PDA

View Full Version : Painting boat need some advice

bravo 1
08-19-2010, 11:48 AM
I am going to be be painting my 2800 sxob this fall and was wondering if there would be any problem painting the hull of the boat, problems like the paint coming off the bottom the boat will only be in hte water when I am using it and be stored in a heated and airconditioned shop. any tips or advice for types of paint and primer that you have had the best results with would be great.

Thanks

keomotorsports
08-21-2010, 10:25 AM
I have been painting boats for about fifteen years. Awl grip in my opinion is one of the best when used with there 545 primer. I have never seen it peel. But you must follow the directions light coats not going for full coverage on the first coat or even second waiting 20 min or even a little longer between coats it is very thin when mixed and will run like crazy if you dont follow the directions. There is no wet sanding or clear coating spray it and your done. A nice hard finish difficult to scratch. Dupont also has a new line of paint called NASON. I have been working with a little and like it alot very easy to spray lots of colors but I havent painted a hull with it yet. Check the NASON out to. Good luck :thumbsup:

bravo 1
08-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Keomotorsports, thanks for the reply have you ever heard of people using automotive paints such as PPG and if so what kind of results have you heard of

keomotorsports
08-23-2010, 06:48 PM
yes you can use PPG I would use what ever there recomended primer is for what ever top coat you use. I recently painted a old 28 midnight express with martin seymor auto paint from napa came out great. Since your boat does not spend a whole lot of time in the water that also helps keeping the finish nice. Just remember your prep work is everything.. You can have the best painter in the world spray it if your prep and prime job sucks so will your finish. Take your time.

rchevelle71
08-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Yup,

Auto paint is OK, I prefer to use marine urethane for the base, and auto paint for graphics.

bravo 1
08-24-2010, 12:28 AM
thanks for the replys thus far

PROGRESSIVEAUTO
08-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Wetsand with 600grit or DA with 400grit. Use a good epoxy primer or as mentioned above, the paint will peel. Wetsand again so that the paint has somthing to bite into, paint , clear, wetsand with 1500grit and buff until you see your zipper bulge in the reflection.[havent tried the 545 primer as mentioned above.] Nason has good products, ppg, DuPont chroma systems and more.

RobF
08-24-2010, 07:57 AM
nason is not new, it is a older line of paint.
It is a budget paint meant more for industrial applications, it does not have the durability of the better paints.
It is cheaper and if your boat stays covered or in a garage you may want to save some money on the paint, but in the grand scheme of things your labor is worth alot more then a few hundred saved on paint.

We only use Awlgrip or Alexseal epoxy primers ( sand your gelcoat with 100/120 ) and Dupont marine line of Imron paint and the regular Imron line of paint ( sand with 220/320 )

No paint will hide poor prep so that is the key to your paint not peeling and having good gloss and adhesion retention

bravo 1
08-24-2010, 11:16 AM
thanks to you all
RobF do you have a place that you recomend buying from

RobF
08-24-2010, 11:56 AM
check for local suppliers, I do not believe you can purchase it online easily

it will be nice to get a local contact to get advise from

PROGRESSIVEAUTO
08-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Yep, its DuPonts cheaper line. Ive used Both the Chroma and Nason line. They both work and look good. Chroma Clear is a little glossier but that too depends on your wetsanding/Buff job. Seems like over time the Nason loses a bit of its luster. All depends on your budget or your customers.

keomotorsports
08-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Like I said in my first post Awl Grip when used with the 545 white base primer cant go wrong .. Stay away from the high build unless you need it. This is the kind of question you ask 50 people you will get 50 different answers chose wisely grass hopper..

Ronny Jetmore
10-05-2010, 09:40 PM
not really a paint guy, but a friend of mine has had his own body shop for 30 years, and i think he said that the dupont brand was the only auto paint he know of that was tested for marine use, even though they don't recommend it be used for such.

PROGRESSIVEAUTO
10-05-2010, 10:07 PM
If you take care of your boat as you do your car, Du-Pont works gr8.
If you are doing a turd to leave in the water, go with the cheap enamel type paints such as petit with anti-foul in it.
My Brother and I have been using Du-Pont for years with no issues. Just prep it right, use a good sealer primer and you are good to go.
[Heavy build only if you run into pin-holes or need to do some blending into some body work.]

NEVER TRY THE CLEAR OVER FLAKE IN FADED GELCOAT. It will last long enough to sell a boat, but after a year or two it will peel off rest assured!!

RobF
10-06-2010, 06:01 AM
not really a paint guy, but a friend of mine has had his own body shop for 30 years, and i think he said that the dupont brand was the only auto paint he know of that was tested for marine use, even though they don't recommend it be used for such.

no paint will be approved for below water line use, but DuPont does have a "marine" paint system

http://penumbramarine.com/shop/images/art_penumbra/ShopArtIntro1.jpg

allisonjr
10-06-2010, 07:00 AM
i know house of kolor house a special clear that they use for salt water boats, that stuff is tuff i used it on my last allison

swamppanther
11-15-2010, 10:58 PM
Anyone in the business tried linear polyurethane? like Detco,etc and is it good?