PDA

View Full Version : Painting Advise Please

Liberator*21
06-17-2010, 12:34 PM
The purple color in my 21' Liberator has faded over time. It's in the Gel Coat. I've tried to buff it back but to no avail. I have a local custom shop that is willing to repaint all the purple on the boat and ad some silver metalic ghost flames in the purple, then clear over the work. Now I'm talking all the purple on the boat, top and sides. I've been quoted $1800 for the work out the door. I've seen some of the work they've done on other boats 30' + size and it's very, very nice work...........So here's the question...........

Boat Pic:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/Liberator/postpics.jpg

The paint/clear work will leave an edge as I was told because of the build up on the surface and because it's being done in sections (paint & clear worked areas only). I understand the build up part but what kind of "EDGE" can I expect, big edge, smooth tapered edge etc. I'm ok with the worked surfaces being higher than the boats skin, that to be expected because I understand what's happening, just not sure of that edge thing (because I don't understand it).

Would some one with painting a boat experience educate me as to what to expect for an edge. I was offered to have the whole boat cleared thereby eliminating any edges, but that a little to costly and to extreme. It's noyt a show boat, but would just like to keep it looking nice.

Thanks

rchevelle71
06-17-2010, 01:18 PM
The edge shouldnt be too bad(maybe .010" thick), but it WILL be a sharp edge, not feathered out. No doubt, the best way would be to wetsand/clear the entire boat. In fact, if they did that, you most likely wouldnt even have to paint the purple.

Liberator*21
06-17-2010, 01:43 PM
I hear what your saying but I'm looking at $1800 (purple & flames only paint work) vs. $7000 (purple & flames paint work & clear on the whole boat)...........it's not a show boat and the white gel is still great. Besides I really can't justify spending that kind of coin these days just for looks.

karman 2
06-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Try wet sand first. I'm familiar with your ride.
1000 grit, then wheel with compound. It will come back to life!

WILDMAN
06-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Thr "edge" will feel just like you put viynl stickers on it. I would paint the entire top and side and clearcoat, then sand flt so no edges. I would als repaint all the white so there's no yellowing. I could also repaint any new design you wanted. Cost to do the entire boat is $4000-$4500. [That's if you take all the hardware off] To do just the purple in any color is about $2000, but you would feel the edges and the white would still not be perfect. wait till winter and get it painted exactly the way you want. Thanx, WILDMAN

1BadAction
06-17-2010, 09:59 PM
I could bring that out with a cut n buff, no problem. Thats much better than some I've started with.

Liberator*21
06-18-2010, 05:27 AM
Try wet sand first. I'm familiar with your ride.
1000 grit, then wheel with compound. It will come back to life!

Karman;
I hear what you saying but I also wanted to ad the flame job to set it off a little more...............guess I'll bite the bullet and just do the purple. If what I'm reading is correct I don't mind a small edge like a decal..............:) Thx

Randy;
Thanks for your expert advise................:thumbsup:

1BadAction;
Thanks for your input as well.............:cheers:

Carter Powell
08-07-2010, 12:46 PM
After the color coat is shot if they remask the outline of whatever was painted with a 1/2" border they can then wet sand the clear to blend it in. You will feel a shallow rise but there will not be a sharp edge. If the painter is real good he can use a VERY SMALL touch up gun or a preval sprayer and slowly build up the edge right where the purple drops onto the white and with the right amount of wet sanding you will not feel an edge at all. Then if they reclear the entire top it will be almost undetectable. I have done it many times.

Best wishes, Carter Powell