PDA

View Full Version : BIG EAR vs SMALL EAR CHOPPERS

brussrude
09-19-2010, 06:40 AM
All - I had been wondering when one would select a big ear chopper over a small ear chopper or vice versa.. say for example we are running a 14-1/2"x28" big ear on your rig, if replaced by a 14-1/2"x28" small ear what would be the difference?
Does he big ear has more blade area ? and if so when are you choosing to use more or less blade area? if I'm right blade area effects RPM as well ?
I don't have anyone near me to try this out, if so I would love to do so..
thanks for your feedback.,

Bruss:thumbsup:

jtaj77
09-19-2010, 07:09 AM
I have a 28 small ear that I got off CL and it just doesn't work on my boat. It doesn't have near the bow lift of the large ears and has a ton of slip on my boat. I run the same speed and RPM as I do with my 24 large ear. Both props are in about the same shape, the 28 may actually be better so I know it's not junk. They are just made for different applications.

brussrude
09-19-2010, 08:42 AM
JTAJ77 ,with that said if you have a hull with lots of lift from it's nature/design a big ear would create a bit too much lift? So a small ear would work better in that kind of application ?
I think that prop slip on the small ear is not due to it's design only ??? How about boat and hull design prop condition ?? I might be wrong...???

Bruss

jtaj77
09-19-2010, 09:04 AM
I think they are more for lighter boats with smaller engines. The boat has good slip numbers with the 24 big ear. The only difference in props other than pitch is the 28 is a small ear.

Ted Stryker
09-19-2010, 10:39 AM
The small ears were originally for inline 6 cyl. Mercury's and the smaller rigs that were the norm back then... They do have less bow lift than the big ears, but the only way to know which is best is to try both and see... If it were Me I'd probably buy a nice big ear, and if it didn't work correctly or having more bow lift than needed etc, then the big ear is a wonderful open canvas to have it worked for your particular application...

YELLOWSS
09-19-2010, 04:09 PM
i agree with ted.. i really like the old inline chopper on a alli, but they have a short life. the big ear is a better prop, but doesn't work well with all rigs. they can handle the abuse of the hp we run. you can make anything from a big ear...