PDA

View Full Version : What the best filler for small holes on gelcoat

bravo 1
08-26-2010, 05:42 PM
what is the best filler for small holes such as screws from buttons and such, also what would be a good last finishing filler after filling in old gauge holes and possibly a hatch hole on the bow? The entire boat will be painted after the work is complete

Thanks

rockman69
09-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Bump for more info! Would like to know.

40hpmariner
09-06-2010, 08:51 PM
what ever you use i STRONGLY suggest 3m fillers there are extremely easy to sand and exteremly easy to work with did my whole boat with that stuff theres nothing that even comes close

XstreamVking
09-07-2010, 05:59 AM
You should put some glass on the backside of the hole, then grind back the edge of the hole to get more area to adhere to. Use a good filler, or even better some glass then filler. The boat was made of glass, just repair it with glass. Filler is just filler and has no strength of it's own... 3m is good stuff..

afr
09-07-2010, 06:37 AM
you should put some glass on the backside of the hole, then grind back the edge of the hole to get more area to adhere to. Use a good filler, or even better some glass then filler. The boat was made of glass, just repair it with glass. Filler is just filler and has no strength of it's own... 3m is good stuff..

ditto !!!

bravo 1
09-07-2010, 05:07 PM
for the bigger holes such as gauge holes and possibly the hatch I will be glassing the backside with a piece of filler board to take up the space. But for the smaller button screw holesw and such you all are recomending the 3m product, os there a particular one that you prefer over the other.

Thanks

keomotorsports
09-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Glass ,Glass,Glass even the smallest holes both sides . Then you never have to worry your filler expanding or contracting and leaving dimples or pimples.. Recently did the cap on a Paramount 85 patches all glassed very time consuming but I no they wont show there ugly little faces ever again.

bravo 1
09-08-2010, 04:18 PM
ok you say glass all holes but how do you glass a hole the diameter of a 1/8" drill bit

XstreamVking
09-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Grind it out to the size of a dime and fill with some matt glass. Glass, Inside and out. Believe me, if you just fill these little holes with a little filler, after you prime and finish it out, there's about an 80% chance that every filled spot that's exposed to the heat of the sun will show up and ruin your hard work. At this point you will swear that you will never use that filler crap again.. Filler expands and contracts different than the glass.

bravo 1
09-09-2010, 06:06 PM
I gotcha now make hole bigger first why didnt you just say that to begin with I am a newby to this LOL

Thanks

Ronny Jetmore
10-05-2010, 09:38 PM
diameter of a 1/8 drill bit, on a light colored boat i have not seen bondo fail, though as extra insurance i use the 3m vinylester too.

southshore30
04-21-2011, 12:44 PM
1/8 in screw holes you can get away with filler but the dish out and fill in w mat is much better. If I was going to use just filler for these small holes I use west system mixed up well then add #407 low density fairing filler powder to the resin to a thick consistency like peanut butter and apply with fairing knife. Epoxy is stronger than polyester fillers but is also prone to shrinking with temperatures. Sort of depends on how many holes you have and where they are. I also use 3M Marine Premium Filler.

stokernick
04-21-2011, 06:50 PM
1/8 in screw holes you can get away with filler but the dish out and fill in w mat is much better. If I was going to use just filler for these small holes I use west system mixed up well then add #407 low density fairing filler powder to the resin to a thick consistency like peanut butter and apply with fairing knife. Epoxy is stronger than polyester fillers but is also prone to shrinking with temperatures. Sort of depends on how many holes you have and where they are. I also use 3M Marine Premium Filler.

IMHO,what he said!! I like West Systems!

bayoufiberglass
07-16-2011, 09:23 PM
There is a much easier way....Glass underside with mat.For larger holes get you some milfibers or talc and mix with resin,fill the hole then put two mats on top.Make sure you grind down to the glass first.For smaller holes and for fairing the larger ones once they are glassed mix some bubbles(micro balloons) with gelcoat(whatever color you have but preferably the closest match to the color of your boat). Then simply fair out and prime for paint.