PDA

View Full Version : Need To Remove Repaint Down To Gel Coat

INXS
07-14-2010, 11:40 PM
I took the my 24' Banana to a painter to see what he could do. He pointed out that the last paint job wasn't done right and that all of it would have to be sanded off. I've no problem with that, I'll do it myself. I think he said it would take me about a good 40 hrs of sanding. I think I picked up some 120 grit sand paper for my DA sander. I understand that in a regular paint over that you would have to whipe the old paint down with a clearning agent, question is do I still have to do this if it's all coming off? I know that once I've got down to the gel coat I'll need to use say a 240 grit to finish along with rolling on say two coats of primmer. Any imput on this?

Thanks!

cat06
07-15-2010, 01:33 AM
before you start sanding, first wash the boat with some strong soap (like Dawn or any grease fighting dish soap, your trying to remove wax, etc), then wipe it down with a prep solvent or laq thinner to remove grease, wax etc. You don't want the sanding to embed that in the base (it will). Keep it clean as you can and try not to touch it as the oils in your skin get on the surface.

I'm sure your painter will wipe / clean it before he paints, but for the best job it's always best to keep it as clean as you can.

1BadAction
07-15-2010, 05:22 AM
80 grit clogs up alot less than even 120, then ask the painter what he wants for his primer. It'll likely be 180 or 220. The high build epoxy primer I use is fine right over 80, but most of the primers are a bit thinner than HOK and require a little less tooth.

INXS
07-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks, the 80 should say me $$$ also.