PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 perf cowl repair

ProComp
10-26-2002, 05:11 PM
Anyone has success using an epoxy to repair cracks in the plastic lightweight 2.5 cowlings? Was thinking about repairing from the inside using a two part expoxy for strength and then just using resin on the outside before using any kind of puddy and primer.

Would fiberglass resin and cloth work on this material or should I stick with the expoxy?

Thanks.

ProComp

vector mike
10-29-2002, 09:59 AM
You don't want to use resin on plastic. It won't hold. You could try some epoxy but the best thing to do is to plastic weld it. I have done this many times on sport bike fairings. Just get a soldering gun with a flat pointy tip and some old plastic and melt it together. Do it on the inside. Then you can use the epoxy for smoothing the outside. :)

ProComp
10-29-2002, 10:17 AM
but wasn't sure these cowlings were the right material for welding. I thought they had to be more rubber like the covers on a car.

If I was to try this, would I grove out the cracks on the backside a little and then drop in some ground up plastic shavings and then use the gun to meld it all together?

Apparently there are some really good two part expoxies that you can use with a twin screw gun that mixing the two agents together as you discharge it. I was going to use this on the back side with a little cloth. What ya think?

Thanks

vector mike
10-29-2002, 10:40 AM
Try the epoxy first and then if it comes apart, weld it. :)

ProComp
10-29-2002, 11:18 AM
I have all winter so there won't be an update for quite some time.

Thanks again.

ProComp

RONNIE
10-30-2002, 06:20 PM
try an auto body supplier. 3m makes products plastic repairs so does Dura mix.(4040 will be the dura mix #)

ProComp
10-30-2002, 06:31 PM
NM