PDA

View Full Version : jackplate questions

bobkyle2
10-21-2010, 04:53 AM
i got a 1984 ebbtide 17'6...Mercury 150

Its getting christmas time and winter... so im thinking about buying myself a jackplate for christmas .. but i dont know really anything about them....

Can you guys help me with what size of jackplate i need.. im going to try to find a cheap used one... or maybe just buy a new one ...
you guys might need more info to help me .. just ask and i will try to answer ...
Any info will be greatly appreciated

daytrader
10-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Isnt your ebtide a bowrider type boat? With a stock 150 I would think 6 to 8" of setback would work. Manual ones are much cheaper then hydraulic. Youll probably need a different prop to depending on what u have now.

cltch
10-21-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm assuming this is multipurpose boat, you will want either a hydraulic or something easily adjustable (Hydrodynamics Rapid Jack comes to mind).

bobkyle2
10-21-2010, 11:27 PM
yes its a fish and ski... its got a 21p yamama prop..(large diameter)...i mostly fish out of it... but i run the crap out of it too... i have a different prob if i pull a skier or tube...

bobkyle2
10-22-2010, 12:09 AM
like to add......im pretty sure the 150 is stock

bobkyle2
10-22-2010, 12:09 AM
like to add......im pretty sure the 150 is stock

wkndracer
10-22-2010, 08:37 AM
If funds aren't too tight go hydraulic for the adjustments to be painless when your loading / running conditions changes you just push the button:thumbsup:

I've got a Cook's hydraulic unit and I'm thrilled with it.

stokernick
10-24-2010, 08:20 AM
IMHO if you're just going to set it/forget it,get a manual jackplate,but for varied uses,ie skiing,tubing,blasting,hydraulic will eliminate the PITA of adjusting/readjusting!Just saying!!

FlatSleek
10-24-2010, 07:47 PM
IMHO if you're just going to set it/forget it,get a manual jackplate,but for varied uses,ie skiing,tubing,blasting,hydraulic will eliminate the PITA of adjusting/readjusting!Just saying!!

:iagree:Hydraulic or electric is the way to go on a multi use boat, I've had very good luck with Bobs Machine shop jackplates over the years and they have Excellent service also:thumbsup:

bobkyle2
10-25-2010, 04:03 AM
yes... thats what im debating right now... i almost ordered a manual one.. but kept thinking about always having to change it... i mostly just fish out of the boat... but i run the balls off it also... i dont think i would have to change me settings for fishing and just running... but prolly would for pulling a tube.... so i am going to think about it .. might just wait and find a nice used hydro one

lilmule
10-25-2010, 10:11 AM
With an hydraulic yes can be changed at the push of a button,however low water pickup or nose cone is almost needed,and constant psi check or poof goes the motor.I run a bobs 10 in hyd,stock gearcase on this motor so resist the urge to push the buttons.Decent hydraulic is about 500 used and up,a manual with quickchange adjustment on top would be a better choice and cost less.
That said i love my hydraulic when shallow off plane can raise it to keep it out of the veggies or when loading the boat.
As one raises the prop it also gains in rpm,with the provision it still is getting enough water,at some time and point a larger prop is in order due to increased rpm.You will have to learn tricks to get skiers up,like off and on gas trim etc,whole different world.

bobkyle2
10-25-2010, 08:22 PM
i had a 21 pitch prop before..but it was a much smaller diameter ... my uncle gave me a Yamaha 21p large diameter to try...and its great compared to the one previous... i don't know the diameters of either one.... but the new one required me to take off the little trim tab/fin .....it will run between 54-58 ...6000rpm... i think i need to play with some different props... because 6k is too high... with my old prop it would spin to like 6300 at 52mph...
when i bought the boat i was thinking it would run about 65..boy i was let down when it ran 52...i about threw my gps out :D...this is basically the slowest boat Ive ever owned......... but by far the cheapest too..ha-ha.... im just trying to stay cheap with it right now i don't want to sink a lot of money in it.. im still debating on what to do with a jack-plate...

my old stratos had a manual jackplate attached to a yamaha 150 and would run around 70mph... i was quite happy with that plate so i might just go for the cheap manual plate..

MechEng
11-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Bobs Machine Shop offers free shipping starting Dec. 1 for the holidays