theres some good threads here on prep and paint. Still haven't made up my mind..

afr
11-27-2010, 04:02 PM
robby the best way i found was to take a torch and heat it up first you will see the water evaperate right out of the bare aluminum then zink it prime it and top cote it
thats the old school way we done it @ the prop shop
good luck bro
call me if you need to

Robby321
11-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Yep, also when using MEK, it needs air dry time, then heat/sweat out.

Man I tell ya, had my share of problems, paint/props,legs and saltwater. Never was much of a painter either! On the big boat, VP OD, Alum white prop, did the Tri Lux, prime an A/F paint. Did the prop/leg. Sat in the salt 12 weeks, and it popped out/pitted like a SOB. Leg ok. Sand blasted prop back to alum, yellow zink prime, rattled Dupicolor 500 °ceramic on that. Much better, some places all popped off, back to alum. Touch up, the hell with it. And on the Merc leg, I'm not going all down to alum. Too much work, nooks and cranny thing. Just get her smooth..(thing has 7 coats paint on it!) I got some pix out on the shop puter, be out there later, show ya. As the Merc don't sit in the salt, either tilt, hose off, or in and out. Still don't know what I'll do, but as on the other thread I posted, its been covered on paint. I just might try the prime and paint, mentioned there, simple rattle can Rusto "Pro", as I would be able to touch that up easy. Aint looking perfection, just half azzz black. Seems I've had decent luck with simple paints out a can...(probably cause I duno chit on prepping and painting the expensive stuff!!). Post some pix later today. Heres link, the other thread..

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?225474-Need-advise-for-durable-L-U-paint..(wiped-out-at-speed)&highlight=

Damn, that not the one I wanted, but that has the pix I mentioned. Let me find the other thread I was thinking..(here it is, Post #9)

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?212300-Best-Most-Durable-Black-Paint-for-L-U-s

Bies
12-03-2010, 10:50 AM
I love MEK, but I have found that Acetone and MEK wipe down is good, but always use a degreaser
MEK and Acetone will move oils around, you think it's clean, but it has moved it around and holidays will appear. My .02 cents, I learned the hard way with some expensive 2 part urethane.

Robby321
12-03-2010, 04:09 PM
I love MEK, but I have found that Acetone and MEK wipe down is good, but always use a degreaser
MEK and Acetone will move oils around, you think it's clean, but it has moved it around and holidays will appear. My .02 cents, I learned the hard way with some expensive 2 part urethane.

Yep, I got a quart of PPG "Acryli-clean" DX330 ....Wax/grease remover..