PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl decals instead of paint?

WSJR1
08-11-2010, 12:37 PM
I recently saw a post where the guy didn't want the difference in feel & height of the paint.

I was thinking of shooting my boat all white and doing the graphics in vinyl vs paint.

What are the down faults to this?

Liberator*21
08-11-2010, 01:39 PM
I'm curious as well..........There are allot of Bass Boats that have been wrapped and it's pretty cool looking, but I also think it's pretty damm pricey too. Let's see who else drops in and knows something about this question you posed............

WSJR1
08-11-2010, 04:56 PM
I was just thinking that if I did the decals with the traditional hydrostrim arrows on the front ... that if anyone ever wanted to change the color they could. It would just go right in the same place so fading wouldnt be an issue.

Other performance boats I see that use vinyl claim its good for 7 years or so without any fading of the decal ... and thats without a ton of care which could mak eit last longer ... sun wise.

panther150
09-15-2010, 11:04 AM
here's the emblem as a decal decal on my ae-21.

Steve

Ronny Jetmore
10-05-2010, 09:36 PM
i am actually doing the same thing on ron bakers v-king. instead of dealing with fading gel or paint in years to come, you just remove the decal and put a fresh one down. i see no disadvantage except resale, a better finish since you won't feel where color starts and stops.

especially using a white background, it will be awesome since white lasts forever compared to darker colors.

capt. b
12-22-2010, 01:20 AM
vinyl wrapping is the future. I just wrapped a 36 ft CC in the traditional blue hull, I always wanted a navy blue hull and this one was white with silver/ black gelcoat graphics....have 25 hours on it already. It is holding up better fantastic. If it was gonna fail, it wouldve done it this summer in those 25 hours of operation......... 3M gave me a 7 yr warranty from fading, peeling or cracking... cant get that from paint.... it also keeps my original gelcoat clean and free from damage from the sun.... check into it.... cost me 1/15th of what painting wouldve cost me and if I dont like it next summer, just peel it off and do it again in a different color... no EPA, no state hassles from fumes or pollution, nothing but good

Im VERY satisfied. I recommend it

40hpmariner
12-22-2010, 10:08 PM
vinyl wrapping is the future. I just wrapped a 36 ft CC in the traditional blue hull, I always wanted a navy blue hull and this one was white with silver/ black gelcoat graphics....have 25 hours on it already. It is holding up better fantastic. If it was gonna fail, it wouldve done it this summer in those 25 hours of operation......... 3M gave me a 7 yr warranty from fading, peeling or cracking... cant get that from paint.... it also keeps my original gelcoat clean and free from damage from the sun.... check into it.... cost me 1/15th of what painting wouldve cost me and if I dont like it next summer, just peel it off and do it again in a different color... no EPA, no state hassles from fumes or pollution, nothing but good

Im VERY satisfied. I recommend it

now thats sounds convincing :D but wouldnt it only be REALLY worth it in larger applications? such as your boat....

yachter55
01-14-2011, 09:48 PM
I just got a quote in Lauderdale for a 3'x25' both sides 2700 and 2300. includes a designer,installation and 5 year warr.

capt. b
01-14-2011, 09:53 PM
shop around.... there are a bunch of them on the web advertising. Look for the local guys instead of the franchised national companies.

Mine was 1400 bones for both sides (3'X41' X 2 sides Overall length) I had them put a few graphic lines on also, helped the shape of it to the eye when looking at it.

boatmann
01-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Capt B is right on. Shop around, I have seen where boats have been wrapped and when they take the wrap off the shop has cut into the gelcoat with a razor. Some shops have idots or lets say non-experienced personnnel that could cause more damage than what it's worth. But to answer the orginal question. Decals are the way to go. They are waaaaay cheeper to make and install than a custom paint job. And You can change it anytime you wish. Some of the sign shops will make you a set of decals and let you put them on, that even saves more $$$.

boatmann
01-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Definately shop around. I have seen where boats were wrapped and when they take the wrap off. The gelcoat has been cut with a razor. So shops have idots , or should we say non-learned personnel, that can do more damage than what it's worth. But , Decals are waaaaay cheeper to use than a custom paint job. You are only limited to your imagination, and if it changes, so do decals....

yachter55
01-16-2011, 07:55 PM
just got another quote for 3500 in chicago. so capt b who did u use

That's Right
01-17-2011, 06:28 PM
shop around.... there are a bunch of them on the web advertising. Look for the local guys instead of the franchised national companies.

Mine was 1400 bones for both sides (3'X41' X 2 sides Overall length) I had them put a few graphic lines on also, helped the shape of it to the eye when looking at it.,

I am thinking of doing it on our Wellcraft, will you post some pics of your boat?

yachter55
01-19-2011, 06:32 PM
got an on line estimate today.3200 and 400. off if he puts his logo on it.

liquidsign
02-01-2011, 02:15 PM
ive been doing this kind of work for 23 years, as far as 1/15th the cost of paint, lets just say you get what you pay for, personally i think the 3m has gone downhill, and when they say a 7 year life for high performance, there are factors that affect that both ways

Liberator*21
02-02-2011, 06:30 AM
ive been doing this kind of work for 23 years, as far as 1/15th the cost of paint, lets just say you get what you pay for, personally i think the 3m has gone downhill, and when they say a 7 year life for high performance, there are factors that affect that both ways

Liquidsign;
Here's a question for you, can a "WRAP" be done only on a section of a hull. like applying a decal for graphic effects (above the water line) and how durable would it be againist peeling up at the edges ??????

brockshydro
02-03-2011, 10:18 PM
http://www.screamandfly.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=226249
hear is the hydrostream logo as a vinyl graphic on my vking yt

liquidsign
02-04-2011, 07:28 PM
hey Lib, you can wrap a portion if you want, it should stay put if its installed right

oregondunes
02-23-2011, 01:01 AM
here is a great link with many sources for ideas http://www.performance-boating-and-swimwear.com/boat-graphics.html

gamble1
08-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Had mine done a few weeks ago. LOVE IT!!!240061240062240063

HIMAGAIN
08-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Here Is my cowl Done a few weeks ago I would have no problems doing a warp on my boat

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j465/fammer91/lid2.jpg
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j465/fammer91/lid1.jpg
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j465/fammer91/lid.jpg
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j465/fammer91/cowl.jpg

waterboy222
08-11-2011, 10:29 AM
My boat is wrapped and I hate it. When you tie up to the dock or another boat, the fenders moving up and down rub holes HUGE HOLES in the wrap. Plus going from salt to fresh and back again causes staining that you cant get out. Plus you cant get the shine that you get with wax on gel or paint. Peeling mine off this winter and going with paint. I LOVED the design, hated the product.

omcnut
08-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Im restoring a boat my grandfather gave me years ago. 78 Ranger 1750 Aztec. It was the king of kings in 78 but is terrible in appearance, and not fish friendly nowadays. Im jacking up and extending the fishing decks, repainting the hul and top brilliant white and I have a buddy that owns a custom vinyl shop thats cuting my striping. were going metallic red, maroon, and black just like the new 2011 z comanches. he fugured a few hundred dollars in mat and labor. Also gonna cut my decals for the windshields and trailer. Gonna lay the striping, and install the rubrail over the top so ya wont be able to tell. Pretty cool idea, and yes itll work, cause hed a told me otherwise if he was unsure.... cant wait to take the before pics and get started

SWEET EMOTIONS RACING
09-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Guys interesting view points. My graphics partner is also a custom airbrush artist. The wraps are cool and probably cheaper, but when you take a wrap off the adhesive from the wrap dulls your OEM hull gelcoat, and you will have to wet-sand the entire boat after you peal it off. Its also cool if you sell it and the buyer doesn't like the wrap. Paint is more durable and less money to me. Ive done graphics and I also do painted graphics. I feel wraps are a Fad and will fade out eventually. you see these pro anglers getting new wraps every year? its because they don't last and tear up easy, Ive seen a wrap unwrap on a bass boat from water at high speeds, you will not see paint do that. Anyways great post. For you hydro-stream owners I make the decals with the arrows

Cougardriver
09-24-2011, 09:57 PM
For what its worth department: I just bought a 1994 Bullet 20XD that had a Full wrap, everything except the hull. The wrap extended down the gunwales and folded over just underneath the turn to the hull. The wrap had been on about 3 years and was in pretty good shape except a few places where it had gotten torn up from going on and off the trailer and topside on the uppers where it had gotten worn. I wanted it gone so as soon as I got the boat home I proceeded to remove it. It was a good wrap, done by a sign shop that specializes in this work. However taking this thing off has proven to be a bitch of a job! If you think it is just a peel off and walk away you are sadly mistaken. It has taken me hours and hours to get rid of the thing. I actually got 99% of the wrap off in about a day. The rub comes when you realize that the wrap once removed has left all sorts of patches of glue all over the boat. I tried about 6 different chemicals to get the glue off and nothing has worked except laquer thinner and even that requires a ton of elbow grease and a lot of rubbing and scraping and grief. To make matters worse, when they put the wrap on they used some sort of cement along the edges to keep it from curling up and so far even laquer thinner won't touch it. Luckily the strip of glue is only about an inch wide just under the point where the gunwales turn to the hull but I just cannot get it to come loose! I know if I don't get this stuff off it will produce a drag on the hull which will hurt the speed of the boat...I think. I have also found out that if you leave a wrap on a boat for 5 years or more, the stickum on the wrap will dry out and you will almost NEVER get the thing off. Thank God I got after mine right away. My vote on wraps is NO HELL NO. You get what you pay for and I would rather pay a good painter to do his thing. At least you know you can get the paint off if you want to change the color or decoration scheme. If you are gonna buy a boat that is wrapped I advise you to do some dickerin' on price cause you are gonna invest a lot of time and grunt work getting the thing removed if you want it gone. I will grant that having the wrap on does protect the finish underneath.

CougarDriver in Jax, FL