PDA

View Full Version : Javelin R18

Wild Eyed
10-24-2002, 07:32 PM
I've got a 2000 Javelin R18 w/ 150 Johnson, 6" jackplate, 24 pitch Raker.
After a lot help and information from this board I think I've got it set up good. With propshaft 3.25 below the pad I get 63.9 mph (gps) @ 5500 with a full fuel load. (92 degree F, Water Temp 85)Is this about what I should expect?

I've read a couple of reviews about this boat (same setup, motor etc.) where guys are getting 67-68 mph (gps).

Thanks,

Wild Eyed Southern Boy

Michael Martin
10-24-2002, 09:33 PM
Might want to work with the Jack plate some more & try up about another inch. I ran a 99 R19 w/ a 175 ficht & it GPSed @ 66.8 w/ a 25 4 blade balistic. The 24 raker is a good prop I would also try a 26 renagade. Might be a shade bit slower out the hole but should give you 1-2 MPH on top fully loaded. Is yours a ficht or eagle & how many RPMS.

Good luck

Mike

Wild Eyed
10-25-2002, 11:04 AM
2000 Carburated Johnson. (plain Vanilla!) With the 24 Raker I'm turning 5500 Rpm. I've got a 25 Renegade that came with the boat. I went to the Raker cause I wanted a little more speed. (Imagine that!) The Raker is used and came from a prop shop in Nashville Tn.
I've run the jackplate about a 1/2" higher but the boat gets kinda squirrlly!

vector mike
10-25-2002, 11:33 AM
Do you have a low water pickup?

Wild Eyed
10-25-2002, 01:29 PM
No low water pickup, but keeping 20 psi @ speed

Michael Martin
10-25-2002, 09:14 PM
Its getting loose as the boat starts to get up to the back of the pad. Those boats are nose heavy and will require lots of trim.
You can go up another inch & a 1/2 with out worring about loosing water pressure but its good to keep your eye on it.

The "squirrlly" feel is something you will need to learn to drive through. Small quick corrections to the steering wheel will settle the boat back down. Also by using the trim. When its feels uncomfortable just bumb the trim down & it will settle that way as well. Make sure you have your Life jacket & kill switch lanyard attached.

Good luck

Mike

Wild Eyed
10-28-2002, 07:02 PM
Thanks guys.
I measured the propshaft hight ( below pad again after running it Sunday). It measures 2 7/8" below the pad. When it gets "squirrlly" on me it feels like the front isn't lifting enough and the roostertail is a couple of feet above the engine cowling. If I drop the motor down a 1/4" this goes away. I still have to drive the boat but the bow lifts and I can keep it on the pad.

I've always heard that the 3 blade Raker is faster than the 4 blade Renegade. Is this generally true? Some folks have suggested that I go to the Renegade 25" that I've got.
Any opinions?
Thanks in advance.

vector mike
10-29-2002, 06:30 AM
It sounds like you need more setback if it's not carrying the nose and you have to use too much trim. You shouldn't have a rooster tail above the cowling unless your over trimmed. Try moving more weight to the back. If you have a bow tank put it in the back. :)

Michael Martin
10-29-2002, 07:26 AM
If the rooster tail is that high the prop isn't getting a good bight & you are not on the pad.
When you were running it sunday if ya bumped the trim down what did it do?

When it gets "squirrlly" other that the bow not lifting & the tail is it doing anything else? Rocking from side to side etc?

The 24" raker and the Renagade should be the same on top and the renigade is probably faster out the hole.

Wild Eyed
10-29-2002, 06:29 PM
Thanks Guys,

Yes it rocks side to side, but it seems like it's hitting the water farther towards the bow than chine walk. That's what makes me think I'm not getting enough lift.

Wild Eyed
11-30-2002, 06:38 PM
I've got a 2000 Javelin R18 w/ 150 Johnson, 6" jackplate, 24 pitch Raker.
After a lot help and information from this board I think I've got it set up good. With propshaft 3.25 below the pad I get 63.9 mph (gps) @ 5500 with a full fuel load. (92 degree F, Water Temp 85)

Last weekend after moving jackplate 1/8" up at a time, final setting Gps'ed @ 66.2 mph @5650 RPM. (60 degree F, water temp @ 64 F)
At this height you definately have to drive the boat, but easy to do. When the nose comes up it really takes off. Don't believe I can get much better than this.

Thanks for all the help you guys gave!