PDA

View Full Version : G-Force Equal Length Oval Drag Tuners on 20

Frequent Flyer
04-22-2001, 06:47 PM
I've been told that the G-Force equal length oval drag tuners can cause water to be sucked into the #6 piston (especially a short tuner on a 20" midsection). After experiencing 5, #6 failures last season I'd like to keep my new powerhead in one piece and am wondering if the tuner should be changed back to stock. I'm in the process of doing so but having a problem with frozen bolts so I'm considering leaving the tuner as is.
Any help/experiences will be greatly appreciated.
Also looking at the water pump housing and noticed that the back half of that round gasket/wide-o ring was chewed up witch could possibly allow water to spirt directly into the tuner (I'm changing that one).
Frequent Flyer
260EFI, OS Mid, CLE lowerunit

Jay Smith
04-22-2001, 07:47 PM
Tuners are a choice that you have to make as far as the bolts if red loctite was used during instalition a propane torch can be used to heat up the bolt if you don't have a cutting rig, the loctite is history after about 400 degrees and it should break with a little more ease!

Good luck,

Jay @ JSREi

Techno
04-22-2001, 07:50 PM
Try some kroil made by kano labs. It works like magic, it can penetrate into the micron range so it works like penetrating oil is supposed to. Aero kroil is a spray, kroil is just a liquid in a can.
http://www.kanolabs.com/

jimmyb
04-22-2001, 08:52 PM
please see my response in the "technical discussion" area

Frequent Flyer
04-22-2001, 09:30 PM
Jimmy,
I could not find your response in the technical discussion.
Mark

jimmyb
04-23-2001, 07:10 AM
i did post something there, but I must have forgot to hit the post button after my typing...

anyhow, I basically said that the g-force tuner and merc tuner are about the same length, so I doubt the tuners would really change the chances of water ingestion...

As far as water injestion in #6, I have heard guys talking about this before. I have never heard a decent, substantiated report of this happening. The only way I can see that this would happen is if you have motor set VERY low (low enough for the water line to be above the lower cowl), then there would have to be some way to force the water up into #6 (backing up the boat very fast when you launch it from the trailer), the engine has to be stopped at a point where the #6 exhaust port is open, and the motor has to be trimmed down when launching. The chances of this happening is very slim... I dont know of anyone running their motors that low. I dont know many people that launch their boat with the motor trimmed down. I dont know many people that launch their boat very forcefully... remember all the stuff I listed is just theory...