PDA

View Full Version : G-Force Equal Length Oval Drag Tuners on 20" OS Mid

Frequent Flyer
04-22-2001, 06:43 PM
I've been told that the G-Force equal length oval drag tuners can cause water to be sucked into the #6 piston (especially a short tuner on a 20" midsection). After experiencing 5, #6 failures last season I'd like to keep my new powerhead in one piece and am wondering if the tuner should be changed back to stock. I'm in the process of doing so but having a problem with frozen bolts so I'm considering leaving the tuner as is.
Any help/experiences will be greatly appreciated.
Also looking at the water pump housing and noticed that the back half of that round gasket/wide-o ring was chewed up witch could possibly allow water to spirt directly into the tuner (I'm changing that one).
Frequent Flyer
260EFI, OS Mid, CLE lowerunit

Raceman
04-22-2001, 09:59 PM
This is just my opinion, not insured by FDIC, batteries not included, certain restrictions apply, shipping and handling extra, some patients may experience mild side effects...... My 260 has had 2 of the brand tuners you mentioned to break off right below the plate as have several other people I know. That means that sooner or later you'll probably have to deal with the bolt issue anyway, so it might as well be now. The only reason the second one was ever put in was it came with the boat when I bought it. Still waiting on a supposedly free replacement for the second one that broke several years ago. I don't think it made any difference whatsoever, good or bad, over the stock 260 tuner when it was in one piece. When it broke off and was 4 or 5 inches shorter, it still made no difference except for the annoying rattle of the pieces on top of the water pump. I ain't gonna sugar coat it, I think these tuners are the biggest sucker punch ever put on high performance boaters. They aren't the same as changing the stinger on an expansion chamber, although that's what the people selling em would like to make everybody believe. Put the Merc piece back on. It's trouble free and runs the same.