PDA

View Full Version : aired out

brianT2
10-29-2002, 01:11 AM
was a thread before about shots of boats aired out, but i forgot this one! i think its eufala '74, first time dad drove for louis collins. definitely getting the most out of it this day!

brianT2
10-29-2002, 01:17 AM
this is now. dad said i should post this as "an old man in an old boat." thats his '57 feathercraft w/ '51 KG9. still getting the most out of them o/b's.

Doubledog
10-29-2002, 05:15 AM
Your Dad rocks man!

In the first shot,, is that an Allison?

Jeff_G
10-29-2002, 08:56 PM
Brian, which Feathercraft is that? What model? Is your dad Jim Hunt?

brianT2
10-30-2002, 12:38 AM
doubledog- yes that is a allison, 15'-16'.dad drove a few of them in his racing career with a lot of success, including the allison tunnel. i'm trying to weasel some more pictures out of him now.
jeff_g- yes jim is my father. i didn't get the particulars on the feathercraft but i will ask him next time we speak. hopefully i will be posting pictures of my boat very soon. dads putting together the engine now.

Dale
10-30-2002, 09:39 AM
love the pictures.. keep em coming...

looks like a 'long shaft' ? do you know if it was..

was your dad racing APBA

..Dale

Jeff_G
10-30-2002, 09:56 AM
Brian tell your dad I said hi! Jeff Grigg. When I started driving in the mid 70's he had already moved to the bigger classes. One of the true greats that few remember, but if you ever saw him drive!
I was at a race in Lake Alfred about 3 years ago and he had the Feathercraft. I was more interested in the motor than the boat. A year later I "fell" into a feathercraft. I remember he had an external trim bracket on the back.
I would love to contact him about setting up my feathercraft, he can call me 843 844-8739 or e-mail jwgrigg@lowcountry.com
Thanks for the memories!

Dale looks like a xs short shaft running a round ear 2 blade.

brianT2
10-31-2002, 01:19 AM
dale- dad raced APBA as well as NOA. jeff was right on the short shaft, but thats a blue motor pre-xs.
jeff_g- thanks for the kind words about dad, i know he will appreciate them. i will definately pick his brain for you on his feathercraft setup. hopefully i can get him to contact you directly, i'm not nearly as well versed in this stuff...yet.

XSRaveau
11-08-2002, 06:59 AM
skills both past and present, coming! I met him last Dec. when I picked up my new Raveau at his house from Bob Walwork. Had great fun looking at lots of photos and visiting with him and Bob.

Let him know I finally was able to get the XS sorted out, now just waiting for decent water conditions to do some prop testing.

That Feathercraft/KG9 combo is too cool!

Raceman
11-08-2002, 09:02 AM
Brian, when your dad was here several months ago, he had his scrapbook with him with pictures of many of his old raceboats and also certificates of a lot of Kilo and closed course records which he set. It'd be great to post some of that stuff here.

Flat Out
11-08-2002, 09:18 AM
Looks like a Feather Craft Rocket. Cool little boat. Still has its blue anodized sides. Feather Crafts are highly sought after amongst the old motor crowd. Should go good with the old Merc on it.

Flat Out
11-08-2002, 09:32 AM
Looks like a Feather Craft Rocket. Cool little boat. Still has its blue anodized sides. Feather Crafts are highly sought after amongst the old motor crowd. Should go good with the old Merc on it.

Powercat
11-25-2002, 07:40 PM
Finally found this photo of my Dad jump'n a 26ft PowerCat in the
surf at Huntington Beach California for a photo shoot...
Circa' 1961
Danny Leger

2us70
12-10-2002, 03:26 PM
Brian. I stumbled on this message board and am glad to see Jim still active in his sport. Your dad's propeller work and John McCall's boat allowed me to win my one and only national championship (SE in 1970). I have not been able to find a single refrence to John McCall or his boats. I would like to hear from any old McCall drivers out there. http://

Raceman
12-10-2002, 05:08 PM
I guess I qualify in the "old" part. I had 1 McCall in the mid 70's which I bought with the intentions of sticking an old Twister 1 that I had on. The boat was a full tunnel, natural wood color, and was the narrowest of any boat in that size range that I ever saw. It was pickle forked, but had a wing in front connecting the forks. I sold it without ever wetting it. (some things haven't changed in 25 years) It was a cool looking boat, unconventional, but cool.

2us70
12-10-2002, 07:07 PM
That boat sounds typical of an early 70's McCall tunnel. The boat in the picture is a 13'6'' V bottom. It was run in SE& SD classes and it was the last SE class winner with a 44in 50. The picture is from 1975 at Lake Hollingsworth in Lakeland FL. If anyone runs across this hull I would like to know.

Ron Hill
12-12-2002, 12:31 AM
Anyone have any pictures of Joe Burgess when he drove for Big Orange Marine? I would be interested in any history of Big Orange and any Joe Burgess stories...I sure like Joe....

Backfire
12-12-2002, 01:34 AM
I think I posted one awhile back, when I mentioned him. I have a bunch of pictures-just have to find them. He came to Hot Springs about every race we had. He was the man to beat with a little Allison and 55/60/65/70/75. Also ran a Stinger on a bigger Allison.
Too bad we lost him at his best. I'll dig some more.
Backfire ;)

omc-v4
12-12-2002, 08:09 AM
Ron I worked at Laser boats the year Roark drove a 19 ft white V bottom. Joe and a guy named Steve something were driving a Laser too. They came to Ronoke Texas week before the race to rigg their boat. Wow Im working with Joe Burgges and Roark Sumerford getting ready to go to Havasu 81 maybe. Never knew I would be emaling Ron Hill about it. There is more but got to go to work now.

Dale
12-12-2002, 01:11 PM
Ron .. no pictures but lots of stories

I met Joe at my first race(June 1970?) in Clarksville TN
Paul A. introduced us and told me to listen to Joe, he became my mentor/friend and helped me at every race..

at the time 1970/71 we were in NOA 90-100 Stock, Joe had a 15 Allison with a 135(?) Johnson and I had a 1250/1350 Merc, my boat was a tad faster
but he was a 100 times better driver, I would catch him at
the end of the straights and he would pass me in the turn
I joined the AF at the end of 1971 and that was the end of my boating

somewhere I do have some 8mm movies of us at the Nationals

never met a more friendly racer

..Dale

Raceman
12-12-2002, 09:21 PM
The first time I ever ran my Allison at the NOA kilo's in Knoxville, Joe was there with an orange 16' er. That year the unlimited outboard record was a little under 110 if I remember. Joe's boat supposedly ran a hundred and teens, but he blew it over in the traps on the first pass and broke his back. The boat went straight up, looked like about 50'. I think it had an RS Johnson.

I was also told later that it had Paul Allison's secret lip on the back edge of the pad which I wasn't aware of for another year or so.