PDA

View Full Version : Looking for information on old Allison Raceboats

LakeRacer99
10-24-2002, 10:22 AM
Looking for information on a 13R i think it is a 1969, I just purchased and needs complete restoration. I am looking for detailed pics, specs and advice. There is a little info on the Allisonowners site but not much more than a couple pics. These were before my time and I need help.
Thanks,
jason

Jeff_G
10-30-2002, 10:01 AM
I don't have specs or photos but what info do you need?

LakeRacer99
10-30-2002, 10:22 AM
Well, my boat was a 13ft raceboat, somebody converted it to a ski boat with a long shaft motor. I am wanting to restore it to original condition with a short shaft motor. I guess I am looking for pictures of the original Allison racing equipment. What kind of steering was used? Nydahl? What class of raceboat would it be? Family J? E? What was the original weight? Any copies of original brochures? Gel Colors? Typical racing equipment? Gauges?
I am really just trying to learn from pictures that I see of them. These boats were raced before I was born making restoration difficult.
Any info would be great.
Thanks,
Jason

Jeff_G
10-30-2002, 08:40 PM
The 13 and 14 Allisons were used mostly in E Production (APBA) class and 40 to 70 V NOA. Danny help me here. They also used the 14, I don't remember the 13 in GP (85 Merc).

They didn't come with guages, used the 75 short shaft OMC. Most used Keller or Nydahl steering and controls. The manuf. metal fuel tank was prevelent unless a marathon where a custom alum. tank. Usually tied down to a thrust block, not trim until later years. Hope this helps. Let us know if we can help more.

The J class used the 15.

BarryStrawn
10-31-2002, 12:44 AM
Jason,

I can add a bit. My '78 RS16 came with a little manual jackplate that was likely used on the smaller stuff also. Transom brackets are just 1/4" aluminum angle with square cornered slots and a gusset across the top. Plate was fabricated from plate and angle. Used a pair of bolts on each side of the plate that you screwed down onto the bracket gussets to adjust height. Mine came with carriage bolts and the square shoulder registered in the slots so you didn't need a wrench on the inside. The square cornered slots were not the best idea and tended to crack. I beat up a set pretty bad with the V4 and I think I got the last set of replacement brackets back in '83 to fix mine. Someone might have one laying around. I'll try to find a picture.

Another option was a front cowl which deflected most of the air and gave a place to mount some instruments. It just screws down to the deck. If you are not in a hurry, I'd make you one. Mine's in the attic and I'm going to try to get the 16 cleaned up this winter. This isn't a great picture but all I can find at the moment. And that isn't the Allison jackplate in the photo.

brianT2
10-31-2002, 01:08 AM
i don't know if these are any help, found them a while back on the ally web site. i will have a 13r running very soon as well. a friend of my dads bought the original molds from paul allison and he is building them again. if you have not contacted the allisons directly you may want to try, they always seemed to be very good people.
pic1

brianT2
10-31-2002, 01:08 AM
pic2

etnprop
10-31-2002, 07:53 AM
we have several of the old Allisons from 13'-16' with power ranging from 40omc to 150XS mercs... the boat in the picture is one we put together for my son. I'm no expert but I might be able to help if you want to email me

LakeRacer99
10-31-2002, 11:12 AM
Hey thanks for the help so far. My boat is jusat like the org/blk one pictured above. How does the 40OMC run? Is that a shifting case or speedmaster type? What prop?
Thanks and keep the detailed pics coming.

jason

Psyco
11-02-2002, 10:16 PM
Just saw a beautifully restored '68 14ft. Ally with a 75 Stinger on it today. It's owned by Hopkins Propeller in Slidell,La. They raced these botes in the "E" class. They are werkin' on a "fast" 3 cyl OMC for this particular bote. Really used to love to see these botes race back in the day. Good luck in your search.
Oh,yeah....they run best with a Chrysler on the transom, just as Simon Young.:D

Raceman
11-03-2002, 08:33 PM
Brian, I sent you a private message through the system here several days ago. I need contact information for your dad's buddy. When I had lunch with them he said he'd build me a boat to run my 650XS on. I don't know how to call him now. You can E mail me through the E mail button on the bottom of this.

LakeRacer99
11-04-2002, 03:11 PM
Well, pics are kinda fuzzy but here is my '69 13 footer. The stringers and transom are gone and the core is in need of help also. Sounds like alot of work. The project will begin soon, I am trying to aquire as much Allison original information as I can.
Thanks for the help so far.

LakeRacer99
11-04-2002, 03:13 PM
Back side...

Firestarter
11-04-2002, 03:43 PM
Hey Raceman

I am thinking of buying a friends Delta, and need a motor...........do you know where I can get a 650 XS.....in running condition.....or able to run?

Thanks

RT

Raceman
11-04-2002, 06:06 PM
Rob, Mark Casper had an engine about a year ago that wasn't a complete 650XS, but had a bunch of the components, including the powerhead if I remember right. It took me about 10 years to find mine. They're extremely hard to come by for some reason.

Raceman
11-04-2002, 06:19 PM
LR99, your Allison looks brand new compared to my 15'er which I've had since 1974 or 75. The previous owner had raced it extensively and it was a little rough then. I had it shot with black Imron after I bought it, but after I quit running it, it sat outside under a tarp for over 10 years. It's got too many memories to scrap it, but it's gonna take a MAJOR resto effort. Here's a picture of it in 77 or so with a T3 on it.

LakeRacer99
11-06-2002, 02:30 PM
Hey Raceman, That Ally looks awesome!!! Mine looks ok at first glance but, there is no wood left in the stringers inder the glass and part of the core is exposed an rotted. Someday after restoration I hope to have a Shorty Stinger 75 on it.
I was wondering if you have any other shots of that 1750XS cowl? All 4 sides would be good..:) I have a glass aftermarket one in my garage I wanted to make look like that one for my old 1750.
Thanks,
Jason
fastboat3@aol.com

Raceman
11-06-2002, 04:54 PM
I don't have any better pictures of the cowl on the boat, but here's a factory picture from an old brochure:

mwr_1
11-06-2002, 05:33 PM
The pictures are not the best but here is my 15' with a modified 2.4, offshore and one-to-one lower unit.

Raceman
11-06-2002, 05:42 PM
What kind of mid is on that boat? It looks awful low to be 20".

mwr_1
11-06-2002, 05:46 PM
It is a 15" ofshore and the power head started as a 225 but was modified by Mercury at the factory.

mwr_1
11-06-2002, 05:54 PM
Picture of motor

Raceman
11-06-2002, 06:40 PM
MWR, that's a 12", just like the T3 in the picture above, although if that's the cowl that came with it, it's likely 8 bolt instead of the 6 bolt in the picture.

I was suspicious of it from the way the boat looked running. Show us a complete pic with the gearcase and all.

CRMERC
11-06-2002, 07:44 PM
lake racer how many pics do you need?

mwr_1
11-06-2002, 07:49 PM
I bought this boat new at the Allisoon Factory from Paul Allison. It did not even have a steering wheel. I picked it up and helped load it on the trailer. The first engine was a Twister I, the second engine was a short shaft 150 (in line), the third engine was a Formula II 120 CI, and the last engine was a 2.4 142 CI power head built by Mercury Racing that started as a 225 block. The pictures are not that good but I will try to post one showing the entire boat.

KG4
11-06-2002, 08:29 PM
WOW!!! Thats some wicked power for a small boat.I have a 15 invader and wanted to put a sst 120 motor on it but a few tunnel racers said i would be asking for trouble but after seeing those pictures i think i still might do it.You guys are insane i love it.What do you think?Would it work?

Raceman
11-06-2002, 08:36 PM
Great picture MWR. My 15'er had a short 1500 on it when I bought it and was a rough old roundy rounder. I upgraded to a 1500 J motor, then an XS powerhead and a T2. Later it got a 76 1750 which I shortened when brand new, before most people had ever seen a Merc V6. I bought the champ housing off the Merc truck in St. Louis and flew home with it between my feet in a duffle bag. The T3 mutated to a 2.4 with the port timing changed and a crude, homebuilt nitros setup before I put all the stuff on a 16'er. After that, I raised the transom back to full height and put a T2 back on it with a shiftable gearcase. I was gonna do it over and put one of my old XS's on it, but seeing your boat makes me want to stick a short motor on it again.

Raceman
11-06-2002, 08:38 PM
CRMerc, I'd sure like to have that cowl. Is it for sale?

mwr_1
11-06-2002, 09:42 PM
Raceman drop me an e-mail and I can tell you a lot more about he boat. I sold it a few years back, but the current owner still has it and runs it he says two or three times a year. He got both the Folmula II and Formula I engines. The Formula II only had about one hour on it when he bought it. If you are interested I can give him a call and if he don't mind I will give you his phone number. He lives in Tennessee.

LakeRacer99
11-07-2002, 09:37 AM
CRMerc: Thanks for the pic, Now, do you have one of the front too?
Thank, that helps alot.

mwr: Badass boat, I love it.
Jason