PDA

View Full Version : Improving the search feature

Mark75H
08-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Greg, can there be some adjustments to the search engine ... its much weaker than the old one. I suspect it can be brought up to par with a few adjustments.

I think right now you can search better with Google looking into Screamandfly than with our own search engine

bigboy
09-05-2010, 03:38 PM
I cant agree more than Mark on this one.

I like the new format. It took some time to get used to it but it's fine now.

Like every product you have to innovate and improve.

The search funtion is one thing that didnt improve. I know in the past it was so easy to search things on the forum. Now it isnt anymore. The biggest problem is that it's not possible anymore to look up words with 3 digits (hst,stv,sst,245,260,280,2.5,150,200,225,300,efi,vro) and so much more and knowing that in boating terms there are a lot of words with only 3 digits this is a realy bad move in improving the search funtion.

I read somewhere that you, Greg, promised the forum will get better over time well I hope the search funtion will. I also use google now to look up things on the forum. It realy frustrates me a lot :(

Greg, how much do you want to improve the search funtion? LOL Once it works again like the old days I will become a member again ;)

This is a great forum and I joined 6 years ago. I know there are tons of good info but what is a database without beging able to look things up in a decent way?

I hope you understand my point of view and prob that of a lot others too!

Thx

jphii
09-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Getting the active topics module back would be nice too....

Mark75H
09-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Yeah, I've had more frustration with the search feature ... come on guys, if no one cares, Greg ain't gonna do anything about it ...

afr
09-05-2010, 05:08 PM
i vote for a fixer up as well both feature and the days active topics
if you want to go back at the end of the day and read a post a lot of times you cant find it

transomstand
09-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Ok, I'm in. It's odd, sometimes it's dead on, other times it misses by a mile. Not sure if you can search a 3 letter word. This is a hardship for me, because the bulk of my vocabulary consists of 3 letter words.

pro, max, mid, china "wok", etc

Mark75H
09-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Three is generally too short, but some search engines allow groups of special exceptions of shorter strings. I have done so on BRF

illMATTic
10-14-2010, 08:40 PM
I agree. This search feature is for the birds. I can not find anything to do with a 2.5 200 xri.