PDA

View Full Version : 71 16'Glastron Carlson Challenger w/150XS 77 Merc

Carlson150XS
07-04-2001, 06:52 PM
Ok here is what I have. It's a 71 16'Glastron Carlson Challenger,the last year made. It's a half tunnel that goes to a flat bottom. On it is a 77 Merc 150 XS totally restored with power trim,low water pickup and Chopper prop.
It's on a manual jack plate 6" back 5.5" up.
Foot throttle,trim on steering. Steering is dual cable
Telflex.
Questions- Anyone running a rig like this or had one?

Does setup sound correct?
Putting in water next week for first run after refurb-
Jim

Raceman
07-04-2001, 10:18 PM
I'd get some serious seat time in that boat before I aired it out with that XS. I'm not real sure about that setback either. I've seen a picture somewhere on the web of one of those boats midair, upside down, with an older inline with a lot less power....possibly an old 1000. I'm not sure what you mean by 5.5" up either. Where's the propshaft in relation to the bottom of the boat?

Carlson150XS
07-05-2001, 10:18 AM
Prop Shaft about 1.5" below bottom. Understand the seat time issue.

Raceman
07-05-2001, 02:59 PM
My old Switzer Shooting star was very similar in some ways to your boat. The tunnel, although not as defined at the front as the Carlson's went away at the rear just as the Carlson's does. I always thought there was a trapped air issue there that I couldn't resolve in my mind. Generally tapped air will create bow lift and it's why the old full tunnels of the 70's with their 6 or 8 inches of lift (the difference between the tunnel height at the front and rear) gradually became today's boats with almost no lift. Anyway, back to the transom height, my Switzer was set up with the propshaft almost even with the boat bottom and it didn't have any setback. With your's you might find 1 1/2 to be low. Again, be careful with that boat with that much power.

tombrown
07-05-2001, 04:09 PM
Carlson150XS, do you have any pictures of your boat on the 'net? I'd love to have a look at it.

Carlson150XS
07-05-2001, 09:32 PM
Raceman-Yes it's alot like a Switzer Shooting Star-I saw a Shooting Star up close at the Clayton,Ny Race Boat show-it was and still is a beautiful boat. I agree with you that the set up should be about even with the bottom but I wanted to start a little conservative with this one-
Tombrown-By the way there is a good web sight that has some great Shooting Star photos and A photo of a 69 Carlson Challanger like mine in the visitors area.(Communities.msn.com/bridgesboats&naventryid=114) I'll have photos as soon as the rehab done.