PDA

View Full Version : project begins

Scott
04-22-2001, 05:59 PM
Sure are enjoying the posts. Our project 1977 15' Baja
went into the garage this afternoon. Underestimated the weight tho! 3 guys and bobcat skiploader later and its in.
The bottom is in good shape no blisters but some deep scratches, though not into the glass itself. So here is where I begin asking Q's. I am assuming that all I need to do is a light sanding and then primer and paint? Any specific primer? Am appreciative of all for their help. Kath and I will have our site up soon and post the photos as we go. Gotta love the digital cameras! Thanks again!

Techno
04-22-2001, 07:42 PM
Any epoxy primer would be excellant. Just about anything you spray it with will contain some nasty stuff. The epoxy primer contains Isocyanate stuff which is bad if your not properly protected from it. Just about anything you spray it with will have something nasty abut it.

JTS Racing
04-22-2001, 09:53 PM
Are you sure you want to paint? Is it gelcoat now or has it been painted? Gel would be a better choice and is a more durable finish. If you decide to paint, first, sand and fill the scratches with epoxy and then resand flush. Primers were meant to bond paint to surfaces, not fill wounds. An expoxy paint would be a good choice if you decide to paint.

3 guys and and a Bobcat? I've been flipping the hydro over at least once a week for the past two months as the capsule was been added and other mod's were being made. The wife and I can pick it up and carry it about anywhere we want. And it's 16' ;).

Barney
04-24-2001, 04:24 PM
I know Merlin is there somewhere, maybe you don't know it but he's in there. I guess that might be better for your wife, she can be true to you and still have an affair with Merlin. She won't have to cheat.

Now for a more complicated question, have you ever raced Merlin? Which one of you favors the clamp-on? (that was a bold confession)It would be allot more fum busting their ass with the smoker!

You did know that Barney is really an evolved dragon!
:D :eek: :rolleyes: :cool: :D

04-24-2001, 05:38 PM
Of course it takes more people to handle. My 16'8" baja weighs 150lbs. more than my 20' Hydrostream!

Techno
04-24-2001, 07:57 PM
I have my doubts about gel coat, it's just colored polyester resin. Modern urethane paints are plastic like gel coat so they should be just as durable. I'm mostly talking about the epoxy primers and catylized clear coats. The only difference is gel coat is put on pretty thick compared to paint. Kind of like that coran counter top stuff. Just my opinion.

Hydro is right about fixing any blemishes. The biggest part of any finishing job is prepping the surface before you finish it.

You can gel coat without spraying it on but it requires lots of BLOCK SANDING.

JTS Racing
04-24-2001, 10:54 PM
Jus ribing about da weight :). Techno, I was refering to repairing what's there and buff. Lot easier than preping to paint. There are some excellent paints out there, some a little expensive, but good stuff and will stay on a long time if surface is prepared right. Jus remember that glass flexes. If you use a paint that cures too hard it will crack. I hate sanding. Mine is epoxy surface finished. Dat was a pain in da a$$:(.

And yes Barney, Merlin was there to help. Da pack of Oreo's helped too;). Me wife is loving it, and I likes it too. Always wanted to have two affairs with the same gal:eek:.

Oh yea,,,,an evolved Dragonious!! Question is which way on the elvolution ladder are you headed:confused:

Scott
04-25-2001, 06:16 AM
Wow, I sank into a deep depression when I was sure you and the Mrs. could lift your boat. Whats worse is that news also sent two other firends into a downward spiral of bag after bag of cookies and gallons of milk. Gary alone has gained a good 20 lbs. I was in no way thinking that the primer or paint would fill the scratches but was more worried about what Hydro brought up, future cracking in the finish if the wrong primer or paint was used. a couple trips to US/Boats and I think I have the stuff. Hydro you mentioned "other bottom mods" Your suggestions with rteguard to mine are appreciated. Oh, we almost have to paint, original bule/silver heavy metalflake on the top is in bad shape and someone had "tried" to paint the top half prior.