PDA

View Full Version : Just ran new boat today - 1st time

Sam Baker
09-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Friends of ours are avid RC Boat Racers in Florida. My Dad wanted to get back into it so our Friends gave him a Zippkits Easy Vee kit and he put it together with a stock Zenoah 260PUM engine. His health has taken a turn for the worse and he was never able to run the boat. So, I have traveled down to Florida to spend this important time with him and to get this boat on the water so he could see it while he's still alive.

Thanks to Mic and Jay Halbrehder for assisting (really Mic did 90% of the rigging after my dad couldn't do it anymore). We dropped it in this morning and it ran. I need to adjust the strut and the tabs and need to replace some of the tubing - wrong material, kept melting off...

But, compared to my old Nitro motor that I used to run, this gas motor is a BREEZE and I love not having to deal with the glow plugs, etc. I'm going to let my Son run this boat - it means everything that his Grampa built it. I'm going to start looking for a cat or something similar to put another gas motor into. I love the Gas tunnels as well. It's been a long time since I raced them, but what a great father/son activity so I'll have a nice project ahead of me.

Here's video from today's shakedown run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaRo7nG4cjI

RLP
09-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Looks good,the gas 260 is the way to go.
So much more fun than the nitro stuff to me.
Look out these boats will hook ya,well ya already know cause ur looking for another.
Like you said great father/son sport...yall are going to have a blast.
Have a sport hydro nice boat just need engine,prop and radio.
Sorry ur dads health is down prayers sent.

afr
09-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Sam cool deal
tell Dad im praying for him and you guys stop by if ya can
scott

JWTjr.
09-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Sam:

It was great talking with you, your Mom and of course Big Ron again...talking boats and engines with Ron is always a treat.

My prayers for you and your family. God bless you.

John

moparbarn
09-23-2010, 04:31 PM
sam, glad you're rediscovering rc boats. be careful, they're VERY addictive.... mic & jay are great folks, i get to race with/against them 2 or 3 times a year at nat'l. events.