PDA

View Full Version : painting my vector

81hydrostream
10-17-2002, 11:07 PM
My vectors finish is done I tried vert glass at the start of the season but now it is looks as faded as it did before i did anything. i have made the decission to paint it this winter. can anyone help me and tell me what kind of paints and primers i should use. i was hoping to paint and clear coat.

vector mike
10-18-2002, 07:37 AM
If you just want to paint with an epoxy and no clear coat, AwlGrip is the best and the most durable. If you want more than one color and want to clear over it then Chroma Base is a good choice. :)

delawarerick
10-18-2002, 07:54 AM
I agree with vector mike awlgrip is tough to beat if one color is desired. This paint holds up to salt and abuse better than anything on the market. The nice thing is that you can also touch it up if necessary. I tried two part uerothane and it works but it is basic. By basic it shines. Good luck painting. Rick

Techno
10-18-2002, 04:32 PM
If you can do what you want in single stage it's bound to be cheaper. The more stages and complications the cost goes up like bacteria multiplying.
Metal flake makes a big optical impact too. Can put it on thick or thin or vary it for added affects. Colored flake will look like a color painted on too, can be used as a shading affect to solid color.

Print out a B&W picture of your boat and color it in for different styles. Try not following body lines too, I noticed most custom jobs ignore the object and splash a graphic on it. A few lines are followed but not too much.

sho305
10-21-2002, 09:18 PM
Using the automotive stuff, I prefer the base/clear to single. I can get away with more and blend easy. I suppose a solid color would be good single though. Have even cleared over single stage and it seemed to be pretty durable. Not sure if it was worth it or not. It did make for a nicer finish and holdout.