PDA

View Full Version : prop recondition advice? good shop to do it?

pcrussell50
10-15-2010, 02:01 PM
i've got a couple of stainless props that need a little "help" before i put them into regular service. these are OMC v4-type props.

1] a 21" SST where it _looks_ like the rubber is pulled out a little. only it has full adhesion and is not cracked. it's weird. it's as if someone tried to pull the rubber out the back of the prop, only all the rubber remained stuck, so it's just "bowed" out. i've used it reliably in light duty, recreational boating but it's hard to turn the prop nut down far enough to get a cotter pin in. i reckon a re-hubbing is in order, but i don't want to spend an arm and a leg.

2] a 24" Raker. it looks like an amateur hack tried some "working" on it. it's not shiny anymore, someone hit it with a wire wheel. further, it's very subtle, but i'm not sure it's "true" anymore. my local prop guru is so honest, he doesn't want to work on it because doesn't think my bubblebacks [i have three of them], will turn a 24" on my viper... so he doesn't want to take my money. he's one of those eccentric "genius" types and i don't want to piss him off or tell him he's wrong. all i want is for someone to put it in a jig or die and make it straight... if that is something that can be done. what do you all think? possible?

same guy doesn't want to fix my 21" SST because he doesn't think bow-lifting round ears are the right prop for viper/vector type hulls anyway. once again, i don't want to piss him off or be a know-it-all by telling him to fix them anyway. he is an eccentric, highly regarded guru around here. and he's not some crusty old dude. he looks like 50's tops.

-peter

mod25
10-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Rich Junker ( Leading Edge). I bet he can help.

Euro Muscle
10-15-2010, 06:08 PM
:iagree:Rich is the man.## 941-720-0710 :thumbsup:

jdinny
10-16-2010, 03:16 AM
10-4 on Rich from Leading Edge.