PDA

View Full Version : Set back??Whe is it too much???

Vinnie
09-22-2010, 09:28 PM
How can you tell when you have too much set back? How will the boat react? How much will it hurt performance?

Thanks guys..

JWTjr.
09-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Hey Vinnie...how you doin?

That's a tough one as every hull, setup and rig will react differently. We have done testing with varying amounts of setback, starting with none, going to 3", then 4" then 5" all the way to 12". Here are two examples: On one hull (a Javelin bass boat with an Evinrude Ficht V6) the hull flattened out and would not lift well, and we lost approximately 2 mph, when we moved from (if I remember) 6" to 8". More than 8" didn't change things, just didn't improve either. On a HydroStream Vandal with a V4 140, a similar result happened when going from 4" to 6" in setback. In this case the rig lost over 3 mph going to 6". Going back to 4" gave back the previous best speeds. Of course we experimented with props and engine height as well at every setback. As you can imagine it's a lot of testing, a lot of fuel, and a lot of seat time.

Tiger

John.Vaught
09-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Why does too much set back slow the boat down? (is it unstable)

Vinnie
09-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Hi John, Been a long time..

I am using about the same setback I have always used on my Bullets. (15 1/2") Hole shot is no problem,,.. This one is an early "lighter" one and seems to be a little less stable. I have my hydraulic jackplate set to "max out" at 2 1/2" over the pad in case I get over zealous with the left foot. lol Could the lighter boat be more stable with a couple inches less setback? Im curious what you "long time" tests have shown..

Thanks

specboatops
09-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Subscribed. I have wondered this very thing myself, along with setback adding wedge in a boat that has a harder time " Flying" properly too. Good Question you asked Vinnie!

Chris

JWTjr.
09-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Vinnie, of course theory would direct that two "identical" (note: nearly impossible, but for comparison's sake...) hulls except one is significantly lighter, the lighter one would need less leverage for lift, and therefore less setback. More setback would indeed negatively affect the overall at-speed stability of this boat. However, that's theory. Practical application requires testing as previously noted...so test. I'd move it in 2" and try again. On Bullets, you know who the setup guru is...give Nichols a call for his input.

Tiger

doug vaughn
10-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Vinnie
what Bullet, what motor, what troller , what fishin load.
Doug

Vinnie
10-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Doug,

Mine is a 92 20XD, 82 lb Motor guide, 280 Merc, light load.. rigged to run.. lol As John knows, I know Paul Nichols well. I am trying to get some different opinions based on other experiences. I am sure there are other boats in the 1000 lb area out there. Moving motors around is NOT an easy task.

My boat goes into storage the end of the month. (after I take off the powerhead).. I will be taking it out for a "farewell" bonzai run prior to that though.. lol