PDA

View Full Version : First time I ever saw a T4

Raceman
10-22-2002, 05:09 PM
This was at St. Louis. I wanted one of these too, thought Garbreick (spelling?) would die laughing.

H2Onut
10-22-2002, 06:36 PM
C'mon, your not looking hard enough, in the corner by the doge, it's a 54 with a mashed up door.

You got one, it's just hidden somewhere and you forgot where!

brianT2
10-28-2002, 12:27 AM
you can't see it in the picture but those boats have brakes on them! the system was hydraulic or air driven. the brakes were used to set the boats for the 1 pin turns used at st.louis. after other racers saw them it seemed like everybody tried a set on their own boats. i remember dad trying them in practice but i think he took them off for the races. it seemed to me that they may have been the cause of a few accidents that weekend and i don't know that they were ever used anywhere else with much success really.

brianT2
10-28-2002, 12:29 AM
some drawings to illustrate their operation.

brianT2
10-28-2002, 12:29 AM

Mark75H
10-28-2002, 12:40 AM
I seem to recall some transoms not being strong enough for the brakes.......hit the brakes, drop the ball in the water and RRRRRRIP! the transom is off the back of the sponson.

crazy horse
10-28-2002, 06:58 AM
Were not going to start talking about brakes again? I have had a set of brakes on my comp viper for over twenty years. They have brought me back down too many time for me to count. They are CO2 powered, My viper is very light they let me trim up to the blowover point without the risk, I can hit the button and bring it down fast. Plus its great when I turn I can leave the trim up and use the brakes when I turn. They are mounted in the built in setback of the hull. You can see them in this shot. A 2.5 lb. jug of CO2 last me all year, And I'm on my second set of air clys. in 20 years of running them.

Doubledog
10-28-2002, 07:26 AM
Never would've guessed that bout the brakes.

Great graphics there T2. Did you just design that to throw on the board?

Raceman
10-28-2002, 04:35 PM
I remember seeing several boats lose the transoms because of the brakes. The ones I saw were just a round metal pin that went straight down in the water, rathere than having a ball on the end like the illustration, but there may have been a bunch of different configurations.

I sho do want a Super Strangler or Stinger GP like the one in the picture.

crazy horse
10-28-2002, 06:33 PM
RM, The only problem I ever had was one cly. broke it's return spring so I changed them both about 6 years ago. The air clys. have 1/2 dia. ss rods and I never have bent one. My pucks are 1 1/2 in. in dia. and 2 in. long ,The CO2 is set at 100psi the top of the puck stop 1/4 in. above the bottom that way they come up fast when I get off the button.I've tried differant sizes, higher pressure and I even knurled and dippled a couple a sets. I built a set for a guy 10 years ago that we put on a 2.4- Sumerford. {spelling}He ran it till he sold it with no problems. Mine are right in between the stringers so I have a small al. brace that the four small bolt run though. Plus there glassed in. They have been fun to play with.

brianT2
10-29-2002, 12:50 AM
crazy horse- neat set up on the viper, don't recall any vee bottoms with brakes back then. definitely sounds like a lifesaver for extreme trim situations. love that 1500xs. my dad dominated JP '75 running a viper/pre-xs 1500 combo.
raceman- i think dad actually tried the pin type you referred to. that v4 was the late webb mapoles(sp). picture was at lakeland '81. leecraft hull i think, UJ/Mod100 class.
doubledog- thanks for the praise, i scribbled those up on MGI photosuite. i used to doodle lots of times at the boat races and give them to the racers. good way to kill time between dads heats.:)

LakeRacer99
10-29-2002, 09:36 AM
I haven't seen the ball types you are refering to, but in the late 80's in St Louis, Rusty Campbell had a set on his STV.
I think they used to be available in Land & Sea's catalog or Second Effort's catalog also.
I would imagine if one side failed, it would become quite hairy...