PDA

View Full Version : clear coat

carl h
09-21-2010, 11:06 AM
what kind of clear coat do i need to do my boat i cleared it with omni i got from a body shop they said it would work stayed on about a month or so now starting to bubble up

rchevelle71
09-21-2010, 11:46 AM
what kind of clear coat do i need to do my boat i cleared it with omni i got from a body shop they said it would work stayed on about a month or so now starting to bubble up

Omni should have worked, maybe it wasnt prepped correctly. I use PPG Concept.

Bruster
09-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Omni is an economy line of PPG acrylic urethanes and it is extremely durable. Concept is at the premium end of the PPG paint line, and it too is extremely durable. Both are great paints when used according to instructions. Concept is probably a little more forgiving, but that comes at a price.

Omni should have worked, maybe it wasnt prepped correctly. I use PPG Concept.

rchevelle71
09-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Omni is an economy line of PPG acrylic urethanes and it is extremely durable. Concept is at the premium end of the PPG paint line, and it too is extremely durable. Both are great paints when used according to instructions. Concept is probably a little more forgiving, but that comes at a price.

Agreed, I actually now use a knockoff of concept, Matrix Systems.

83PREDICTOR
09-21-2010, 01:46 PM
I used Napa brand clear coat on my boat four years ago and it still looks great. I did do a lot of sanding and prep work and more and more sanding.

DanielC
09-22-2010, 12:55 AM
I clear coated my 1970 Tahiti with Dupont 780S Centari, with 793S hardener/activator. If you use this stuff, you must wear a respirator.

Bruster
09-23-2010, 08:54 PM
How does Matrix work for you. At 1/4 th the price seems like something has to give. I like how the Concept goes on and how it will buff. The Omni goes on OK but cures glass hard and is more difficult to work on after it is down. I like the price of the Matrix and there is a local dealer but??

Agreed, I actually now use a knockoff of concept, Matrix Systems.

rchevelle71
09-23-2010, 08:58 PM
How does Matrix work for you. At 1/4 th the price seems like something has to give. I like how the Concept goes on and how it will buff. The Omni goes on OK but cures glass hard and is more difficult to work on after it is down. I like the price of the Matrix and there is a local dealer but??

I am not an expert painter, but I can't tell the difference from concept to matrix. It has been on my boat for 4 years now, run hard in saltwater, and little dock scuffs buff right out, give it a try.

Bruster
09-23-2010, 09:05 PM
I'll do that, got a FrankinMerc coming up and I need to make it all one color. Now if they can do the Merc "Phantom" Black, seems like the colors were much more limited than the Concept. Do they have a epoxy primer like the PPG DP? Thanks!

I am not an expert painter, but I can't tell the difference from concept to matrix. It has been on my boat for 4 years now, run hard in saltwater, and little dock scuffs buff right out, give it a try.

Scott in MN
09-23-2010, 09:29 PM
PPG Omni has an epoxy primer similar to DP.....It is MP170 with the MP175 catalyst. Same mix ratio and even smells similar..... may just be DP repackaged and sold cheaper.....

rchevelle71
09-24-2010, 07:40 AM
I'll do that, got a FrankinMerc coming up and I need to make it all one color. Now if they can do the Merc "Phantom" Black, seems like the colors were much more limited than the Concept. Do they have a epoxy primer like the PPG DP? Thanks!

My guy will mix any color you want, Not sure about the primer as I Primarily use it on Fiberglass as a clear over interlux perfection, so I use the interlux epoxy primer.