PDA

View Full Version : WetSanding

Mastercraft241
08-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Im extremly new to wetsanding. I was told to get 2000 grit and it would restore the shine great. I've been following that with microcompound on a whool pad followed by finnesse-it on a grey foam pad. So far, its been "shinning" it up, but it hasnt been getting the scratches out as well as I'd like. If anyone can give some good pointers, like how to sand it (side to side, circles), when you've done enough sanding, wait to apply micro compound?, and would it be safe to go to 1500 grit? Here's a shot of a little spot I did today. I literally did both sides from the gunnel back. Didn't take long either, probably an hour or so.

samari
08-06-2010, 11:47 PM
I have done a couple of my own boats both gel and paint but I'm far from a expert but you will be fine with 1500. If it's gel you should be fine with 1000 then work your way up.

Ted Stryker
08-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Alot of Guy's will disagree but I won't go heavier than 1,000 grit and never to just restore a shine, just too much work to go back up to a truly nice gloss... When You use sandpaper (say 1500) be sure to wrap the paper around a sponge or something, DO NOT USE just You hand or it will leave to seriously difficult to remove finger scuffs... Use light, but many strokes until You've got all the scrtches out except for the 1500 grit ones that You used to replace the heavy scratches... Move up to 2,000 grit using the same techniique, again I emphasize a soft sanding block to wrap the paper and light strokes and keep the block sanding flat... I then go to a diminishing grit compound like the one found in the Meguire's gel coat restoration kit or some like an aquabuff 2 step system, there are many but that's a different topic... That should remove the 2,000 git fog if done correctly, You can then go to a finer grit compound of which there are many, followed by a polish stage then a wax... USE ON ONLY PRODUCTS MADE FOR GEL, NOT PAINT COMPOUNDS/ WAX'S/ ETC...

1BadAction
08-09-2010, 08:25 PM
If the compound isn't getting the scratches out its, not aggressive enough or the scratches aren't refined completely. Kevin is right on in what he says.

Don't be afraid to wring the piss out of that buffer either, its tough ass gel not soft paint. :D The last step with the foam pad does need to be ran a little slower though, and remember to keep it moving.

Mastercraft241
08-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Ok, thanks for all the info guys! 1Bad, I was hoping you'd chime in on this one. I did like you guys said, wrapped 1500 grit around a sponge sanded very light strokes evenly across the surface. I then followed up with 2000grit, same technique. I haven't polished yet. But I have a micro compound that I'll be using with a whool pad and then follow up with finesse it (grey foam pad), and then I guess leverage wax. Here's the sanding from today.

racerx
08-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Get some heavy duty compound to start with,3m,,and use a heavy buffer if you can like a milwaukee and let it eat,check your sanding scrathes under a good light,if not you will miss them,now put on the apron and put the arms to work,good luck..

Mastercraft241
08-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Yessir. I havent used swirl remover or applied a final coat of wax yet. Here it is after the heavy compound.

RobF
08-12-2010, 07:34 PM
personally I think using anything over 1500 on gelcoat is a waste of time, you can get mirror finishes on black gelcoat with only 1000

1BadAction
08-12-2010, 07:57 PM
I agree rob, it all depends on the compounds you use and the brand of gel. if you can't get a more coarse compound its probably better to go higher on the wet paper. I used 1000 wet on my black bass boat bottom and brought it out with 2 buffer passes using regular compounds. sunlight or the 3m sungun and there's no swirls.

Mastercraft241
08-12-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm a huge noob on this, so I was airing on the side of caution. I used a heavy cut compound, and went over the entire boat twice. I followed with swirl remover. Tomorrow I'll wash the boat down and put on a nice coat of leverage wax. Heres the deck and side after the swirl remover. By the way-- WOW THAT STUFF IS DIFFICULT TO WORK WITH!

RobF
08-13-2010, 07:42 AM
now you just have to keep it out of the sun!

baddjonny
08-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Jason try colvin auto parts if your not useing them already there in merrick on babylon turnpike just south of sunrise you can get all the 3m sanding pads and sque gees so you can see if the scratch is removed also sand in small circiles not inline it makes waves in the finish. colvin has a complete paint supply shop.
Still mad at me??? for laughing?? hope you have grown up enough to accept life's little setbacks.

jon b

Mastercraft241
08-16-2010, 11:08 PM
mad at you? What were you laughing at?

............you lost me.

baddjonny
08-16-2010, 11:11 PM
When you ran into the nail sticking out of the dock and it put a gouge in the boat
remember
jon

Mastercraft241
08-16-2010, 11:12 PM
With the Concord? Yea, wait...... jon?!?!?!

yachter55
08-24-2010, 05:06 PM
sorry so late on the post,I add a few drops of liquid soap to the water so the sand paper slides over the glass and it wont stick as much as it drys out.lots of water.rag with water above your sanding block. And 2 advil before bed. good luck!

keomotorsports
08-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Add liquid soap no doubt. If it is gel kote go as far as 400 or even 320 on the deep scratches be shure not to sand a dent though then work your way up. Gel will polish out with 1000 like a mirror make shure you use a soft block. give it hell man.