PDA

View Full Version : Please read before posting photos

Jeff_G
10-31-2002, 09:59 AM
I love all the old photos poster on this forum. However some of us are still on dial up connections (Please give me DSL!) any way some of the pictures are way too big to conviently view.
Please when you scan them scan at 72 to 90 dpi. Anything else is just lost on the internet. Optimize your scans after and try to keep them under 75 kb in size. Free optimizing programs are around on the web do a google search.

This will let us load quickly and enjoy the forum more. Thanks, Jeff

Mark75H
10-31-2002, 05:43 PM
Since we originally had a 105K or 110k or so limit here, I tend to keep my images in that size range. I know there are some other forums with 75k limits, but this is what happened........fewer people posted anything...

Something you can do on dial-up......go to your "user cp" that's your control panel (look for the blue buttons on the top of the page). There you can change the cookie you receive when you log in to only give you links when you look at a thread rather than all the images slowly downloading each time you open a thread. That way you choose which images to see and the speed you can view the text and choices of images in each post and thread.

pyro
10-31-2002, 07:32 PM
Yes, I agree. I've been meaning to post the same thing for a while now. If you're using a digital camera, set it to 640 X 480 mode. There is NO reason to ever have to post them bigger than that. If you need more detail, zoom in where the detail is needed.
If your camera shoots them bigger than that, re-size them to 640X480 and add some compression with a decent photo program (not MGI, it generates huge jpg filesizes)

Thanks everyone.

AQUAholic
10-31-2002, 08:40 PM
Too many large file size photos, takes too long to load.

Everything I shoot and post is 640x480 or smaller and they come out just fine.

The higher resolution or pixel settings just make the photo larger, not clearer.

I'm sure the threads would load much faster if everyone did this.

LakeRacer99
11-01-2002, 09:42 AM
I wish we could post the large photos and S&F would automatically format the size, but then allow you to click the photo and it will open a page with the original size. Dosen't the gallery do something like that?
Personally, I like the larger photos, I surf with a 21" monitor and very high resolution, so the small photos suck for me.
Jason

brianT2
11-01-2002, 12:34 PM
i have been using MGI on my photos, are they too large? what kind of numbers should i be looking for to better display them if they are too large? may seem dumb questions but i'm pretty much computer illiterate. i don't even have a HUNTING LICENSE to hunt and peck.:D any suggestions would be appreciated i want everyone to enjoy our outboard history. thanks, brianT2

Jeff_G
11-05-2002, 11:21 AM
When you scan your photos on the dpi setting set it for between 72 and 100. Anything bigger and it is lost on the internet. Don't try to print a 72 dpi photo however it will be extremely grainy. On the size reduce it to 640 X 480. After scanning you can reduce the size and optimize it for quicker loading. Optimization is the compressing of the file size by reducing or eliminating redundant or not necessary information. You can get a good program from XAT.com Image Optimizer. They have a free evaluation program although I would get the paid version. A great little program. Let me know if I can help. Jeff