PDA

View Full Version : Can this prop slip be right?

MHntw
09-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Finally found a Merc ET to try on my Euro and it feels good, but the prop slip numbers seem a little too good to be true.

Here is what I've got:
95 Euro w/Ski bottom (heavy one, no lightweight)
260 JSRE Lake motor (nothing crazy/told Jay I wanted a RELIABLE mild build)
CLE with Titus mods (1:87)
5" setback on manual jack
Prop shaft 1" up from the pad
28" 3 blade ET
Livorsi GPS speedo with recall
10G Merc tach

Took it out last night on some nice water and showed 109 MPH at 8000 RPM.
Motor was still pulling, but I'm limiting myself to 8 grand.
That's coming out to just 4% slip. Is that possible?
Doesn't sound right to me.

Juggernaut
09-15-2010, 10:10 AM
are you sure its a 28p? if it was a 30p that would put you at 10% slip. 10% sounds a little more accurate. 4% just doesnt sound right.

mach351
09-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Prop couldve been worked, but it is possible. My boat sees 6-7% slip on a regular basis. Pm Shawn torrente if you want to hear some seriously low slip numbers - he's got some custom props that I hear really bite.

transomstand
09-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Props tend to vary a little in pitch, and changes can be made other than pitch to improve bite.

If your happy with the performance, speed, and feel of the prop, I wouldn't get too concerned over slip numbers.

MHntw
09-15-2010, 12:11 PM
I bought the prop used and I'm not sure of the history, so it may well have been tweaked on. I just didn't think that the slip sounded right. The speedo should be accurate since it is a gps unit. The tach could be off, but I think that it would have to off a lot to change the slip to around the 9-10% that I seem to get with the rest of my props.
The one thing that I did that was different with this prop is that I raised the motor about a 1/2" over my normal height. Does a higher height give more bite? I would think that you would get more slip the higher the motor sits. Don't know the answer to that one.

transomstand
09-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Generally, as you go higher slip increases. We all get a lot of props we don't know the history on, and what work has been done.

My thinking has evolved to the point, if it drives good, and runs fast at the right rpm, I'm just not concerned with slip anymore.

MHntw
09-15-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm with ya!
Thanks for all the input everyone.