PDA

View Full Version : Hydrulic Steering Tubing

Jho928
11-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Hi All, Down the road a piece I'll be installing Hydraulic Steering in a Vantage.
I also have some .068" 1/2" SS Tube lyeing around. Can I run the tube from the helm to
my splashwell then short hoses to the cylinder. i would figure this is a good way to go to minimize hose flex and also save some coin on buying long hoses. Is the size of the tube good? Whata ya think? Thanks Jim

XstreamVking
11-25-2010, 10:04 AM
I would call the mfg. on this one... I really can not think of any reason why not tho. 1/2" i.d. should flow plenty of fluid....And cut dn. on expansion. I have ran 3/8" copper tube for lo-performance boats, sail boats etc....For Hynautic brand steering. But... I think I have seen where teleflex does not want you to use tubing. But they also sell a lot of kevlar hoses, 1500 psi hi-performance type....

Bruster
11-25-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm thinking it could cost you more to buy 4 short hoses and the fittings you need to connect the hose to the tube than just buy 2 hoses the correct length.
If you have time watch eBay for a deal.
But...
If the tubing is rated for the pressure and the proper tube to hose fittings are used and it was properly supported, it would function fine.

Hi All, Down the road a piece I'll be installing Hydraulic Steering in a Vantage.
I also have some .068" 1/2" SS Tube lyeing around. Can I run the tube from the helm to
my splashwell then short hoses to the cylinder. i would figure this is a good way to go to minimize hose flex and also save some coin on buying long hoses. Is the size of the tube good? Whata ya think? Thanks Jim

xsflight
11-25-2010, 12:34 PM
TELEFLEX told me to use 1/2" tubing for my application. I used a TELEFLEX variable manual pump HH-5275, coupled to a ZEIGER tilt helm with an ISOTTA ZULAG wheel up front. Used the 1/2" copper tubing from the pump to fittings I epoxied into the deck then the 18" conversion hoses to the 6345 cylinder. Did what the manufacturer said. You'l need pipe x 1/2" flare fittings at the pump and bulkhead connections, then conversion fittings to the hoses. I used another set of the supplied cylinder 90* fittings to go from hoses to the deck fittings I had previously installed. It's a sweet method.

Bruster
11-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Hard to believe Teleflex suggested to use copper fittings in a hydraulic application. Apples and acorns.

TELEFLEX told me to use 1/2" tubing for my application. I used a TELEFLEX variable manual pump HH-5275, coupled to a ZEIGER tilt helm with an ISOTTA ZULAG wheel up front. Used the 1/2" copper tubing to fittings I epoxied into the deck then the 18" conversion hoses to the 6345 cylinder. Did what the manufacturer said.

xsflight
11-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Never used copper fittings, used the tubing, hoses and brass fittings TELEFLEX supplied!

Jho928
11-26-2010, 02:44 AM
Thanks for the replies...I would think copper tube would be too soft for hydraulics, but I could be wrong. The tube I have is SS .068" wall thickness, it is like pipe I think it would handle the pressure easily. I could probably make the bends to the helm and only need two short hoses, especially because the deck is off the boat now. I think flareing this tube would be difficult and I wonder if a swagelock type compression fitting could be used? I could run the tube before I put the deck back on. Since I have the tube I thought It could be a option, but It may be easier to run hoses. Jim

Jho928
11-26-2010, 02:44 AM
Thanks for the replies...I would think copper tube would be too soft for hydraulics, but I could be wrong. The tube I have is SS .068" wall thickness, it is like pipe I think it would handle the pressure easily. I could probably make the bends to the helm and only need two short hoses, especially because the deck is off the boat now. I think flareing this tube would be difficult and I wonder if a swagelock type compression fitting could be used? I could run the tube before I put the deck back on. Since I have the tube I thought It could be a option, but It may be easier to run hoses. Jim

xsflight
11-26-2010, 11:09 AM
It is a copper service tubing with 1000# working pressure rating, comes in 25' coils, used all the time in workboats, commercial and multiple helm applications. My pump output is 2.7-5.4 cu in/turn because I wanted close ratio steering in the range of 3 turns lock to lock. Most manual systems are 5-6 turns and will spec hoses.

XstreamVking
11-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Teleflex offers the pro helm 2.0 c.i., a set of kevlar hoses with the bulkhead fittings and alum cover plate and a 6345 cylinder. This is the best set-up that I have seen. Very simple and no slop when bled properly..Mine runs 90 or so and it works great...It is on my boat here..... http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight= (http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?222479-V-King-got-it-runnin-and-looking-good.-Heres-some-pics.&highlight=)

Bruster
11-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Your boat looks great! The steering system installed the way you have it is simple, safe and reliable. Done! Nothing like hydraulic steering.

Teleflex offers the pro helm 2.0 c.i., a set of kevlar hoses with the bulkhead fittings and alum cover plate and a 6345 cylinder. This is the best set-up that I have seen. Very simple and no slop when bled properly..Mine runs 90 or so and it works great...It is on my boat here..... http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight= (http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?222479-V-King-got-it-runnin-and-looking-good.-Heres-some-pics.&highlight=)

XstreamVking
11-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks Bruster, It took a long time and a lot of work to get it where it is.... Be contacting you soon for some solid mts. Put a 3 liter EFI on it to see how the boat likes it. It works good... But it needs a re-build and re-paint with a set of your cool mounts installed to look as good as the boat...