PDA

View Full Version : You Guys make me SICK !!!

Jeff Lytle
10-31-2002, 10:35 PM
Who knew all those years ago, that Powerboat Magazine would go strictly pleasure testing--Offshore--and Unlimited.
I tossed out stacks of those old Magazines when I moved out of my Parents home in the mid eighties!!! I started my subscription in the early 70's, back then, it was Inboard, Unlimited, PRO, Some Stock/ Mod, Marathon Ski, and a hint of Offshore. Every months issue was a KEEPER !!!
Strange since the puplisher at the time, Bob Norskog was an Offshore racer. Seems he knew that variety was the spice of life.

Any other PRO racers out there ??? Or is it just little ol' me?

Sure great to see some of the older pics again.

BK
11-05-2002, 06:44 PM
Actually, Bob Nordskog raced several types of boats. He ran the Havasu Classic and Parker Enduro's several times in both Outboard and Inboard Tunnel versions. His grandsons were racing kneel-down hydro's with us in the 70's.

Here's a picture of Bob driving a Diesel Tunnel in the Parker Enduro to some new world records:

Jay R.
11-05-2002, 07:04 PM
It would be nice to see more outboards in HOTBOAT. i would subscribe to a mag if any of them would regularly feature outboards. you see them in hotboat, but the main stuff is ALLWAYS about offshore and big block inboards. toses are cool, but what about us outboarders???:mad:

BK
11-05-2002, 07:42 PM
I've been writing outboard articles in Hot Boat for 5 years now. I did it because I too, was saddened by the lack of outboard coverage in the mid-90's. Starting with 98, the articles got bigger and more frequent. In tne year (1999, I think) they had outboard racing articles appearing in 10 of the 11 issues!! I thought that was absolutely wonderful -- but during all that time, I didn't get much feedback from outboard fans, so I felt "Nobody cares, so what's the use?". I have not written much over the past year, except for the Rumble article.

I've always been happy with magazines that cover outboard stuff - even if it was just 10%. I know Hi Perf marine mags need a broad base to keep in business. In these times, the marine industry is top heavy with Offshore style boats. We have to share what publications we have, otherwise they'll just go defunct.

But I guess some people won't be happy until there is an "All-Outboard Only" magazine. But I really don't ever see that happening. Tournament Fishing, Yes. But the strict outboard go-fast market is just not that big.

Jay R.
11-05-2002, 11:30 PM
You wrote the Rumble article in the latest Hotboat? thats the reason i bought the new issue.
I don't need an all outboard mag, but i go so often and only find one riders ride or something with an outboard and i get really disapointed. don't get me wrong they have some good stuff when the do outboard issues, but how often is that. I would just like it a little more well rounded. hey while im bringing it up. is Outdoor Channel gonna broadcast Jasper? i heard the sposered it or something.

Raceman
11-06-2002, 08:04 AM
Jay, just so you'll know, BK is Val Collins, ex boat racer and free lance marine journalist extrodinare'. She's also written Prop Tour and other various articles in the past, which I've always thought were exceptional. Her husband was the former owner of Mirage Boats before it was sold, and was responsible for most, if not all of the currrent designs. Her father in law has been active in boat racing since before I got interested in the early 70's and has recently started playing on Scream and Fly also. She's knee deep in outboard experience.......naw, make that up to her ears.