PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove enamel paint from fiberglass?

bakerfreak
11-01-2010, 12:53 PM
I am wondering how to get the painted registration numbers off my hull without damaging the fiberglass.

I just bought the boat and I'm registering it in a different state. The numbers were painted on from the beginning, and are really nice, but I cant think of any way to paint over them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

DanielC
11-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Any of these methods may damage the gelcoat. You have been warned. Wear nitrile gloves, and do this in a well ventalated area, and wearing a respirator.

First, I would try acetone. If that does not work, next attempt.
Try a Lacquer thinner, bought from an automitive paint store. not the "Big Box" home improvement warehouse.
Still no luck, Try carburetor cleaner. This stuff may attack the gelcoat.

If nothing has worked so far, your last resort is mechanical means. A very sharp razor blade. If you break (grind off slightly, on a whetstone) the corners of the razor blade, you can avoid the sides of the razor blade digging into the gelcoat. You may have to clean up any paint left with sandpaper, very fine grits. You may need to buff and polish the area, also. When you get the old numbers off, there will be a shadow in the gelcoat, from the exposed gelcoat fading, and the gelcoat that was under the numbers being protected.

Bruster
11-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Likely they are painted on with sign paint. Nothing high tec. There are some mild paint removers that won't harm the gel coat or fiberglass. Get 'em soft with the paint remover and scrape with a single edge industral razor blade. Go easy with the blade and you won't do any damage to the finish. Lastly once 99% of the lettering is off, carefully sand with 2000 grit wet & dry using plenty of fresh water and buff with a good polishing compound until it's perfect. The decal will come off with a heat gun.

rchevelle71
11-01-2010, 02:28 PM
if the boat is gelcoat underneath(not painted), EZ off oven cleaner, but try this in a less conspicuous spot first to make sure it wont harm anything.

yachter55
01-14-2011, 09:19 PM
scuff the letters woth 100 sand paper then use oven cleaner.

boatinwfo
01-25-2011, 07:19 PM
I've had good luck using oven cleaner.

bakerfreak
07-05-2011, 07:59 PM
I was really dreading this job, because I didn't want to damage the fiberglass. Finally, I used some Citristrip paint remover that I had lying around from my car restoration project. The stuff is amazing. I made a plastic scraper out of some clear plastic so I could scrape without damaging the gel coat. On the second coat of Citrisrip, I just rubbed really hard like I was polishing the fiberglass. Here's what it looks like now.

DSIDan
12-04-2011, 10:49 AM
The right way to handle that would have been to call a realtor, sell your home. Quit your Job and pack up the family and move to California. You would have saved what was left of that paint remover. And we have less flying insects. :D

jackk
04-24-2015, 04:57 PM
Any of these methods may damage the gelcoat. You have been warned. Wear nitrile gloves, and do this in a well ventalated area, and wearing a respirator.

First, I would try acetone. If that does not work, next attempt.
Try a Lacquer thinner, bought from an automitive paint store. not the "Big Box" home improvement warehouse.
Still no luck, Try carburetor cleaner. This stuff may attack the gelcoat.

If nothing has worked so far, your last resort is mechanical means. A very sharp razor blade. If you break (grind off slightly, on a whetstone) the corners of the razor blade, you can avoid the sides of the razor blade digging into the gelcoat. You may have to clean up any paint left with sandpaper, very fine grits. You may need to buff and polish the area, also. When you get the old numbers off, there will be a shadow in the gelcoat, from the exposed gelcoat fading, and the gelcoat that was under the numbers being protected.

A late question, Daniel C, though one I hope you can answer: I wanna take the name off, been there since '94 ... though the boat is always stored inside and has been used less than 2 dozen times in the midday sun. You have any tips for removal of the ghost image that's sure to be in the pink gelcoat??? Or can you think of a spot where I can go for the information?

Thank you sir ...